PDA

View Full Version : Draytek 2600Ge wireless router thumbs up!

purana
26th July 2004, 08:56 PM
I just wanted to post this information incase it benefits someone else in a similar position.

I purchased a Billion 7500G about 2 months ago and had a few issues with it, which then got me onto the beta firmware team which solved the early problems. But then I got a Powerbook with airport extreme and instantly began having issues left right and centre. Each time new patched firmwares came it still didn't make the router behave. I eventually got the company to accept it back as I was sick of doing tinkering with new firmwares only to find it still crashes or causes other problems.

Now comes the replacement... we ended up getting a Draytek 2600Ge as the replacement. I plugged it in on Thursday night. Configured WEP128 etc... and since installing it I've not had one single crash or problem. The only thing to happen in that time has been my ADSL wan link dropped once (and the billion 7500G done this many times for no reason at all).

I just wanted to post and let people know my thoughts. I'd throughly recommend someone in a similar situation look at this unit. It works great with the airport extreme machine and my wifes Senao wireless mini pci card in her Compaq. I can't be more happy in the last few days then with the Billion in the 2 months I had it.

And in my situation I found the Billion to be a total problem.

Ozi
26th July 2004, 10:05 PM
Well our house is wired with an Asanté Friendlynet 1004 AL and this is great for the 4 roaming laptops which use a combination of Airport, Airport Extreme and some crappy PC wireless card. So yeah, I can recommend this as a great wireless router. It has never gone down (although Optus cable has... grrrrr) and offers good reception throughout our fairly large house. (except for out near the 4 tennis courts, or the 50 M swimming pool. :lol:)

purana
27th July 2004, 10:45 AM
Well considering this router has ran sweet to date, thought I'd post some good vibes... especially since my 7500G I had was causing me so many problems.

estoyloco
27th July 2004, 10:54 AM
Just a quick question... would a better router make better range.... or would a better "airport type card" be better.. because i read somewhere that a DLINK PMCIA card pluged into your PB will give a better range...

anyone know??? the best cards for range?????

purana
27th July 2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Jul 27 2004, 10:54 AM
Just a quick question... would a better router make better range.... or would a better "airport type card" be better.. because i read somewhere that a DLINK PMCIA card pluged into your PB will give a better range...

anyone know??? the best cards for range?????
No offence, but how does this relate to the router thread? Sure its wireless, but we were discussing routers...

Meanwhile, I wouldn't dare plug in dlink pcmcia into my pb 15". The inbuilt antenna in my opinion would be better then the diversty antenna built into the end of the pcmcia card.

Meanwhile do you have this so called stuff you read for a reference?