PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Applications

TimAnAussie
21st September 2005, 08:36 AM
I download a pprogram and it shows on my desktop as an image and a dmg file.
I drag the image into Applications Folder.
THen i drag the image from the Desktop into Trash ,,,, now the application in my applications folder turns into an Alias ???
What am i doing wrong ,, i even followed the example in Articles

froggy
21st September 2005, 08:39 AM
I'm no expert, but I think that you missed some stuff. You should not drag the dmg to your applications folder. Rather, the dmg should have expanded and then you can take the expanded file/folder to your applications folder.

HTH

emacmark
21st September 2005, 08:45 AM
Thats exactly what I do froggy :thumbup:

edit Tim, when you downloaded the file, it sounds like you have ended up with a .dmg. You have to open it (expand) it and then you should see the application you need to drag to your applications folder. Usually, there is also a README file, which is what you should do before going any further.

soulman
21st September 2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by TimAnAussie@Sep 21 2005, 08:36 AM
THen i drag the image from the Desktop into Trash ,,,, now the application in my applications folder turns into an Alias ???
It doesn't change to an alias after you trash the original. Dragging a mounted disk image (or any disk for that matter) always creates an alias - watch the icon as you do it (you'll get a little curved arrow near the bottom left) & check the resulting item after you've done the drag.

To copy the image - which is what you are attempting to do and which is a fair enough way to do drag & drop app installs - hold the Option key while dragging. This is not the way that is described in the article on how to install apps on this site, btw.

Disko
21st September 2005, 03:09 PM
You're almost there Tim. What you're forgetting to do is to open the image and drag what is inside it to applications - not the image itself.

You're right to drag the image to the trash afterwards though. :thumbup:

Good luck, tell us how you go.

soulman
21st September 2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Sep 21 2005, 03:09 PM
What you're forgetting to do is to open the image and drag what is inside it to applications - not the image itself.
Ummm, don't think so. Read the original post again. :) He's dragging the mounted volume to his apps folder & getting an alias. You try it - that's what happens. If you drag an image file, it will move (or copy if it's on another volume).

It would probably help people like Tim if we all used the correct terminology too:
What we start with is a disk image file which has a dmg extension. Double-clicking this file mounts a virtual disk or volume that behaves like any other volume, i.e. dragging it to the Trash will eject it. Ejecting a volume mounted from a disk image file doesn't delete the file itself.

tommelbourne
21st September 2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by soulman@Sep 21 2005, 05:27 PM
Ummm, don't think so. Read the original post again. :) He's dragging the mounted volume to his apps folder & getting an alias. You try it - that's what happens. If you drag an image file, it will move (or copy if it's on another volume).
All Tim wants to know how to do is to install an application from a .dmg onto his hard drive. I don't think he was attempting to put a mounted volume into his hard drive, so why go about confusing things by describing how to do this and how Tim was wrong in what he was originally doing? Yes, you are correct in describing how to avoid creating an alias when copying a mounted volume, but i do not think this is what Tim was aiming to achieve.

Disko
21st September 2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by soulman@Sep 21 2005, 04:57 PM
If you drag an image file, it will move (or copy if it's on another volume).
hence why i said 'image' and not 'image file'. if you drag a mounted image to the applications folder, you get an alias - which is what i'm assuming Tim has done.

Rayd
21st September 2005, 06:11 PM
dont forget to actually drag the DMG file not just the image file, draggin the image file to the trash will eject the image, but once you have the contents of it on your HD, there is no need for the DMG either, so both... in the bin :D

soulman
21st September 2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by tommelbourne+Sep 21 2005, 05:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tommelbourne &#064; Sep 21 2005, 05:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>All Tim wants to know how to do is to install an application from a .dmg onto his hard drive. I don&#39;t think he was attempting to put a mounted volume into his hard drive, so why go about confusing things by describing how to do this...[/b]
I wasn&#39;t confusing things, which I think would be clear if you had maybe tried what I suggested - doing what I said installs his app. Going back to the beginning, it&#39;s clear that he was dragging the mounted volume to his HD:

Originally posted by TimAnAussie@Sep 21 2005, 08:36 AM
I download a pprogram and it shows on my desktop as an image and a dmg file.
He has a disk image file and a mounted volume from that file, which he&#39;s calling an image, and he is dragging the volume to his apps folder. This creates an alias, which breaks when the disk image file is deleted.

<!--QuoteBegin-tommelbourne@Sep 21 2005, 05:43 PM
...and how Tim was wrong in what he was originally doing?[/quote]
No, I was actually suggesting that Disko was wrong. Having read his recent response, I would now say that I found his 1st post confusing due to its terminology. I actually read it wrong, thinking he meant &#39;disk image file&#39; when he said &#39;image.&#39; I still think it was ambiguous - it makes sense and can be followed either way - but whatever.

Yes, you are correct in describing how to avoid creating an alias when copying a mounted volume, but i do not think this is what Tim was aiming to achieve.
I gave him directions for installing his app in a not-quite-standard way. I did this because he was 90% there already and because I didn&#39;t want to tell him he was doing it the &#39;wrong&#39; way.

Say I have a volume mounted from a disk image file that contains an app & a Read Me and maybe some sample AppleScripts to go with it or something. If I just drag the app (copying it) to my apps folder, I have to create a new folder there to hold the other items and copy them too. If I just option-drag the volume itself, I get a folder in my apps folder containing the app I&#39;m installing and all its support files. This folder will retain any custom icon that the mounted volume had too.

This is a perfectly legitimate and useful way to do a drag & drop install and is what I suggested to Tim because it was pretty much what he was doing. I did this rather than suggest he open the mounted volume and drag the app to his HD because he said he&#39;d already read the instructions on how to do that and they didn&#39;t click for him it would seem. So, instead of telling him he should be doing it another way, I gave him a functional method for doing it his way.

What a mess this topic has become. And for something so simple. :(

Squozen
21st September 2005, 08:21 PM
Next week, we shall learn how to set the Desktop Background. You will need the following:

* 30 metres String
* 12 Paperclips
* 1/2 tsp Salt
* 3 Apples
* a Goat
* 3 Sherpa Guides (2 to sacrifice to the Pit Beast)
* an English-to-Hungarian Phrasebook

and of course, let&#39;s not forget:

* a Bionic Disco Chicken

See you then&#33; :ph34r:

tommelbourne
21st September 2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by soulman@Sep 21 2005, 08:01 PM
I wasn&#39;t confusing things, which I think would be clear if you had maybe tried what I suggested - doing what I said installs his app. Going back to the beginning, it&#39;s clear that he was dragging the mounted volume to his HD:

He has a disk image file and a mounted volume from that file, which he&#39;s calling an image, and he is dragging the volume to his apps folder. This creates an alias, which breaks when the disk image file is deleted.

No, I was actually suggesting that Disko was wrong. Having read his recent response, I would now say that I found his 1st post confusing due to its terminology. I actually read it wrong, thinking he meant &#39;disk image file&#39; when he said &#39;image.&#39; I still think it was ambiguous - it makes sense and can be followed either way - but whatever.

I gave him directions for installing his app in a not-quite-standard way. I did this because he was 90% there already and because I didn&#39;t want to tell him he was doing it the &#39;wrong&#39; way.

Say I have a volume mounted from a disk image file that contains an app & a Read Me and maybe some sample AppleScripts to go with it or something. If I just drag the app (copying it) to my apps folder, I have to create a new folder there to hold the other items and copy them too. If I just option-drag the volume itself, I get a folder in my apps folder containing the app I&#39;m installing and all its support files. This folder will retain any custom icon that the mounted volume had too.

This is a perfectly legitimate and useful way to do a drag & drop install and is what I suggested to Tim because it was pretty much what he was doing. I did this rather than suggest he open the mounted volume and drag the app to his HD because he said he&#39;d already read the instructions on how to do that and they didn&#39;t click for him it would seem. So, instead of telling him he should be doing it another way, I gave him a functional method for doing it his way.

What a mess this topic has become. And for something so simple. :(
Points taken. I guess i am just so engrained in my old ways i never considered installing entire folders instead of just the apps. I take back my criticisms. I have now even learnt a new way to install apps&#33;

Currawong
21st September 2005, 09:17 PM
I miss the old Classic behaviour where if you dragged a disk (image) to the hd, it would create a folder with the name and copy all the contents. Why they broke that behaviour I don&#39;t know, it was stupid.

soulman
21st September 2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Sep 21 2005, 08:21 PM
Next week, we shall learn how to set the Desktop Background...
...a Bionic Disco Chicken

See you then&#33; :ph34r:
Wouldn&#39;t miss it. There is actually another way that doesn&#39;t require a disco chicken...umm...nah...don&#39;t worry about it - I&#39;ll go with your way. Promise&#33; :P

Also glad that tommelbourne found a new way to install apps - cheers man&#33; :)

TimAnAussie
22nd September 2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks Guy&#39;s for all the response, and like you say,,, for such a simple Task.
Ok,,, I have just come across too Mac after longggg time in Windows, Hence the Drag thing and my vagueness on Disk Image files and Mounts
Anyways , i think ive dechyphered the comments here to come up with 2 workable ways of getting an appliation installed
Thanks again ,, obviously a good forum here :)

TimAnAussie
22nd September 2005, 01:26 AM
OK,,, Ive got it now,,,
Option 1
clcik/open the dmg file, now i have a mounted volume icon.
click/open the mounted volume. now i have a window containing the files.
Drag them wherever ,, then delete stuff.

Option 2
clcik/open the dmg file.
then OptionKey/click and drag the volume wherever ,,, that wrks too.

ok,,, heres what i WAS doing ,,,
click/open the dmg file,, then
click/open the volume icon ,,, this opend a window with 2 files ( i thought this was all just a pretty picture :o and followed its prmpt and dragged the volume over to application folder ,,,,,andd well you know.

ok,,, now all i have to do is ,,,,, :)

tommelbourne
22nd September 2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by TimAnAussie@Sep 22 2005, 01:26 AM
OK,,, Ive got it now,,,
Option 1
clcik/open the dmg file, now i have a mounted volume icon.
click/open the mounted volume. now i have a window containing the files.
Drag them wherever ,, then delete stuff.

Option 2
clcik/open the dmg file.
then OptionKey/click and drag the volume wherever ,,, that wrks too.

ok,,, heres what i WAS doing ,,,
click/open the dmg file,, then
click/open the volume icon ,,, this opend a window with 2 files ( i thought this was all just a pretty picture :o and followed its prmpt and dragged the volume over to application folder ,,,,,andd well you know.

ok,,, now all i have to do is ,,,,, :)
Spot On&#33; Im gad you were able to &#39;decode&#39; this thread and actually get out the info that you needed. We aren&#39;t usually this bad with tech help, i promise&#33;