PDA

View Full Version : Converting .WMA files to MP3

little_yoharn
9th July 2010, 11:02 AM
Howdy all
I have had a friend put a couple of albums from a windows machine on to my external hard drive and when I go to drag them to iTunes on my Mac iTunes will not accept them, so I am presuming I need to convert them? But what program do I use?

Thanks
LY

Balthazar
9th July 2010, 11:49 AM
Install perian (http://perian.org/#download) or flip4mac (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/flip4mac.mspx)and you wont need to convert them.

derf
9th July 2010, 12:10 PM
On a PC you can convert wma to mp3 by dragging the file to iTunes but this does not work on iTunes on mac. I always tried to do the iTunes conversion on a PC before adding them to my macbook.

little_yoharn
9th July 2010, 01:23 PM
OK so After downloading perian mentioned by Balthazar I will then be able to drag them to iTunes to play them?
Is that how it works!!
LY

Balthazar
9th July 2010, 01:31 PM
Hmmm not sure,
You can play it with Quicktime but i dont know if iTunes will play it.

little_yoharn
9th July 2010, 01:32 PM
Yes that I think is the problem, I would like to load it all into iTunes Library!!

titan44
9th July 2010, 02:59 PM
A problem I hit when assisting a switcher was that they had ripped all their CD's with Windows Media Player, unbeknownst to them, WMP had thoughtfully encoded the wma's with DRM.

The only real way of getting around it was to use a virtual CD burner and get WMP to burn an virtual Audio CD with it.

No the best solution audio quality wise, but it did the job.

Friends don't let friends rip with WMP.

Balthazar
9th July 2010, 03:04 PM

Friends don't let friends use windows

Japester
9th July 2010, 03:05 PM
A problem I hit when assisting a switcher was that they had ripped all their CD's with Windows Media Player, unbeknownst to them, WMP had thoughtfully encoded the wma's with DRM.

The only real way of getting around it was to use a virtual CD burner and get WMP to burn an virtual Audio CD with it.

No the best solution audio quality wise, but it did the job.

Huh! That's the lazy way out. Why not rerip them from the CDs and take the opportunity to use a higher bitrate?

titan44
9th July 2010, 03:07 PM
No argument here, but the original Cd's weren't "available"

Japester
9th July 2010, 03:10 PM
No argument here, but the original Cd's weren't "available"

I've heard of people ripping to a lossy format, then throwing away their CDs. What kind of maniac would do that?

If the CDs were copies, I have no sympathy.

Balthazar
9th July 2010, 03:11 PM
I've heard of people ripping to a lossy format, then throwing away their CDs. What kind of maniac would do that?

There is always torrents :)

jusrus
9th July 2010, 05:13 PM
I use an application called 'Switch' for all audio conversions - works great. Google is your friend.

tcimac
9th July 2010, 10:31 PM
+ 1 for switch.

by the way, it's illegal to format shift copyright material and then dispose of the original product! i.e ripping a CD then selling the CD. I am sure you are all very nervous now ;-)

little_yoharn
10th July 2010, 02:20 PM
Yes well I just down loaded all2mp3 (mac) and it works a treat, bit slow but works fine
All2MP3 (Mac) - Download (http://all2mp3.en.softonic.com/mac)
I also tried ffmpegx this also worked fine, Now I've got a bit of work to do converting these dame .wma files.

LY