PDA

View Full Version : Apple Mail: Return Receipt?

yitzyf
20th September 2005, 07:34 PM
I remember in programs such as Netscape in OS9 you were able to request a return receipt when you sent someone an email. Can this be done in Mail (Tiger)? I looked through the help file, but nothing came up.

Senna
20th September 2005, 07:38 PM
What about Entourage as well? I want it!

Squozen
20th September 2005, 08:41 PM
Return receipts are evil. :angry:

neilrobinson
20th September 2005, 08:55 PM
nope :angry:

i would like to be able to use it on select emails to clients etc :thumbup: using another mail program is the only way.

neil

LCGuy
20th September 2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Sep 20 2005, 08:41 PM
Return receipts are evil. :angry:
How are they "evil"?

Squozen
21st September 2005, 02:47 PM
A few reasons:

1. They increase the amount of mail being sent around the net for no good reason. If your email didn't bounce back to you with a delivery error, it got to your recipient's inbox on the server, and requesting a receipt proves nothing.

2. If your mail client supports receipts, you get pestered with prompts to send them back to the sender. Very annoying unless you turn it off permanently, or set it to auto-confirm.

3. If you set your client to automatically return a receipt, you confirm to spammers that your email address is valid. Grats you on more spam.

Danamania
21st September 2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Sep 21 2005, 02:47 PM
A few reasons:

1. They increase the amount of mail being sent around the net for no good reason. If your email didn't bounce back to you with a delivery error, it got to your recipient's inbox on the server, and requesting a receipt proves nothing.

2. If your mail client supports receipts, you get pestered with prompts to send them back to the sender. Very annoying unless you turn it off permanently, or set it to auto-confirm.

3. If you set your client to automatically return a receipt, you confirm to spammers that your email address is valid. Grats you on more spam.
4. Not all clients support return receipts, and not all those that do honour them. If you send an email and get no return receipt, you still don't know if the email didn't get to the client, went somewhere else, arrived but wasn't read, the client turned off the option to return receipts, or clicked no when asked to return a receipt for that mail.

It's a method that only has true positives, but no true negative. You can tell if mail arrived if you get a receipt, but you can't tell that mail DIDN'T arrive if you didn't get a receipt.

Flinders1231
21st September 2005, 05:25 PM
Have a look at http://home.tiscalinet.ch/david.frank/projects/mailpriority/

MailPriority worked just fine when I used it prior to upgrading to Tiger - I haven't tested but would guess would not work with Tiger.

For mail applications in general have a look at http://www.tikouka.net/mailapp/

Squozen
21st September 2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks, Dana. Lists are fun! :)

timgaden
29th September 2005, 11:32 AM
It can be done, but as Flinders fears, not with MailPriority. It doesn't work in Tiger and the developer has no plans to make it work.

There is a terminal hack (http://www.timgaden.com/hawkwings/2005/09/09/return-receipts-in-mail-20/) for this, but it will affect all your emails.

budspwr@ntelos.net
25th June 2007, 04:10 AM
I know this question is an old one but the issues still exists. What would prefer is knowing if and when the email was opened.

Is this possible with today’s software?

toholio
25th June 2007, 04:54 AM
I know this question is an old one but the issues still exists. What would prefer is knowing if and when the email was opened.

Is this possible with today’s software?

That depends. As stated above, not all e-mail clients understand return receipts and not all of them honour them. I specifically disable return receipts wherever possible.

If you send HTML e-mails then you could put a link to an image with a unique URL for every e-mail you send but this will annoy people who don't like HTML e-mail and will increase the chances of your messages being marked as spam.

Basically, you can't rely on them and you should never let yourself get into a situation where you need to. If you really, absolutely, must know if someone got an e-mail from you pick up the phone and call them. :rolleyes: