PDA

View Full Version : Micro Sim Cutting Service.

Bradster
8th July 2010, 10:09 AM
#+=

drewbles
8th July 2010, 11:48 AM
If any residents in Brisbane, Australia would like their Sim cards cut down to Micro Sim size for their iPhone 4 or iPad, I have a Micro-Sim cutter that can do the job in seconds.

I cannot guarantee that cutting down a Sim for your iPad will work as I don't know if the iPad has any sort of special checks for the type of Sim cards used in them or not, so do this at your own risk.

I CAN guarantee however that it works for the iPhone 4.

Leave me a private message and I'll contact you if you wish to have this done.

Out of interest, which SIM cutter did you get? I'm waiting on mine to arrive (should be here any day apparently).

decryption
8th July 2010, 11:53 AM
I want to know which one both of you got - I've got a lot of SIMs to cut too, hah

drewbles
8th July 2010, 12:49 PM
I want to know which one both of you got - I've got a lot of SIMs to cut too, hah

Cut My Sim (http://www.cutmysim.com). Shipped on the 30th from the Netherlands. So, if they're not too busy watching the World Cup, I should have it soon (at least I should based on their delivery projections).

I'll be able to cut 'em up for people around Melbourne, perhaps for a beer donation (per SIM, so if you have a lot, I may be in an advanced state of refreshment by the time I finish :P).

toholio
8th July 2010, 02:24 PM
I'll be able to cut 'em up for people around Melbourne, perhaps for a beer donation (per SIM, so if you have a lot, I may be in an advanced state of refreshment by the time I finish :P).

I was planning on just using scissors on my SIM but might take you up on this if Telstra wont hand a microSIM over.

I'm jealous I didn't think of this idea.

bulletmark
8th July 2010, 09:09 PM
I cut my sim down using ordinary scissors and one of the online guides. It really was pretty easy and I got a good result even though I am generally hopeless with my hands.

DeKa
8th July 2010, 09:57 PM
I've offered the same service in Sydney... in another thread. I have exactly the same thing which bought for US$12 from yourbluetoothtech.com - I notice they have since put the price up though!

drewbles
12th July 2010, 12:06 PM
Micro SIM cutter finally arrived today. Used it to cut up 4-5 SIM cards to test and they all worked fine.

Sure you can DIY with scissors, but this is so much easier:)

threestringedwunda
17th July 2010, 04:53 PM
I might take you up on that offer when I get my new phone next month if (when) 3 make life difficult and dont hand over a micro sim.

threefurryfaces
27th July 2010, 11:04 PM
Cut My Sim (http://www.cutmysim.com).

Can you help with cutting my SIM to a microsim? On Virgin Mobile and they don't issue Microsims yet but I want to get an iPhone 4 from the Apple Store when it's released. I live in Melbourne. Happy to give a beer donation!

drewbles
27th July 2010, 11:21 PM
Can you help with cutting my SIM to a microsim? On Virgin Mobile and they don't issue Microsims yet but I want to get an iPhone 4 from the Apple Store when it's released. I live in Melbourne. Happy to give a beer donation!

No problem can do. I'm flying out on Friday around lunch time but can do it before hand or when I get back (Monday morning). I'm around South Melbourne and will be in the T-Life Queue on Thursday night if you wanna cruise by. Just drop me a PM saying where you'd like to meet:)

threefurryfaces
28th July 2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threefurryfaces View Post
No problem can do. I'm flying out on Friday around lunch time but can do it before hand or when I get back (Monday morning). I'm around South Melbourne and will be in the T-Life Queue on Thursday night if you wanna cruise by. Just drop me a PM saying where you'd like to meet.

Thanks. I can only get it cut after I get the phone not before, so will be in touch after that. Hopefully Monday. Don't intend to queue at the Apple Store so might miss out.....

macaholic
29th July 2010, 09:09 AM
Dewbies, does your SIM cutter method allow going back to full size, ie using adhesive tape to hold the two pieces together?

drewbles
29th July 2010, 11:35 AM
Dewbies, does your SIM cutter method allow going back to full size, ie using adhesive tape to hold the two pieces together?

The cutter came with 2 adaptors, but they're not part of the offer as I actually do use them on a daily basis:)

Kewy
29th July 2010, 11:37 AM
anyone in Sydney offering to do a free sim card cut?

Rambler
29th July 2010, 11:45 AM
anyone in Sydney offering to do a free sim card cut?

Yes here Sim Cutting Service - Apple Sydney Queue - iPhone - Whirlpool Forums (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1496475)

Bradster
30th July 2010, 01:59 PM
Was in line early this morning @Robina to get a Dock (previous experience has shown if you don't get one on launch day you can wait weeks for stock to come in)... I'm in Brisbane but Robina's closer to my work.

I cut about 12-15 Sim's for people in the line, and some had a look and play with my phone.

Curiously, as I was leaving to exit the centre (after cutting someone's Sim), there were probably about 100+ people lined up all waiting to buy their iPhone 4's outright and I asked out aloud if anyone wanted to cut their Sim's but they just stared blankly or shook their heads...

Maybe they're using the scissors, or they didn't know their existing Sim wouldn't fit?

Anyway, I didn't charge anything for people to have their Sim's cut... Just surprised more people didn't want theirs done.

If anyone finds they want theirs cut, let me know... I didn't say there'd be a charge.

Huy
30th July 2010, 03:48 PM
If only you were in Sydney Brad. I bought it outright today and now I don't have a microSIM. Vodafone don't have any or said their systems are down and try another store. I'm on prepaid Voda.

Bradster
30th July 2010, 09:03 PM
@ Huy,

Someone from Sydney had flown up here to Brissy to get theirs and had sent me a PM to see if I could cut theirs, but I got their msg too late... He had to leave @ 2.30pm.

I hope he finds someone down there who can do it for him.

Bradster
30th July 2010, 09:06 PM
My Sim-cutter allows you to retain the rest of your original Sim card also if you have to use it in another phone.

You just use some tape on the back and it's ready for use in a phone that requires a full-size Sim. :-)

I'm going to Sunnybank Plaza tomorrow morning before 12 noon to see if they have any cases there - I can bring my Sim-cutter along if anyone wants theirs cut?

Just PM and I'll see if I can arrange it. Won't charge you - I put the Sim in the right way for you, get you to give it a good squeeze if you're happy with how it lines up, and remove the outer Sim and you take them away... a happy iPhone 4 owner who can now use it (has to be activated on iTunes first before you can make calls with the Micro-Sim in it).

Easy as.

Huy
30th July 2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks Brad. I actually ended up with a microSIM! Went to the Vodafone store just on luck and they had some for me. All ready to rock and roll in 20 minutes. Activated no problem on iTunes and is unlocked.

threestringedwunda
30th July 2010, 09:28 PM
Thankyou for the offer Brad. When I bought outright at the Apple Store, they gave me a 3 Micro sim, rang 3 and organised the swap over for me. Even transferred my contacts.

marc
30th July 2010, 10:15 PM
I was hoping to bump into Decryption for some free SIM-cutting help. I didn't see him though, so I risked it myself... luckily, didn't botch it. It was actually very easy once I plucked up enough courage to give it a crack.

http://homepage.mac.com/marcedwards/forumbits/cutting-sim.jpg

This is my wife's SIM. Apple had Vodafone microSIMs, but not Virgin microSIMs.

drewbles
30th July 2010, 10:19 PM
I was hoping to bump into Decryption for some free SIM-cutting help. I didn't see him though, so I risked it myself... luckily, didn't botch it. It was actually very easy once I plucked up enough courage to give it a crack.

http://homepage.mac.com/marcedwards/forumbits/cutting-sim.jpg

This is my wife's SIM. Apple had Vodafone microSIMs, but not Virgin microSIMs.

Could have bumped into me (I was a few up from tcn33 in the T-Life queue) and I would've cut it for you.

Offer is still there for Melbourneites (although i'm in Sydney until Monday).

wholikespotatoes
30th July 2010, 10:23 PM
After getting somebody to hold my place in the 6 hour long Chadstone queue, i went to t-life to find out about getting a microsim for my existing telstra prepaid service.
Initially the guy was very unhelpful, told me they don't deal with prepaid and i'd have to ring the support line.

After purchasing my iPhone 4, i went back and spoke to somebody different, they gave me a blank microsim on the spot and told me to ring the support line instore and they would transfer my sim over. This happened immediately.

So if anyone is looking for a microsim on telstra prepaid, worth knowing this is one way it can be done.

imszb
2nd August 2010, 09:02 PM
I'm in Brisbane until 4th Aug Morning, can any one help me out, I got iphone4, but stuck in the middle of the chaos now, if anyone know how to cut the sim, send email to imszb@hotmail.com please, thanks.