PDA

View Full Version : Firewire File Transfer Woes

rudiger53
20th September 2005, 04:22 PM
hey everyone

I've got a problem here. I have a brand new iMac G5 here, and want to transfer files off of a powermac g3. I have a Sonnet Tango Firewire/USB card installed in the G3, and I thought i could just use firewire to directly transfer the files. Now, the problem is that its not working. I did the whol restart while holding down T thing, but it aint working. If any of you guys know if there is a issue with using expansion cards with firewire transfer or how i can fix this, it would be a great help.

hMc
21st September 2005, 12:20 AM
I think it should be fine as long as you are running osX on the G3.
If it is running 9 then it will need FireWire software version 2.3.3 or later.

*NOTE* - Make sure you don't connect the cable until the firewire icon appears on the iMac.

Hope that helps

kaisersozay
24th September 2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by hMc@Sep 21 2005, 12:20 AM
*NOTE* - Make sure you don't connect the cable until the firewire icon appears on the iMac.

I know zero about Firewire and was just trying to glean a bit of info when I saw your comment. I have a G4 running 10.2.8 with 2 x Firewire 6 pin ports and also a DVD Player/recorder with a 4 pin Firewire port [labelled Div] and I was thinking of backing up my DVD from the Mac to the Player/recorder. I have an appropriate cable [4 pin and 6 pin] but with both units powered up, nothing mounts.
When I read your comment I concluded that somehow an icon representing a Firewire connection must appear. Is that so? Cn you simplify this for a slow learner?
I assumed that firewire worked similarly to USB... connect up and with a File at one end and a drive at the other, the object would appear on the desktop.
I have searched Apple for a simpletons Idiot Guide, but no luck, all too tech [for me at least].
So, can you elaborate a bit on the procedure?

The Architect.mac
24th September 2005, 12:07 PM
The Unusual Suspects

The input on your DVD recorder (an AV component - not a computer peripheral - eg, burner) is an iLink/FW400 input for a digital video camera, not a FW Hard drive or Burner that can mount on a computer.

If you explain how you are trying to backup a DVD, there are other programs and Burners for stuff like that.

kaisersozay
24th September 2005, 12:20 PM
The Architect.mac
Thank you. I appreciate the straight answer. I will not bother the Player /Recorder again with my Mac.
I have a complicated AV system from my satellite decoder and run two dvd players in separate parts of the house. I have duplicated dvd's [not protected] from one to the other via the AV inputs/Outputs and was toying with the idea when I saw the Firewire port.
I am aware of the other options and have acquired an external usb LG burner to utilise among my G4 and iBook. For this purpose I have Toast, Mac The Ripper and Yu Burn which should do the trick.
Back to Firewire though... are there any special things I should know, if I should use it [and I guess, sooner or later, I will] for external HDs etc?
In particular, the comment about the icon BEFORE connecting to the peripheral? How does that come about?

The Architect.mac
24th September 2005, 01:01 PM
Sounds like you got it sorted mate

I think the 'before cable connection' thing you are worried about is discussing booting from external Firewire Hard drives.

Firewire 400 and 800 is all forwards and backwards compatible.

FW400 4 pin has no power
FW400 6 pin has power
FW800 is hot as but only certain Hard drives at moment take advantage - LaCie d2 eXtreme triple interface drives etc

FW is also daisychainable but some power is required once the peripherals go beyond 3.

Sonnet make a ripper little FW800 to FW400 adapter so you can use the FW800 port with FW400 peripherals without buying new cables etc. Griffin make a FW800 ipod Dock connector cable.

FireWire 400 is faster than USB 2.0

Question - why is Griffin saying the Dock 800 cable is compaitble with the Nano when it is supposed to only sync over USB? -

Just some things that jumped to mind about FW

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IEEE_1394.html

Cheers

kaisersozay
24th September 2005, 04:28 PM
The Architect.mac
Thanks again. Pearls. Often familiarity with a subject precludes helpful info for the entry level beginner. I will place your information among my Mac Manuals collection. An important treasure trove I have been archiving since I realised all info is important and that Apple cannot be relied on to keep accessible after new models and upgrades have hit the market.

step_andy
24th September 2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by rudiger53@Sep 20 2005, 04:22 PM
hey everyone

I've got a problem here. I have a brand new iMac G5 here, and want to transfer files off of a powermac g3. I have a Sonnet Tango Firewire/USB card installed in the G3, and I thought i could just use firewire to directly transfer the files. Now, the problem is that its not working. I did the whol restart while holding down T thing, but it aint working. If any of you guys know if there is a issue with using expansion cards with firewire transfer or how i can fix this, it would be a great help.
What system are you running on G3?

The order you do things is important.

To transfer files using FireWire:
1. Shut down the first computer (g3) and leave the second computer on.
2. Connect the two computers using a 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable.
3. Start up the first computer while holding down the T key.
4. A disk icon for the first computer appears on the desktop on the second computer. Drag files to and from the disk to transfer them.

When you finish, eject the first computer's disk by dragging its icon to the Trash.
Push the power button on the first computer to shut it down and disconnect the FireWire cable.

Good luck
andy B)