PDA

View Full Version : "Windows friendly attachments" setting

ba2991
6th July 2010, 08:17 PM
Im sending an email with a attachment with mail 4.3 to a friend whom has a windows computer where is the setting to change the email to "Windows friendly attachments" so he can read my mac excel attachment cheers

cosmichobo
6th July 2010, 08:58 PM
I only have 4.2 running on this Macbook Pro 10.6.2... but it has the friendly option. When you click on the paperclip to attach, it's there on the file selection window.

mestevie
6th July 2010, 08:59 PM
From the first search result in Google:

there is an 'Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments' option in the Attachments sub-menu of the Edit menu which does just this. Of course if you send this to a Mac, it will still work OK.

[robg adds: I didn't realize this option was there, either, as you can only see the "Always" version in the Edit -> Attachments menu when looking at your main window. If you're already working on an email with an attachment, the sub-menu applies only to that email. Also note that if you send 'traditional' Mac programs to other Mac users, you do *not* want to strip the resource forks. A good number of Mac apps (older ones in particular) still keep a bunch of stuff in the resrouce fork.]

ada_lovelace
6th July 2010, 10:15 PM
As mentioned above the option appears in the file selection window when you go to attach... in the more recent versions of Mail I'm pretty sure it is set automatically to be Windows friendly.

I've also found on occasion that it makes a difference 'where' you attach the file when sending to Windows users - if you're having problems, make sure your cursor is at the very end of the email and then attach the file, so that there are no characters in the email after the attachment.

cosmichobo
6th July 2010, 10:48 PM
One of my parent's PC friends complains about this issue every time they try send him an email with pics, even when I've shown them how to do the friendly send.

So the "friendly" option strips the rsrc fork! Ah, makes sense.

sirstaunch
7th July 2010, 01:14 AM
Don't ever remembering having to change it but know it's there, so I'm guessing it was default yeah?

incanspyder
7th July 2010, 10:44 AM
does this actually do anything to e.g. word docs? it's not like it evens appends a file extension..

ba2991
7th July 2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you

I only have 4.2 running on this Macbook Pro 10.6.2... but it has the friendly option. When you click on the paperclip to attach, it's there on the file selection window.