PDA

View Full Version : Please help me! Need help with streaming between PC and my new Mac OSX

User420
6th July 2010, 06:19 AM
First off, i would like to say i appreciate all the help i've gotten off this forum. I read a lot of posts which got me switched from buying a new HP to a new 27" Mac.

Now, off to my first and most confusing question. I have another PC in a different room hooked up to the network with file sharing enabled. It uses Windows Media Player to stream the music and vids to the Xbox 360 out in the living room that has a wifi adapter. All that works just fine, but i can't find any simple way to get the streaming to work to have those videos and music streaming to the Mac. I read that there are a lot of 3rd party software i have to download like TVersity (which i tried before between the PC and Xbox and hate it)... I am still new to using the Mac. I managed to find something in the settings to enable file sharing but that's as far as ive gotten. If anyone can help me with this i would very much appreciate it! Thanks so much.

Ps. I have the newest OS for the Mac and Windows 7 Ultimate on the PC.

macrich
6th July 2010, 07:17 AM
Is your stuff on iTunes on the PC?
If so, then go to the PC and turn on "Share my library on my local network". It will then turn up on other iTunes machines in your local network.

The other thing you can do is set your Mac iTunes up to not "copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" and then you can store the data at it's current location and still add it to the Macs library without taking up space on the Mac.

Keep in mind though that iTunes will not load files unless they are mp3, aac, wav, aiff, mp4, m4v. If you have video files that are AVI or other, then you will need to convert them to mp4 or m4v first. I suggest you get an elgato.264HD stick for this. It's faster than using Quicktime Pro.
Only problem is though, your XBOX probably won't be able to play the resultant files.

Also remember that both machines need to be on the same local network, both need a password and username and both need sharing to be enabled.

User420
6th July 2010, 07:30 AM
No, all my videos are xvid .avi files. I can't convert them, is there another way? Maybe even a 3rd party software if i had to. The reason i can't convert is that there is over 1000 videos. Not sure if it's the same thing with Windows but can't Macs get codecs to playback xvid movies? I know there are programs out there that convert as it streams so it can be played on other platforms just like TVersity did...

DeKa
6th July 2010, 08:02 AM
Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components (http://perian.org/) will play xvid in Quicktime.

User420
6th July 2010, 09:29 AM
I can download that and install it im sure, but how should i go about setting up the connection? i head Macs dont connect with Windows 7 homegroups, but workgroups. I then went and set that up, setup the homegroup as well, and set up windows media player to allow streaming to anyone on the network with the vids on there. Thanks again for all your guys' help.

~Coxy
6th July 2010, 10:54 AM
Just turn on a public share for Everyone to access the media files.
Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/)

The Mac will then be able to connect to that share and play the movies in QuickTime (with Perian installed) or whichever player you wish.

idiesel
6th July 2010, 08:09 PM
Another reference is - Home networking with Windows 7 (http://www.cnet.com.au/home-networking-with-windows-7_p6-339301383.htm#vp)

nibbles
7th July 2010, 09:21 AM
Also once network sharing is setup you could add an alias to the movies folder on your iMac then when you run frontrow (already installed) you can select the drive and have a list of all content on there