PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Needed For Regional Broadband Inquiry

batb0y
20th September 2005, 09:23 AM
I have been invited to give evidence at the Victorian Gov't Inquiry into Regional Broadband Access next week.

They are looking for real world feedback and idea's into Broadband access in Regional Victoria. How easy is it for businesses to get online etc?

Not necessarily just hooking up to ADSL etc, but what else are issues for getting your business / self online. Are there any issues / ideas that you have?

I am looking for ideas, feedback, stories, constructive criticism etc. I'm not overly interested in rants or raves about how Telstra sucks. We know.

I also want to look past the obvious things - more ADSL, more ADSL 2+, cheaper satellite. These are things that are in progress and I am sure they have heard them all before.

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE - put forward some real ideas and feedback.

rudiger53
20th September 2005, 10:03 AM
I want them to make a bigger roll out of their ADSL plans. I live in a town that doesn't have broadband access, about 5 kilometres to the east, is a town which has ADSL and ADSL2 coverage. Telstra told us that if we get enough interest in the broadband in our town, they would CONSIDER rolling out broadband. Not would, but CONSIDER. Then, after flatout telling us that we cant definatly get ADSL, they tried to scab off to us old cruddy ISDN and way too overpriced Satellite internet. So we left telstra, telling them if they covered our town with broadband, we would come back to them. they ring us up every month, still trying to sell us the IDSN and satellite. Not a peep about ADSL since we originally had the issue with it. My conclusion, I want ADSL, Telstra wont say that we definatly will get it, and i have nothing but trouble in trying to get ADSL coverage in my town

Anyway, thats my 2 cents

Quamen
20th September 2005, 09:47 PM
Telstra won't be ringing you up to flog you satellite anymore. At least not 2way satellite, since they've nearly spent all of their hibis money.

Just out of curiosity... what's the problem you have with satellite connections? ISDN... yea we all know that sucks. But satellite connections aren't too bad.

Also, there's a damn good reason for not putting in ADSL. Dslams cost about $300,000 and the margins on ADSL are low.

AusMac
23rd September 2005, 11:19 PM
I can't get satellite connections unless I get pay TV and that is not going to happen.
I cannot get ISDN, ADSL, broadband is a joke.
I know many businessmen in the bush and they still use faxes.
I know others who use the internet but have found themselves spending the morning deleting SPAM.
Lets just face it there is no way that there is going to be a broadband business in the bush this decade or the next.

Graham
23rd September 2005, 11:40 PM
Telecoms infrastructure underlies the basis of business yet the main drivers of government and Telecom these days is to charge people for it, especially if they live in areas outside the cities. Everyone complains that Sydney and Melbourne are overcrowded but there's no incentive to go outside there because the infrastructure in the regional areas is implemented only on a grudging basis - and only because there's some National senator twat who takes the short term politically expedient view.

If suitable communications (and travel facilities) are available in regional areas then people will move there which will take pressure off the cities. However, that would mean looking at things long-term which is apparently beyond the capabilities of the vast majority of politicians these days.

OK, there's some grumbles in there but a decent point as well. Access to communication facilities are a right rather than a privilege.

morgan
24th September 2005, 12:59 AM
I used to live in a small town of 1000, and Telstra put in broadband once they had 100 expressions of interest. That being said it is in a Liberal Government seat.... coincidence?? I must say however that telecommunications in Canberra through TransACT is much better than in the bush.

koala
24th September 2005, 01:17 AM
country folks don't get the CHOICE or COMPETITION that urbanites get. There is no Optus Cable in places like Ballarat or Bendigo.
Why? well there is no money in placing infrastruture from scratch then waiting for the slow returns to drip thru the door.
Infrastructure is what it all boils down to. Who controls it, & whether or not there will be any decent returns on the money spent on that infrastructure.

batb0y
25th September 2005, 06:06 PM
thanks to those that replied.

i am going before the inquiry tomorrow.

anyone else who has any thoughts - please leave them here before midnight sunday the 25th september.

SyncMan
25th September 2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by batb0y@Sep 25 2005, 06:06 PM
i am going before the inquiry tomorrow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_inquisition ?

samuelclarke
25th September 2005, 06:38 PM
I'd love to see cheaper ISDN.

We live 10km out of Cann River in the east of Victoria and the only options for fast internet are satellite broadband or ISDN, and the problem with both of them is the cost! For a useable satellite broadband connection it costs about $120-$180 per month, and for ISDN it costs about $70-$90 per month. What I'd like to see is something cheaper ($40-$60 per month) that gives a faster speed than dial-up, something that can be used as a stop-gap till ADSL is in place. I'd be happy with anything that was faster than the 31.2k connection speed I get at the moment, and I know a lot of people who would be as well.

I believe that instead of the satellite broadband push, which although it's great, is too much money for just about everybody in the bush. I'd like to see the prices of ISDN reduced so that people can afford it.

emacmark
25th September 2005, 06:44 PM
How about a customer service guarantee for ISDN. At the moment, telstra can just tell you to get stuffed, and not care how long your ISDN service is down and give no refunds. This has happened to me. Telstra say that as I choose ISDN instead of a 28k dial up connection, I have to put up with what ever service they choose to provide.
Normally, my ISDN is great, but a D#ckhe#d telstra techo actually cut my line when carrying out maint on another line and I was without all comms for a week.
rant over
Mark

Quamen
26th September 2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by samuelclarke@Sep 25 2005, 06:38 PM
For a useable satellite broadband connection it costs about $120-$180 per month, and for ISDN it costs about $70-$90 per month.
Where are you getting those prices from? Those are rediculous.

Under hibis (since you can get ISDN, no 2-way for you) you could at least have nice downloads on a 1-way satellite setup. http://www.bordernet.com.au/isat_sub.htm only problem is you'd need a PC to do it as there is no satellite decoder software for macs at the moment.

2-way (vSat) works fine on macs though, for those that are interested. If you can't get ISDN where you are then you can get a 2-way satellite connection under hibis.

samuelclarke
26th September 2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Sep 26 2005, 05:53 PM
Where are you getting those prices from? Those are rediculous.

Under hibis (since you can get ISDN, no 2-way for you) you could at least have nice downloads on a 1-way satellite setup. http://www.bordernet.com.au/isat_sub.htm only problem is you'd need a PC to do it as there is no satellite decoder software for macs at the moment.

2-way (vSat) works fine on macs though, for those that are interested. If you can't get ISDN where you are then you can get a 2-way satellite connection under hibis.
I got those prices from bigpond.com...they are based on what I would need using satellite (2GB + data transfer amount and 256K + speed) also I think that HiBIS is no longer going (I'm not sure on that). And the ISDN prices I again got from Telstra.

Thanks for the link to bordernet.com.au, their prices are so much cheaper than Telstra!

Quamen
26th September 2005, 08:50 PM
samuelclarke Telstra are no longer doing hibis. As part of the hibis scheme Telstra were only ever allowed to use a maximum of 60% of the total funds. Which they have nearly done. The other hibis providers still have plenty of cash to spend.

emacmark
28th September 2005, 08:15 AM
Well batb0y,
How did the conference go?
Did you feel that they genuinely wanted to listen to you?
Were you able to get your views across?
Mark

spilla
28th September 2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by samuelclarke@Sep 25 2005, 06:38 PM
and for ISDN it costs about $70-$90 per month. What I'd like to see is something cheaper ($40-$60 per month) that gives a faster speed than dial-up, something that can be used as a stop-gap till ADSL is in place.
that price includes line rental and data call costs (to bigpond access no.), so it is really not really that much more expensive than some ISP's....it is a hell of a lot cheaper than my previous dial-up ISP where it would cost around $100 every month in excess data fees, and the monthly charge was $70 i think....

emacmark
3rd October 2005, 09:24 AM
Well batboy,
Any feedback?
I thought you might have had time to reply as I have been offline for 5 days whilst telstra repaired my ISDN.
Mark

Kuma
3rd October 2005, 09:46 AM
grrrr this subject makes my blood boil...

regional broadband??????????

how about some true f%^*ing broadband in the cities......

I certainly do recognise the need for regional australia to be wired (or unwired up as the case maybe)....

but if the cities were experiencing true broadband that is available to ppl like in Japan, Korea, the States and some Euro countries...

then I expect regional Australia would benefit and get the pissy just above narrowband sh*t that the cities have. (at a reasonable cost). :angry:

batb0y
6th October 2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by emacmark@Oct 3 2005, 09:24 AM
Well batboy,
Any feedback?
I thought you might have had time to reply as I have been offline for 5 days whilst telstra repaired my ISDN.
Mark
Sorry about the lack of a follow up from me. End of the month / Start of the month is flat out time for me and for some reason this month seems to be doubly so.

I'll end up posting my full reply soon on my blog - probably next week.

But it went pretty good. They seemed very interested in some of the things I had to say.

Don't know if they can do much - they are a Victorian Govt inquiry and its Federal Govt that dictates things like communication policy and so on. But they can excert some influence.

Anyway. Thanks again to everyone who contributed. Will post my notes up soon.