PDA

View Full Version : gen4 ipod on shelves?

yuri76
26th July 2004, 01:58 PM
anybody seen these around? Some stores have noted a 29th arrival date.

OziMac
26th July 2004, 02:02 PM
Hey Yuri,

Last week I was told that they would be in by early this week - apparently they were expected by Friday, but didn't arrive, and then again by today (Monday) but still haven't arrived - I'm having a look around, will let you know if I find anything - one place said that they wouldn't be in for several weeks!

My order status off the online store is still open but expected to ship before tomorrow (27/7). My Mini arrived before they were 'expected' at resellers (though even resellers seem to have had most of their shipments pushed back).

yuri76
26th July 2004, 02:54 PM
yeah i was told 2 weeks by an applecentre's floor staff today...hopefully they were out of the loop and makin stuff up.

baggss
26th July 2004, 03:31 PM
While this may or may not be helpful, they are in the Apple stores here in the US now. I was at the one in San Francisco the other day and they were selling fast...

OziMac
26th July 2004, 03:33 PM
Yeah, heard they were in Apple Stores in the US as early as Tuesday...

Good to see some non-Aussies here too! :) Though it's nice having this forum as a counterpoint to Macrumors with more locally pertinent info...

baggss
26th July 2004, 03:39 PM
Try THIS (http://www.macosx.com/forums/index.php) forum.....

OziMac
26th July 2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks baggs, but I find Macrumors is more 'reliable' (or at least treats speculation as speculation until confirmation) and friendly than macosx.

Eg:

Our sources have confirmed the next generation iPod will have a color screen. The new iPod will not be much different in form and function from the current models, but the primary difference is the color screen. Other details about the iPod are scetchy on our end but the fact it will be color is not up for debate. We are sorry we don't have more information to provide or details concerning the screen itself, but when it does come out or other rumors abound of it, just remember you heard it here first.

:D

yinyang
26th July 2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by baggss@Jul 26 2004, 03:31 PM
While this may or may not be helpful, they are in the Apple stores here in the US now. I was at the one in San Francisco the other day and they were selling fast...
hey baggss!!

fancy bumping into you here :D

you trawling around whilst the lounge is down? good bunch of people here, friendly too!!

zefi
26th July 2004, 05:37 PM
A 29th shipment date sounds plausible, but I'm betting that you won't see them on the shelves until Friday or even until the beginning of August (the next week).

OziMac
27th July 2004, 12:21 PM
Well, it's the 27/7 and my 4g iPod is still 'Open' - I'm guessing if it doesn't ship before midnight, they will revise the shipment date - though they probably knew much earlier that it would be different... strange that they managed to get Minis (at least the ones ordered immediately off the website) out on time but that the 4gs are causing difficulties, even though they were available on US shelves the day they were released... hmmm...

yinyang
27th July 2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jul 27 2004, 12:21 PM
Well, it's the 27/7 and my 4g iPod is still 'Open' - I'm guessing if it doesn't ship before midnight, they will revise the shipment date - though they probably knew much earlier that it would be different... strange that they managed to get Minis (at least the ones ordered immediately off the website) out on time but that the 4gs are causing difficulties, even though they were available on US shelves the day they were released... hmmm...
you may want to give this a quick read, though i doubt it's causing the dealy on your 4g...!

http://www.ipodlounge.com/ipodnews_comment...id=4563_0_7_0_C (http://www.ipodlounge.com/ipodnews_comments.php?id=4563_0_7_0_C)

OziMac
27th July 2004, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I saw that yinyang - interesting...

Though I'm thinking there won't be the kind of shortages with the 4gs that there are with the Minis, so if there is a problem with audio output, it should be fairly easy to remedy or replace quickly enough...

.. just touching wood that nothing goes wrong with the Mini for the next 4 or 5 months! :o

OziMac
4th August 2004, 09:06 PM
Well, in response to the last part of my last post, BOY was I wrong!

Anyway, my 4g 40GB finally arrived today after almost three weeks. Phew!

Very quick first impressions, which only differ slightly from Atomic's excellent review:

- The clickwheel feels much nicer than that of the Mini - harder plastic and more flush with the surface, which makes the ease of use much greater than the sometimes 'slimy' and unresponsive Mini surface.

- My screen doesn't have the blue tint that everyone else seems to have - it looks as white/black as the 3g did.

- Out of box experience is no way near as nice as that of the 3g - the packaging, while still nice, feels much cheaper - almost like opening a box for some non-Apple computer product - grey crappy cardboard, ew!

I am still charging so I might have some further impression later, but I don't know if there would be anything more to add to what Atomic has said. I didn't get any sticky goo this time around on the clickwheel, but the screen was scratched a little which was disappointing, but what can you do.

Here is something you might like though:

OziMac
5th August 2004, 11:03 AM
Actually, out of interest (and back on topic) has anyone yet seen the 4gs on store shelves yet? I haven't seen them yet at resellers, and I know stores like Myer and Dick Smith currently seem to have iPods hidden away and no longer on display...

yuri76
5th August 2004, 12:10 PM
Send steve that pic of all your ipods sitting next to each other. It'd sure chear him up. :D