PDA

View Full Version : Background desktop patterns

dick64
4th July 2010, 05:20 PM
Help !!!

When I booted up my G5 IMac this morning, the desktop was a uniform white. All the other colours were correct (icons, folders etc.)

I tried the normal things (system preferences etc) but the background would not change. I then deleted all video or colour preferences to no avail, tried restarting several times and still the same.

Background is a normal blue pattern while it is booting but goes white once it is ready to use.

I have had Macs from an SE and this is my 5th Mac. I will probably replace at the end of this year but I would like to keep it a bit longer.

I currently run O.S. 10.4.11

Has anyone any ideas what the problem is ?

dev_enter
4th July 2010, 06:37 PM
A few things to check:

Can you open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and see if any errors are reported when you try to change it?

The desktop background image setting is stored in: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist
Try renaming it to something like com.apple.desktop.plist.bak and see if that helps (you may need to log out and log back in in between).

Does it occur under other user accounts?

dick64
6th July 2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for your advice. Sadly it did not help.

One other piece of info, on shutdown, the screen change to the background it should be. Very frustrating !!!!!

How do I reset the PRAM ? That is one thing I have not done yet.

dick64
7th July 2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks to all.

This morning I continued to browse and found a file I did not download. It was called SWF Desktops. It must have come in with something else. I deleted it and emptied the trash and lo and behold, all back to normal.

Thank you all for your help.

dick64
8th July 2010, 01:21 PM
Further to previous, when I booted up my computer at lunchtime, it is back.

I am lucky that I know what the problem is and how to fix it.
I have to find all occurrences of it and delete, delete all of them !!!!!

sirstaunch
8th July 2010, 08:55 PM
Reset the Pram by just at startup holding down the Control - Command - P - R keys all at once until you hear three restarts.

Be sure your HardDrive isn't Firmware protected either and have Apple KeyBoards.

dick64
9th July 2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks for that. I think I will do this just to clean up any residual nasties that may be lurking !!!