PDA

View Full Version : New iMac - when?

route74
4th July 2010, 04:18 PM
I am getting seriously close to a tax check and still no news of a new iMAC. It's gonna kill me over the next few weeks if one hasnt been announced by then!

Arrrrgh! :crazy:

ADAMS77
4th July 2010, 04:35 PM
Ill never understand why people compare death/dying to new products coming out....or why they start a whole new thread just to rant *facepalm*

TheKeddi
4th July 2010, 04:35 PM
We just got the new ones, so maybe just a little bump but nothing new??

torana355
4th July 2010, 04:51 PM
The new I-Macs just came out, its the new Mac Pro's we are really waiting for.....

reemixx
4th July 2010, 04:55 PM
It's iMac. Not iMAC, nor I-Mac.

torana355
4th July 2010, 05:01 PM
It's iMac. Not iMAC, nor I-Mac.

Who bloody cares. Either make a useful contribution to the thread or don't post at all.

DJY
4th July 2010, 05:18 PM
The new iMacs just came out, its the new Mac Pro's we are really waiting for.....

I'm waiting for a new MacBook Air... starting to think it may not happen though.

themessup
4th July 2010, 05:47 PM
Follow these instead. Take a breath people.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/10/87402-possibility-new-imac-soon.html

The official "I'm waiting for an iMac refresh" thread - Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=934626)

jack112006
4th July 2010, 06:18 PM
The iMac's got bumped last in October. It was quite a major refresh. The are due soon and recent rumours state that they could feature ATI 5XXX or NVIDIA 4XX graphics cards. Rumours from other, less trustworthy sources say that Apple will bring out a touch based iMac by the end of August. So no one is certain of when, but expect new iMac's soon.

bartron
4th July 2010, 06:40 PM
Rumours from other, less trustworthy sources say that Apple will bring out a touch based iMac by the end of August

The day Apple release a touch based iMac will be the day they have lost it.

amstrad_mac
4th July 2010, 06:48 PM
I seriously hope they don't release a touch based iMac..

Anyhows - the leak info from 9to5 saying the mac mini firmware has described a ATi 5000 based graphic cards - so potentially this could be the new iMac's graphics or the Mac Pro's.

Just remember the updated iMac prices will most likely go up this time round (same result as the new mini update) - so grab yourself a refurb i5 or i7 while they are cheap - they are still great machines.

iCantwait
4th July 2010, 06:57 PM
NOT A MOMENT TOO SOON

Ecto1
4th July 2010, 09:34 PM
I am getting seriously close to a tax check and still no news of a new iMAC. It's gonna kill me over the next few weeks if one hasnt been announced by then!

Arrrrgh! :crazy:

Nothing wrong with the current ones. I highly doubt an update will bring any new changers. Maybe a speed bump and ATI cards but that's it.

asphotos
4th July 2010, 10:49 PM
tuesday

power(imac)book G5's...

jack112006
4th July 2010, 11:01 PM

My thinking exactly. I would much prefer the Magic Trackpad that leaked as a primary input for an iMac then touch.

4th July 2010, 11:05 PM
Why the hell would anyone wait for a new model just to get an ATI 5XXX serires GPU ? They are not really games machines to begin with.

NathR32
4th July 2010, 11:56 PM
I hear they are updating all the iMac range on Tuesday. Not sure which Tuesday though, but keep your eyes pealed.

SoniQx
5th July 2010, 12:06 AM
Why the hell would anyone wait for a new model just to get an ATI 5XXX serires GPU ? They are not really games machines to begin with.

Exactly my thought, and I highly doubt we will see 6/8 core CPU's in an iMac, they have Mac Pro's for a reason.

~Coxy
5th July 2010, 10:38 AM

Because then they will be better at playing games.

route74
5th July 2010, 05:50 PM
pealed
;):p;):p:);):p:);):p:D:D;):p

idiesel
5th July 2010, 09:59 PM
The day Apple release a touch based iMac will be the day they have lost it.Another that agrees with you.

Touch based computing is great for educational uses and portable devices where keypads make way for screen real estate, but for most computing uses, it would be very uncomfortable to touch type onto a screen that's perpendicular to the desk.

nibbles
9th July 2010, 06:03 PM

Totally agree, As said earlier as well the magic touchpad is a sufficient amount of touch for my iMac. I'm still leaving my bets on saying that the iMac will be updated in the iPod event which is usually around september hopefully earlier because I want a new iPod Touch

Davies
9th July 2010, 07:09 PM
It's gonna be soon. Stock is getting low around the place.

ipwn
9th July 2010, 09:07 PM
Local JB stores are told availability of all iMac models are not available.

auspad
10th July 2010, 01:22 PM
people saying "why wait for a new imac these ones are great" need to think about a few things. eg: what if the new imac had some new cool features we never guessed about? think of the resale value to. also, if you wait for the new ones to come out, think how much cheaper you could score the current generation ones, you could probably see the 27 inch imacs for around $1400.

EDIT: and even if it was a touch screen you would still have a keyboard and mouse, duh.

nibbles
10th July 2010, 04:45 PM
EDIT: and even if it was a touch screen you would still have a keyboard and mouse, duh.

Yes we know that but more sophisticated means more $$$ and it means you have to pay for a feature that is useless to many. Refurb 27" iMacs will be cheaper but what we are getting at is if you want what the current one has and want one now for whatever reason (e.g tax) don't wait also the newer iMacs regardless of the new features will be higher priced due to the US economy.

auspad
10th July 2010, 09:16 PM
Yes we know that but more sophisticated means more $$$ and it means you have to pay for a feature that is useless to many. Refurb 27" iMacs will be cheaper but what we are getting at is if you want what the current one has and want one now for whatever reason (e.g tax) don't wait also the newer iMacs regardless of the new features will be higher priced due to the US economy.

maybe they will make the touch as an option, just like the high res and matte for the MBP.

route74
10th July 2010, 09:24 PM
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a 27" i5 yesterday from JB. Have to wait a week though due to the low stocks around. I cant wait!

themessup
10th July 2010, 10:34 PM
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a 27" i5 yesterday from JB. Have to wait a week though due to the low stocks around. I cant wait!

Congrats man. No matter what that's an awesome machine, sure you'll love it!

StevenSiew
10th July 2010, 10:44 PM

OpenCL

OpenCL (Open Computing Language) addresses the power of graphics processing units (GPUs) to leverage them in any application, and not just for graphics-intensive applications like 3D games. OpenCL automatically optimizes for the kind of graphics processor in the Mac, adjusting itself to the available processing power. OpenCL provides consistent numeric precision and accuracy, fixing a problem that has hampered GPU-based programming in the past.

OpenCL is a C-based programming language with a structure that is already familiar to Mac OS X programmers, who can use Xcode developer tools to adapt their programs to work with OpenCL. Only the most process intensive parts of the application need to be written in OpenCL C without affecting the rest of the code. OpenCL is an open standard that has been supported by AMD, Intel, and Nvidia; it is maintained by Khronos Group.

It serves a similar purpose to Nvidia's C for CUDA and Microsoft's Direct3D 11 compute shaders.

It only works with the following Mac GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce 320M, GT 330M, 9400M, 9600M GT, 8600M GT, GT 120, GT 130, GTX 285, 8800 GT, 8800 GS, Quadro FX 4800, FX 5600 and ATI Radeon HD 4670, HD 4850, HD 4870.

idiesel
11th July 2010, 09:31 AM
people saying "why wait for a new imac these ones are great" need to think about a few things...But you could be waiting forever because as soon as a new model is released, a newer version will be imminent with even cooler features etc etc
It's a vicious cycle, but you must commit at some point.

Vipster
11th July 2010, 10:23 AM
I'm playing the waiting game at the moment. I think the current gene iMac is great, but the gpu in their is 2 years old. I do not play many games, but the gpu is becoming more relevant like opencl that was mentioned before.

auspad
11th July 2010, 01:06 PM
But you could be waiting forever because as soon as a new model is released, a newer version will be imminent with even cooler features etc etc
It's a vicious cycle, but you must commit at some point.

true;) it is a vicious cycle, but i'm waiting, i think there are too many possibilities in this upgrade. I don't think it will be a simple spec bump this time.

jeez, for all i know they could release a 30' imac with an inbuilt tv tuner, touch screen, touch keyboard, and a magic trackpad.

11th July 2010, 09:12 PM
Because then they will be better at playing games.

They are good enough to play games on NOW.

When they have esata, USB3 or light peak outputs, a bluray drive and maybe a 32" LED screen that's an upgrade moment until then I reckon my i5 will do me for many years.

~Coxy
12th July 2010, 10:56 AM
They are most definitely not good enough to play games on at the moment. Not unless you like stretching out an inferior low resolution across that gorgeous huge screen!

iMac Core i5 and Core i7 - 3D Graphics (http://barefeats.com/imi7g.html)
30 FPS in ET
20 FPS in COD4
43 FPS idling in vanilla WOW

macbj
13th July 2010, 01:33 AM
They are most definitely not good enough to play games on at the moment. Not unless you like stretching out an inferior low resolution across that gorgeous huge screen!

iMac Core i5 and Core i7 - 3D Graphics (http://barefeats.com/imi7g.html)
30 FPS in ET
20 FPS in COD4
43 FPS idling in vanilla WOW

How do the 27" machines compare to the top spec 21.5"?

~Coxy
13th July 2010, 10:54 AM
The 4850 graphics card option in the 27" is quite a bit better than the 4670 in the top 21". I haven't seen any (OS X) benchmarks for the latter though.

themessup
13th July 2010, 11:12 AM
I've been following this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=934626) and looks like heaps of stores have low iMac stock. Pretty sure we'll see something tonight :)

SoniQx
13th July 2010, 03:44 PM
I just got my 27" i5 iMac today, one word = Amazing, don't regret a thing.
Now waiting for my iPad :(

themessup
13th July 2010, 06:53 PM
I just got my 27" i5 iMac today, one word = Amazing, don't regret a thing.
Now waiting for my iPad :(

Awesome man, enjoy it! :) Great machine.

thenewblack
14th July 2010, 01:10 AM
Who bloody cares. Either make a useful contribution to the thread or don't post at all.

Hypocrite much?

themessup
14th July 2010, 09:41 PM
Damn. Another week.

nibbles
15th July 2010, 06:49 PM
Damn. Another week.

I'd say times that by about 5 and you might be lucky

themessup
16th July 2010, 09:12 PM
Yep, hence:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/10/88757-little-help-buying-imac.html

jack112006
16th July 2010, 09:24 PM
New rumours today point to a refresh at Apple's regular September event. They claim that the iMac would get USB 3 and either Firewire 1600 or Firewire 3200. I have to put two and two together here and speculate that we will also get a major refresh of all the iApps at the same time, as they are long overdue for a refresh and Stevie J has been taunting us with new Keynote effects for months.

themessup
16th July 2010, 10:54 PM
I don't see this happening. September is the annual iPod event. An iMac launch will take the gloss of new iPods or more likely the other way around.

nibbles
17th July 2010, 08:24 AM
That's what they have done in the past

yagankiely
22nd July 2010, 10:27 PM
Wasn't the 27" launched at the iPod event?

Mullo
23rd July 2010, 01:18 PM
From Macrumors ::

AppleInsider reports that Apple has begun advising third-party retail partners of impending shortages of the company's iMac models, suggesting that a refresh of the company's popular all-in-one desktop line may be in store for the near future.
In particular, a person familiar with the matter says the Mac maker is informing some of its distributors not to expect any further stock of the entry level 21.5-inch, 3.06GHz iMac, implying that production of that model has ceased.

Meanwhile, those with ties to the company's stateside reseller channels are being advised to sell through their stock of all existing iMac models and to keep their inventories as lean as possible for the next few weeks.

Just last week, Hardmac reported that the Mac Pro would see an "end of summer" update, with iMac updates not following until several weeks after that. The site also claimed that the iMac may gain USB 3.0 and faster FireWire connectivity as part of the refresh.

The iMac was last updated in October, when it saw a major redesign to shift to 21.5-inch and 27-inch LED displays.

iPhoenix
23rd July 2010, 04:11 PM
You guys have got to be clear about which 27"iMac your talking about
the
27-inch: 3.06GHz
or the
27-inch: 2.66GHz/2.8ghz i5/i7
How old is the i5/i7 model?
it all depends on how long ago they released the i7/i5 into the iMac..
I was under the impression that this was a recent update to the imac

~Coxy
23rd July 2010, 04:18 PM
The i5/i7 options came out at the exact same time as the pov pack Core 2 Duo model, which is to say that the 27" iMac is pretty long in the tooth nowadays.

dalemajid
24th July 2010, 10:29 PM
im so strung out whether i should wait for the new iMac's or not,

my tax should be here next week! hopefully i hear something concrete in the next few days or im likely to break and burst into the apple store and grab a 27" i5

Seakip
24th July 2010, 10:32 PM
They updated the iMacs last October in which they introduced the current sizes.

dalemajid
24th July 2010, 10:36 PM
as we have seen of late the current news is they arent making the old 21.5" low end c2d iMac's anymore.

what i predict is going to happen in the next few weeks is Jobs is going to announce the new iMac refresh (on its own accord, not in sept with the new ipod's) and at the same time he will announce this:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/magictrack1.jpg

does it sound like a stupid idea? i think not

idiesel
25th July 2010, 09:16 AM
That seems to be the strong rumours circling the net. New iMacs with new touch input device. If it were me, I'd wait!

dalemajid
25th July 2010, 11:59 AM
foook, so my tax return arrived in my account today.

contemplating running into the apple store and grabbing me a 27" iMac

robomac
25th July 2010, 01:01 PM
I say, if you want/need it, go get one now. I took the plunge a few days ago after wanting a 27" i5 since they came out. Cannot fault the machine at all hey. If you're one of those people that are truly going to punish themselves and get upset if a refresh comes soon and you 'miss out', then wait.

Otherwise, just get one, I highly doubt, and yes I realize none of us can do anything but speculate, the refresh is going to bring anything game-changing to the table. Especially to the higher end 27"'s. The biggest thing will be a jump to the ATI 5xxx series GPU's, but hey they will still be mobility, and not THAT much of an improvement over the 4850 I reckon. Plus the US economy is stronger against us now than it was when the current pricing was introduced, I'd bet a small price hike may be involved too.

dalemajid
25th July 2010, 08:27 PM
i cracked and i bought it this arvo

i am now typing this message on it.

ill put some pics up in a few hours after i get everything installed and setup.

so far it is f**king magnificent

idiesel
25th July 2010, 10:44 PM
It's a great big screen isn't it! :cool:

asphotos
25th July 2010, 11:54 PM
tuesday...

it will be based on a powerbook g5..

dalemajid
26th July 2010, 04:42 PM
tuesday...

it will be based on a powerbook g5..

what r u on about?

r u trying to say the refresh is coming tomoz?

nibbles
26th July 2010, 05:31 PM
I'll interpret that as we have as much chance of it coming out tomorrow as we do it being based on a powerbook G5, as a new member of the forum dalemajid I suggest you take a look into the powerbook G5. I very much doubt it will be tomorrow or tonight but then again I have been proven wrong before on the iPhone 4.

dalemajid
26th July 2010, 06:41 PM
so the powerbook g5 was long rumored, never produced

tom09
26th July 2010, 10:41 PM
I get a feeling that apple are gonna have an event, where they will unveil new/updated iMacs, Mac Pro's and iLife & iWork 2010...
Whether or not Apple decide to do it with the annual ipod event or not i hope they do it sometime around September!

jack112006
27th July 2010, 07:07 AM
Gruber Had a post up last night hinting at Apple releasing new iMacs, Mac Pro's, 27" Cinema Display and maybe the Magic Trackpad tonight. He is basically always perfect with his predictions, so tonight should be interesting.

tom09
27th July 2010, 06:59 PM
Gruber Had a post up last night hinting at Apple releasing new iMacs, Mac Pro's, 27" Cinema Display and maybe the Magic Trackpad tonight. He is basically always perfect with his predictions, so tonight should be interesting.

If you are right....i would buy u a brand new imac

jks but still i'd love you, but if they dont thanks for getting my hopes up :(

haha

billabongsimon
27th July 2010, 08:08 PM
They're coming tonight.

"New iMacs definitely coming tonight. Here's the best: MC511 LL/A 27in 2.8QC/2x2G/1TB/5750/SD-USA."

Mr X handed the info to Australian Macworld (AusMacworld) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/AusMacworld)
He should post on here soon! :mad:

Edit: Stores down!

oh_lol
27th July 2010, 08:38 PM
So the new iMac is coming now? :D

thewombat
27th July 2010, 09:07 PM
guys... just posted this in the other thread
this would obviously confirm the new model is coming and a big price drop on the current

--------------------------------------------------------------------
hi guys
have been looking over the Apple Store quite a bit the last week as in the market to get a mac

can anyone confirm this?
I am sure the entry level price on Imacs was 1499 just last week
it now says starting at 1199

21.5" starting at $1199.

am I right?

tom09
27th July 2010, 09:15 PM
the apple store is down :)
OMGGGGG HAHA

idiesel
27th July 2010, 10:43 PM
can anyone confirm this?
I am sure the entry level price on Imacs was 1499 just last week
it now says starting at 1199

Sure you're not looking at the US Apple store (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MTAyNTQzNjA)?

EDIT: The AU store is back up - iMAc i3, i5, and i7 now. They all appear to have better GF cards. Same RRPs as previous gen. No real changes in anything else except for the addition of the trackpad.

oh_lol
27th July 2010, 10:51 PM
Shouldn't we expect to see a price drop in their refurbs then? Because they seem the same?

SoniQx
27th July 2010, 10:53 PM
Hmm looks like the site is back up, that wasn't really worth of waiting for IMHO.

EDIT: Referring to iMac refresh

idiesel
27th July 2010, 11:00 PM
Shouldn't we expect to see a price drop in their refurbs then? Because they seem the same?

Maybe once the new models start to appear on the refurb store, then the older models will may be cheaper????

MattJelonek
27th July 2010, 11:04 PM
new iMacs, battery charger and track pad.

route74
27th July 2010, 11:52 PM
Well. I am not at all disapointed I purchased when I did now. There is NOTHING in the iMac itself that makes me want this new one thankfully. I am interested in the trackpad though!

nibbles
28th July 2010, 04:19 PM
Well I was wrong but hey, no it wasn't really much of an update and I won't be upgrading to a new model. I really think apple have sort of forgotten about the Mac line and push out an update to keep us happy. But then again "You can't improve on perfection and anyway I have done something..." Jeremy Clarkson

oh_lol
28th July 2010, 09:59 PM
How much would the new one have over the one being replaced now?

I can only see it would be for gaming?