PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp and new Mac Mini

ChrisG
3rd July 2010, 07:28 PM
Hi all,

Today I am the proud owner of my new Mac Mini (the one that just got released).

I just have a few questions to get me up and running.

I want to primarily use this machine as a media center, mainly running Plex for my backed up movies and tv shows, and also to use Windows Media Center to watch and record live tv.

After I've installed Windows 7 via the Boot Camp Assistant when I boot in to the OS everything is in a strange format (screen is squashed with black bars around the desktop) and has no Aero enabled.

When I insert the Install Disc that came with my Mac Mini to install the Boot Camp Drivers I just get a pop up window with two options to either remotely install or install dvd or cd sharing. How do I go about getting the drivers installed?

My other issue is I have an Logitech DiNovo Mini keyboard that I used with my previous HTPC that worked perfectly fine with my Windows HTPC, but when I use it under the Mac OS it is very finiky, especially under applications such as Plex.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
ChrisG.

mitty
3rd July 2010, 08:06 PM
Browse directly to the OSX CD in Windows Explorer, you should be able to find a setup.exe or something that installs all the drivers for you. I remember that same thing happen to me when I did bootcamp on both my macs.

banjo
4th July 2010, 11:44 AM
Try the Logitech website for Mac drivers for the keyboard. Also check your keyboard settings in System Prefs.

Not on topic, but: have you tried using XBMC as the front end for your HTPC? It's had a Mac variety for a while now. I was using Plex (which is a fork of XBMC) on my Mac but just found the skinning to be dreadful and I could not get it to update the library at all without having rescan entire folders.

No such issues with XBMC. It's worth a look if you're having similar issues.

idiesel
4th July 2010, 07:07 PM
When I insert the Install Disc that came with my Mac Mini to install the Boot Camp Drivers I just get a pop up window with two options to either remotely install or install dvd or cd sharing. How do I go about getting the drivers installed?
Hi Chris

You should get 3 options, with the third being the install drivers option. As mentioned, you should be able to explore the DVD to get the drivers you need.

ChrisG
4th July 2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys for your help. Managed to get the Boot Camp side of things working fine. Now all I need to make everything perfect is to make the DiNovo 100% compatible (play/pause) shortcuts working with Plex and the Mac OS. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.