PDA

View Full Version : Macbook battery says Replace Now

davemc
3rd July 2010, 10:43 AM
Hey guys,
Some help would be great.
I went away for 2 weeks and think I left the Macbook in sleep mode. (Its a white 2006 C2D.)
Came home started up on magsafe as I knew battery was uncharged.
Will not charge battery. Says Not Charging.. Replace Now.
I was getting over 3 hours battery life from it before I went on holidays.
So why would it be dead :sick:

Any help apart from buying new battery :)
thanks in advance.

LeeCardan
3rd July 2010, 10:54 AM
Hey mate - had the same thing happen to me a year or so ago, forgot I left the laptop on in sleep mode and completely depleted the battery.

I was told at that point that the battery no longer could retain a charge and there was no fix - short of buying a new battery.

Was also a 2006 white MB. Ended up buying a second hand battery from a forum member.

Sorry to hear about that! Sucks.

davemc
3rd July 2010, 11:31 AM
thanks.. hope someone has a fix.. it sucks that sleep mode over a few weeks kills a battery.

g4cube
3rd July 2010, 04:43 PM
My battery died on my 06 MBP i thought i could fix it by cycling it but it didn't really help. I bought a new one from ebay non genuine and it seems good and was half price. Any way mate when i took the battery out it had a massive bulge in so i knew it was really dead does yours have a bulge?

davemc
3rd July 2010, 08:19 PM
no bulge.. Looking through apple forums seems a known fault. Some people have had luck with genius bar replacing old ones for free.
Will check around for OEM batteries just heard good and bad things about them.

Weird just checked my powerbook G4 which I am pretty sure I left in sleep state as well. battery charging from 0% fine.

JimWOz
4th July 2010, 11:16 AM
Try resetting the power manager.
Disconnect from the charger, remove battery and hold down the power key for 5 seconds, then try starting again.

Also try resetting the pram, start up with command, option, P & R held down.

davemc
4th July 2010, 01:02 PM
Try resetting the power manager.
Disconnect from the charger, remove battery and hold down the power key for 5 seconds, then try starting again.

Also try resetting the pram, start up with command, option, P & R held down.

Thanks tried that.. no good.. Looking around the net it seems a known problem.
And depending on who you get at the Genius bar you get a replacement or not.
There is a line in the manual saying remove battery if your away for long periods of time. 2 Weeks not that long.
Also fired up my sons old ibook which he always never turns off. Its fine.
So gather its a Macbook problem