PDA

View Full Version : Should I Downgrade To Panther?

Tejas
19th September 2005, 05:31 PM
G'day guys
i have a 1.25 GHz emac, 256 megs of ram. i am getting alot of spinning beach balls and i know i need more ram for it to run smoother, but as a stop gap would downgrading to panther improve things?
whilst i love spotlight and the dashboard i am repared to sacrifice for faster speeds.
thanks

Edge
19th September 2005, 05:56 PM
I'd certainly consider switching off the dashboard. First though, I'd add a stick of 256 or 512 MB of extra RAM at a minimum.

jobe
19th September 2005, 06:03 PM
Panther loves the RAM also so I doubt you would see a big different. Anyway, wouldn't it be like 100 times easier to simply go out, buy a stick of ram and install it rather than completely format and install pather along with all your apps/games/etc and customizing everything just the way you want and restoring your files... suddenly realising you forgot to backup something really important and then kicking yourself for the rest of the night...?

applecollector
19th September 2005, 06:31 PM
Hello,

I have had tiger on my emac identical to yours and let me tell you it was a total NIGHTMARE! I mean it's was SH*T, my mac kept crashing, beachballs, etc.. the lot
until 2 days ago when my emac wouldn't turn on!
I knew it was because of Tiger so off i went and installed Panther and upgraded it to 10.3.9 and it's great in-fact it's better than Tiger in many ways because Tiger needs more Ram than 256 so trust me go back to Panther it will be worth your time and effort.

Sorry if i sounded rude, i just have very strong views against Tiger at the moment!

PS: Just do an Archive Install if you don't want to backup!

Tejas
19th September 2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by applecollector@Sep 19 2005, 06:31 PM
Hello,

I have had tiger on my emac identical to yours and let me tell you it was a total NIGHTMARE! I mean it's was SH*T, my mac kept crashing, beachballs, etc.. the lot
until 2 days ago when my emac wouldn't turn on!
I knew it was because of Tiger so off i went and installed Panther and upgraded it to 10.3.9 and it's great in-fact it's better than Tiger in many ways because Tiger needs more Ram than 256 so trust me go back to Panther it will be worth your time and effort.

Sorry if i sounded rude, i just have very strong views against Tiger at the moment!

PS: Just do an Archive Install if you don't want to backup!
thanks for that - i'll do an active upgrade now.

applecollector
19th September 2005, 06:49 PM
No Problem!
Happy to Help!
Oh yes I'm writing this from the same eMac that was stuffing up, But it works just fine i can't complain.
I used to also have program crashes, Do you have that as well?

emacmark
19th September 2005, 06:49 PM
With 768mb of ram my emac purrs along. I dont have any problems at all system wise and it handles multiple apps, wacom tablet, photoshop, safari, dashboard and a few others all at once easy.
I do use cocktail every week but apart from that, I do nothing out of the ordinary.
Mark

tommelbourne
19th September 2005, 07:05 PM
Man, you guys are crazy! I have an iMac G4 800mhz with 256mb of RAM running 10.4.2 and it runs perfectly fine! Yeah, you have to learn to put up with having no more than three programs open at the one time, but other than that it is great!

Rayd
19th September 2005, 07:13 PM
defanitly a ram issue, i would never go back to panther! tiger is just so awsome! :D :D runs so smooth on my Dual 800@867 and core graphics is beutiful with my 9800 PRO :D

applecollector
19th September 2005, 07:22 PM
But i might go back to Tiger one i get more Ram in my eMac!

yitzyf
19th September 2005, 07:26 PM
I win :)

I've got it Tiger running on a G3 400 with 768 MB - it actually runs pretty decently apart from the occasional beach ball. And it takes a little while to load certain things, but I can't complain!

Squozen
19th September 2005, 08:30 PM
Sometimes you really speak rubbish, Applecollector. :(

Software isn't going to stop your computer from 'turning on'. That'll be a hardware or OpenFirmware issue.

conditionals
19th September 2005, 09:24 PM
I "downgraded" my powerbook 1.5 to panther after 3 horrible weeks with tiger and it feels so happy now. Oh man how I love panther.

Anyway, may i recommend konfabulator (http://www.konfabulator.com) for all your dashboard-that-you-can-turn-off-and-use-in-panther needs.

mac_man_luke
19th September 2005, 09:29 PM
Under tiger i did notice a few more beach balls on my DP 1.25GHz G4/768mb ram at the time, since i have upgraded to 1.75GB and i haven't seen one since!

eyeLikeCarrots
19th September 2005, 09:30 PM
I insist in Tiger for my work machines but i was recently forced to upgrade my SOE from 10.3.6 to 10.4.2 for deployments.

I've not yet been able to put my finger on why yet but there seems to be some inconsistency in operation of apps and booting.

I'll be keeping a close one on these machines, and its not a ram issue.. a few of these new machines have 2+ gig of system ram... this has got to be software.

applecollector
19th September 2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Sep 19 2005, 08:30 PM
Sometimes you really speak rubbish, Applecollector. :(

Software isn't going to stop your computer from 'turning on'. That'll be a hardware or OpenFirmware issue.
I'm not going to get in to a fight with you!
But i'll tell you exactly what happened to clear things up, (actually it was my fault for not clearly explaining myself!)
Yes it turned it on and it went to the load screen, (this is before the welcome to Mac OS X thing comes up!)
and the it stopped, and YES the downgrade fix the problems i was experiencing, that included the crashing, the extended beachballs.

Oh yes one more thing: I believe your comment is wrong and inappropriate.
This sort of comment is not the forms. If you want to mention something like this then next time PM me!!!!!!!!!
Next time watch what your writing PLEASE!
Thank-You!

PS: Hope you got your problems fixed!

Squozen
19th September 2005, 10:43 PM
applecollector: :)

For those worried about Dashboard, just don't load any widgets. With no widgets running Dashboard uses virtually no memory, and that which it does use will be paged out to disk as soon as your physical memory is used up.

I installed Tiger on a 700Mhz eMac with only 256Mb of RAM, and it worked fine. Slowly, and with obvious paging, but there were no crashes or ridiculously long periods of waiting if you treated the machine properly and quit programs once you were done with them. Most of the PC users in the office never grasped the difference between how Mac OS and Windows treat application windows, and would 'quit' an application by closing the window, then complain that the eMac was slow. Well, yeah, there are 7 applications open on a 256Mb systemů :P

applecollector
20th September 2005, 07:43 AM
Ok it's settled,
I'll take mine in to repairs! :-)

kit
20th September 2005, 08:19 PM
Tiger (and Panther before it) actually runs better than earlier versions of OS X on comparable hardware.

I use a G3 400MHz iMac with 256MB of RAM, and it's not just OK, it's snappy. I have many widgets open always and I use Spotlight on occasion. It's constantly serving to the web, too.

However, it's not quite fast enough for a primary machine, it's fine for one or two programs at a time sort of stuff.

I'd be upgrading RAM before I'd be downgrading an OS. Mainly because you're going to find more and more that applications won't work in Panther.

Be aware, though, that I haven't yet upgraded to Tiger on my primary machine, because Panther is just too stable for me to want to (oh, and I can't afford it :P).

Edge
20th September 2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by kit@Sep 20 2005, 08:19 PM
Tiger (and Panther before it) actually runs better than earlier versions of OS X on comparable hardware.

... snip ...

I'd be upgrading RAM before I'd be downgrading an OS.
This is sensible advice. I would also agree with not loading any widgets as an alternative to 'switching off' the dashboard (via various hacks.)