PDA

View Full Version : data recovery

EugeneG
26th July 2004, 01:12 PM
Hello,

I was being extremely stupid anf formatted my HDD to reinstall OSX.
Fortunately, I keep backups for almost everything I need, however there was a huge bulk of mail which I really need and I haven't got it saved anywehre.

Is there any way I can recover ~/Library/Mail after reinstalling the OS? I did clean format&instal instead of archieving the original system (yes, very stupid). Perhaps some data recovery tools..?

Thanks in advance for any help.

stickman67
26th July 2004, 02:50 PM
I don't know if you have the proverbial snowball's chance, but you could try Data Rescue X (available from MacUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10259)).

I think it'll let you recover one file per launch in demo mode, so it might be of some help if it's able to actually find the file.

But I don't know ... :unsure:

Good luck! B)

Quamen
26th July 2004, 05:47 PM
If you formatted, then I don't think you'll have much luck. You never know though. it might find something.

dirtymouse
27th July 2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by EugeneG@Jul 26 2004, 01:12 PM

Is there any way I can recover ~/Library/Mail after reinstalling the OS? I did clean format&instal instead of archieving the original system (yes, very stupid). Perhaps some data recovery tools..?

Depends on how you formatted the drive. If you select 'Zero all data', you have no chance (that i'm aware of) If you have just done a simple erase, but installed an operating system over the top (anywhere between 20,000 and 200,000 files), i don't think you will have much luck in data recovery.

This is something you just have to go thru (and learn from)

You could try data rescue (as mentioned here) from ProsoftEngineering.

If the mail data will cost you your life and you don't care about the drive,
send it to Xyber is St Leornards, Sydney.

They can do data extraction, file by file.

No guarantees though on any solution this late in the game.

EugeneG
27th July 2004, 08:50 PM
I see - my chances vary between 0 and 0.00001 on a good day.

Well, thanks for advices everyone. I do keep regular backups so it could be far far worse, but still something I would rather hadn't happened to me.

kim jong il
31st July 2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by dirtymouse+Jul 27 2004, 06:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dirtymouse @ Jul 27 2004, 06:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EugeneG@Jul 26 2004, 01:12 PM

.......................If the mail data will cost you your life and you don&#39;t care about the drive,
send it to Xyber is St Leornards, Sydney.

They can do data extraction, file by file.

No guarantees though on any solution this late in the game. [/b][/quote]
I have a friend who was recently ranting about supporting people (a particular individual) who will not make backups. Just recently he was telling me of an invoice for &#036;12,000 for recovering a 60?GB drive. In these days of tight budgets it gives him spasms.

This may well be one of those bad luck situations unless you have a PILE of money.

sorry