PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for new Mac purchase.

Bripod90
30th June 2010, 08:44 PM
Alright so I'm in love with apple and it's products. I have a nano, classic, and iPad and I figure the next step is having one of the illustrious machines. I'm a music downloaded and I don't use much of movie programs like video editors or photo editors. I'm just into music on iTunes.
Alright so the issue is which one to buy. I'm not fussed on power or space. I have an external drive for that. The size of the computer is a issue and portability ( how easily I can take it from one place to another even if it's a desktop model.)
I've rounded it down to a MacBook pro, MacBook air and the iMac.
I like the iMac for the size of the screen, the MacBook pro for it's HDD and screen and the MacBook air for it's size and it's sleek look. I'm leaning towards the MacBook air Because of it's size Nd solid state drive. But like most Internet users I need the opinions of my fellow men and women. Opinions thank you.

natnmack
30th June 2010, 11:00 PM
Im no 'computer wiz' but I have a macbook pro and think it's the best thing I have ever purchased. I think whichever mac you go for you'll love it...I don't thing you can really go wrong with mac!!!

JaimeSharp
30th June 2010, 11:28 PM
To be honest i wouldn't go for the air i would go for the macbook pro as they were updated the most recently though expect new imacs by years end the imac is less portable but can be transported okay if it is a 21.5 but the macbook is more usable for this though i have an imac at home and a macbook i have taken my imac on the road though it was harder to use the air is underpowered and overpriced so i would suggest macbook pro and most likely the refurb models as they are very cheap at the moment though you will not really be complaing and for your uses all machines are fine though agin you could install a SSD into the macbook pro as well fairly cheaply if you needed.

thats awesome
1st July 2010, 12:50 AM
I would stay away from the MBA unless you're getting a refurb as they are long overdue for an update in specs.

For MBP vs iMac it comes down to the individual. You either want more performance with limited maneuverability (iMac) or large maneuverability with lesser performance.

For me, I need a computer that can be transported with ease.

Bripod90
1st July 2010, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the input. I have figured the MacBook pro would be the bet choice. iMac's are do for an update as are the Macbook Air. This forum is incredibly useful. And looks good on the iPad.

idiesel
3rd July 2010, 10:31 AM
I find the MacBook Air is too limited in it's connectivity options, and for portability the iMac is ruled out. I mean the iMac is more portable than say a windows desktop with separate tower and screen etc, but I think the MacBook Pro off the refurb store is a very good buy.

Geoff3DMN
3rd July 2010, 11:28 AM
We have a MacBook air and a MacBook Pro at home. Mostly I use the Pro and my SO uses the Air but I've got plenty of experience using both.

The Air feels sluggish and unresponsive when doing photo editing, video editing and handling large files whereas the Pro feels generally faster.

However the air is a wonderful couch surfing machine, the Pro is uncomfortably heavy and clumsy sitting on a lap/stomach slouched on the couch. The air is light enough you don't know it's sitting there.

We also have an iMac in the study and it's got the best screen and the most desktop area and the best connectivity but it's not moveable.

If I had to have only 1 machine I'd choose a 15" MacBook Pro, If I could have a desktop and a laptop I'd get an iMac and a 13" MacBook Pro.

If I was a light user mainly using the computer for browsing the web sitting in bed or on the couch I'd get the Air.

It really depends upon how and where you're going to use the computer.