PDA

View Full Version : HDD Upgrade for Powerbook

sheernoise
26th January 2004, 07:54 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade the HDD in my TiBook and wondering if anyone has any stories about successes/failures doing so. I need to do a bit of location audio recording on the mac so I'm trying to get hold of the 60GB Hitachi 7200RPM drive. Anyone know anything about these drives?

Noise

Comet
26th January 2004, 09:37 PM
I personally think you might have better luck getting hold of an external HD that can run off firewire for power, but I'll try and see if I can find anything on the TiBooks

Byrd
26th January 2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by sheernoise@Jan 26 2004, 07:54 PM
So I'm trying to get hold of the 60GB Hitachi 7200RPM drive. Anyone know anything about these drives?
You shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever installing a low profile 2.5" IDE hard disk into your TiBook. Obviously transferring your data over to the new disk will be a bit tricky, although if you have a desktop Mac a 2.5" ---> 3.5" notebook hard disk adaptor would allow you to format, mount and copy files from there. This would be the cheapest option, otherwise an external Firewire case would also do the trick.

The Hitachi 7200 drive is quite cool running, AFAIK - you shouldn't have problems with it overheating in your PB.

JB

decryption
26th January 2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by bYrd@Jan 26 2004, 11:21 PM
The Hitachi 7200 drive is quite cool running, AFAIK - you shouldn't have problems with it overheating in your PB.
I agree with that, a 7200rpm drive would go well in a PowerBook. Spindle speed makes a big difference.
All you have to do is put the new drive in where the old one was, boot up off the OS X installer disc, and install OS X!

Of course, back up your data onto DVD/External Firewire Drive/Internet/iPod/Another machine on your network :D

Disko
26th January 2004, 10:50 PM
Also note, that if you put a faster rpm drive in your powerbook than you've already got, it is likley to reduce battery life.

Comet
26th January 2004, 10:52 PM
A quick google search got me to this link

http://homepage.mac.com/sysop/PhotoAlbum13.html

Following that should make it pretty easy for you to replace your HD

sheernoise
27th January 2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I actually have a number of external HDD's and cases - in this game they're essential for moving data between studios, locations etc.... The issue is that I've had compatability problems with the external sound card driver when daisy-chained on an external HDD. Thus the need to free up the firewire port for the soundcard. I actually got hold of a Swann PCMCIA firewire card to try and fix the problem, but couldn't get it to work. Any ideas there?

I'm going to order the 7200 drive and see what happens. I'll keep you all posted.

Noise.

sheernoise
1st February 2004, 09:27 AM
Hey all,

I've done the upgrade. A relatively simple matter once I got underway with it. The new drive is noticable quicker (it actually screams, but I'm attributing some of that to the fresh Panther install) and a heck of a lot quieter. It also seems to me that the powerbook is running a lot cooler.

I also had the mind to grab a little USB2 2.5" case for the old drive, which made re-installing software and transferring files an absolute breeze.

So yeah - I'm happy. I ran around 50 channels of 16-bit 44.1K audio last night and the drive handled the data transfer without any hassles! All good.

Thanks for the input.

decryption
1st February 2004, 10:17 AM
Which brand/model hard drive did you get sheernoise?

sheernoise
2nd February 2004, 06:36 AM
Hitachi 2.5" 7200rpm 60GB

Generic 2.5" USB2 case for old drive.

sheernoise
3rd February 2004, 03:30 PM
I thought any powerbook or iBook users might like a read of the xlr8 stats for the drive I've upgraded to and talked about in this thread. The test don't really mention heat inside the powerbook because they used an external case for tests, but I can definately say that I believe this dreive runs even cooler than my old 4200rpm drive. I don't know why that would be the case, but I very rarely feel any heat whatsoever coming through the top of the powerbook, as I used to with the old drive. My powerbook is on all day, and night usually.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/hitachi_tra...GB_7200rpm.html (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/hitachi_travelstar60GB_7200/travelstar60GB_7200rpm.html)

Noise.