PDA

View Full Version : My iphone4 is awesome!

macbookpro17
30th June 2010, 06:41 PM
my phones arrived in sydney this morning! I rushed home from work like an excited little kid and tore one of the boxes open straight away, it looks amazing, cant believe how thin it is compared to 3GS, screen is amazing!

supermariobothers
30th June 2010, 07:23 PM
Which network are you with? Can you test out the reception problem thingie?

bennyling
30th June 2010, 07:59 PM
You say boxes, as in plural.

So, what are you doing with the other iPhone 4(s)? ;)

ellsab
30th June 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi just wondering how you bought and got delivered to Aussie?

homerjay
30th June 2010, 08:33 PM
how did you get a micro sim ? did you cut your normal sim down? so a iPhone4 straight out of USA is not locked ?

mitty
30th June 2010, 08:36 PM
He got his phone from the UK, where they are available unlocked just like here. USA phones are not unlocked. Anyone who buys one from the US is asking for trouble.

homerjay
30th June 2010, 08:41 PM
without sounding like a smart ass how do you know where he bought it from?

mitty
30th June 2010, 08:42 PM
I'm a mod, it's my job to know these things ;)

macbookpro17
30th June 2010, 08:43 PM
hi guys, yes i got the phones from the UK, my family live there.

re: the sim, i cut my optus sim using a scalpel, scissors, nail file and a template i downloaded from the internet

MrJesseRoss
30th June 2010, 08:43 PM
Macbookpro17 has posted about buying an iPhone from the UK before, it's a simple mystery solved!

homerjay
30th June 2010, 09:00 PM
yes and if i read every post i may have spotted it and yes i could have searched about it but why when everybody answered me perfectly :)

Leopard
1st July 2010, 10:21 AM
I thought everybody knew unlocked phones uk,most other countries locked!
(Hits head against wall),,,

Bradster
3rd July 2010, 10:30 AM
#+=

eaglesteve2
3rd July 2010, 04:08 PM
Do you have problem with the proximity sensor? Like turning on the screen while the phone is near your face?

macbookpro17
6th July 2010, 05:23 PM
Do you have problem with the proximity sensor? Like turning on the screen while the phone is near your face?

no problem with proximity sensor, in fact no problem with anything, i absolutely love the phone!

jared79
6th July 2010, 08:33 PM
I'm amazed no-one has asked if you have the antenna issue.

Jaffa
6th July 2010, 08:36 PM
I'm amazed no-one has asked if you have the antenna issue.

Probably because it's nowhere near as big an issue as the media makes it out to be!

jok3r
6th July 2010, 09:29 PM
Probably because it's nowhere near as big an issue as the media makes it out to be!

+1
The Media and IT Bloggers will out negitive commits on Apple the moment they do something wrong, and the world will know about it.

I mean 1.7mil devices sold in a week or weekend (cant remember) and with bad publicity, imagine it was all good, they would of sold 2million for sure!

Secondly 1.7mil sold, and not everyone is complaining about it..

Not saying its just hype, but i think its not as bad as what it is.

mestevie
6th July 2010, 09:47 PM

re: the sim, i cut my optus sim using a scalpel, scissors, nail file and a template i downloaded from the internet

Indeed, I live in the future.

Shockdude
6th July 2010, 11:16 PM
Hi macbookpro17...did you have to pay any duty? I'm thinking of getting a fam member ship a iphone4 to me but am worried about duty and insurance. Cheers!

sirstaunch
7th July 2010, 12:59 AM

Don't know if this is how you did it but it will interest others in how to cut it down to size from this YouTube ScreenCastsOnline demo video YouTube - YTC033 - iPad MicroSIM Creation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF0eQNi6ZRY) ;)

macbookpro17
7th July 2010, 10:22 AM
i used a template i got on the internet, printed it out. stuck my optus sim to the page with double sided tape, used a ruler to draw guide lines on the sim with pencil, then scored the guidelines in with a scalpel, cut with scissors and then smoothed down/made final adjustments with nail file. Voila, fully working iphone4 micro-sim

Holden Caulfield
7th July 2010, 02:24 PM
Is reception etc with Optus okay? I've had no real issues with Optus on my 3G, but when I get an iPhone 4 I guess that's as good a time as any to switch.

Bradster
8th July 2010, 06:15 AM
#+=

macbookpro17
8th July 2010, 10:26 AM
i am with optus, dont use a case, touch the bottom left corner with my bare hands as much as i want and having no problems with dropped calls, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion by the media

supafly
8th July 2010, 10:33 AM
Still waiting for our Telcos/Apple to announce the release/pre-order date.

bLackjackj
8th July 2010, 12:31 PM
i am with optus, dont use a case, touch the bottom left corner with my bare hands as much as i want and having no problems with dropped calls, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion by the media

Try and get a few of your facts right.

a. Not all handsets are affected, but the majority of those sold in the States were.

b. The issue is to do with signal strength and the indication of signal strength,..it does not necessarily mean that your calls will drop out.

c. It wasn't the media who brought this to everyone's attention, it was regular Jo Bloe buyers of the iPhone 4, like you and I.

d. It was a big enough issue for Apple to say that it will be bringing out an update to rectify the mathematics used to calculate the signal strength in the iPhone 4 & show a more precise visualisation of signal strength.

e. A co-incidence that the 'bumper case' was so heavily promoted w. the Phone. Hmmm....

macbookpro17
8th July 2010, 12:34 PM

a. Not all handsets are affected, but the majority of those sold in the States were.

b. The issue is to do with signal strength and the indication of signal strength,..it does not necessarily mean that your calls will drop out.

c. It wasn't the media who brought this to everyone's attention, it was regular Jo Bloe buyers of the iPhone 4, like you and I.

d. It was a big enough issue for Apple to say that it will be bringing out an update to rectify the mathematics used to calculate the signal strength in the iPhone 4 & show a more precise visualisation of signal strength.

e. A co-incidence that the 'bumper case' was so heavily promoted w. the Phone. Hmmm....

what you on about? facts right? All i stated was my personal experience and how the antennae "issue" had not affected me.

jog on

Comet
8th July 2010, 12:52 PM
what you on about? facts right? All i stated was my personal experience and how the antennae "issue" had not affected me.

jog on

I think he interpreted your positive comments as negative thinking that you said that holding it affected your reception.

drewbles
8th July 2010, 12:56 PM

Having travelled a lot through the USA (visit regularly for work) I can say that AT&T's network is not very good.

There's a lot of areas that service is less-than-average. This therefore means, that if you have average at best coverage, any kind of depletion in signal is going to cause you issues, regardless of how the handset reports it.

It's been acknowledged the "algorithm" that they're using to effectively translate real-world dB into 'bars' is flawed. It can show 4-5 bars and be less than half the optimal strength pretty much.

So yes, whilst there are a lot of 'real world' reports, most of them are going to be in shithouse coverage areas. Watch what happens when Apple release the iOS update. Their bars will fall significantly to reflect real-world dB's. Then, the antenna issue will show as they didn't have much signal to start with.

Heck i've replicated the 'death grip' on my 3G on vodafone. I cannot replicate it on Telstra.

My 2c is that the people who are affected the most are those in what are already crappy coverage areas. Holding the phone differently will help, but if they go somewhere where the dB is around -85 or so, they're not going to have an issue (-51dB is the most optimal, being pretty much next to the tower or very close to it in direct line of site).

bLackjackj
8th July 2010, 03:39 PM

jog on

Well that's what happens Einstein, when you give an opinion, based on dropouts (not the issue), then end with a generic "the whole thing has been blown out of proportion by the media",..Lol

It is an issue,..Apple has even acknowledged that, and is now actively hiring Antenna Engineers. Another co-incidence i guess? :rolleyes:

drewbles
8th July 2010, 03:55 PM
Well that's what happens Einstein, when you give an opinion, based on dropouts (not the issue), then end with a generic "the whole thing has been blown out of proportion by the media",..Lol

It is an issue,..Apple has even acknowledged that, and is now actively hiring Antenna Engineers. Another co-incidence i guess? :rolleyes:

Did you read my post?

This *has* been blown out of all proportions. The people whinging are undoubtedly in less-than-average reception areas.

It's a design problem, but it's partly to blame on bad coverage areas (hell I can replicate it on a 3G iPhone).

bennyling
8th July 2010, 05:55 PM

C'mon now - the majority?

Bradster
8th July 2010, 06:54 PM
#+=

canonafficionado
8th July 2010, 07:45 PM
Having travelled a lot through the USA (visit regularly for work) I can say that AT&T's network is not very good.

There's a lot of areas that service is less-than-average. This therefore means, that if you have average at best coverage, any kind of depletion in signal is going to cause you issues, regardless of how the handset reports it.

If it's so bad Apple should consider releasing the next new iphone first into a country with a stronger phone network to avoid some of the negative PR next time.

lebo
9th July 2010, 03:50 PM
If it's so bad Apple should consider releasing the next new iphone first into a country with a stronger phone network to avoid some of the negative PR next time.

:) Good Point..

feeze
9th July 2010, 04:04 PM

Then have all the Americans complain about something being released overseas before America.

Apple is an American company and the USA still is their largest customer base. USA will ALWAYS get number 1 priority. Anyway, even if it worked impeccably overseas Americans would still complain and act the way they are.

The best thing Apple can do is drop AT&T exclusivity and release a CDMA version of the phone to run on Verizon.

Bradster
9th July 2010, 06:29 PM
#+=