PDA

View Full Version : Issues with iPod Minis

OziMac
26th July 2004, 11:42 AM
I know that yet again its a bit premature when people with preorders have been struggling to get their hands on their iPod Minis. However, I thought that it might be beneficial for all to have a thread to discuss some issues with the use etc of the Minis to share some feedback about how they're going.

I have had two issues, mainly connected with the clickwheel-

1) As noted in the First Impressions thread, my Mini arrived with a sticky clickwheel. I called Apple Care and the guy in India or wherever had no idea about how to fix this other than recommending that I clean it with a damp cloth. I did so, which entailed some unconfortable rubbing of the wheel and general physical agitiation that I would rather not have put my brand spanking new Mini through, and whilst it did clean and didn't affect useability in the end, the wheel lost a bit of its matte appearance and became a little shiny in certain places. Also, a friend of mine has a Mini with the clickwheel almost flush with the body, and mine feels a little recessed - not sure whether or not this was caused by my operation or not. Very subtle, but annoying for perfectionists. Later on, Atomic pointed out here that the Apple Support website acknowledges this issue and actually has instructions on how to clean it up - using sticky tape and an alcohol wipes, both of which I had and could have used far more effectively. It amazes me why these instructions weren't included in the package OR referred to by tech support - they need to improve the training of their outsourced call takers in Bangalore or wherever.

2) I'm not sure if this is a consequence of (1), but I find that the clickwheel gets dirty very easily. I'm inclined to think that this is just the way they are as it hasn't just been on mine, a friend with a new Mini has had the same problem. Perhaps this is why the 4g iPods have the grey clickwheel, which I can totally relate to now.

Anyway, these are small things, I'm still over the moon with my order, especially since it seems they are still so hard to come by even after their purported 'release date'. But the devil is in the details, and I'm sure we all want to root out the small stuff... so let us know how it is for you guys too :)

Febs
26th July 2004, 11:52 AM
I have a feeling there's going to be a much bigger issue with the Minis that'll rear its ugly head over the next few weeks.

The menu button. On some Minis, it just doesn't work.

One of our demo's had this problem (a reboot fails to fix it), and I saw another three with the same problem (not from my store).

I've heard someone say it affects 1% of Minis...but it seems to be significantly more than that. :(

OziMac
26th July 2004, 12:01 PM
Wow Febs, that's pretty serious - does that mean that everything else is functional up to playing a song or choosing a playlist - but that you can't go backwards and retreat from that to choose something else?

Where did you see these others with the problem? And where did you get that 1% figure from?

A related problem to both this and the demand issue is that it could be assumed that people who have waited a long tiem already and have received problematic Minis would have to wait even longer periods to get replacements or repairs... which would be pretty harsh on them.

Gotta wonder when (if ever) they'll get stock levels to meet reasonable demand... I can't see Minis in Target yet for a bit!

Febs
26th July 2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jul 26 2004, 12:01 PM
Wow Febs, that's pretty serious - does that mean that everything else is functional up to playing a song or choosing a playlist - but that you can't go backwards and retreat from that to choose something else?
Yep, exactly.

The 1% figure I heard from someone who heard from someone at an AppleCentre...so yeah - not exactly the best source, and as I said, it does seem to be affecting more than that.

marko
26th July 2004, 01:03 PM
Mine is working beautifully but i wish to also add
that whoever is in charge of packaging needs a good talking to!
My flywheel also has a sticky goo on it that compromises the use
of the wheel and is still causing problems three days later.
It is not as if you can put a lot of force into the cleaning as this
is the most vulnerable part of the device.
The residue gets caught where the wheel meets the body and i will
have to set aside some time tonight with cotton buds and a cleaner
that i hope will not harm the white plastic.

OziMac
26th July 2004, 01:05 PM
Again Marko, read the preceding posts and this document - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93914

Moose
27th July 2004, 12:12 AM
Ok, I have done some research, if you are having trouble with your click wheel, try this diagnostic test to operate the buttons on the mini.

I am quoting from a book "How to Do Everything with Your ipod & ipod mini" by GuyHart-Davis.

Here goes:

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off then hold down the Menu and Select buttons for a few seconds to reset your ipod.

2. When your ipod displays the Apple logo, hold down the Previous and Select buttons for a few seconds until your ipod mini displays a reversed Apple logo.

3. When the screen goes blank, release the buttons. Your ipod momentarily displays a screen of scattered text and then conducts a RAM test. Press Select to display the list of diagnostic tests.

To use the diagnostic tests, use the following keys:

* Press the Next and Previous buttons to navigate through a list of tests.
* Press the select button to run the highlighted test.
* Press the Play button to return from the results of a test to the diagnostic screen.
*Select Reset diagnostic to return to normal operation or hold Select and Menu for a few seconds.

If one of the buttons on your ipod seems to stop working, you'll probably be able to tell without diagnostics. But before you call for backup, you may want to check that your ipod agrees with you that there is a problem. To do so, run the Key Test. Your ipod gives you five seconds to press all the buttons on your ipod's front panel. It lists each button as you press it, the Select button is listed as Action. If you press all of the buttons within the five seconds, and your ipod registers the presses, your ipod displays KEY PASS. If you miss a button, or if one of your buttons isn't working, your ipod displays KEY FAIL. I n which case you will need it to be repaired. :(

I hope this helps. :)

Radar
28th July 2004, 11:02 AM
Well, I hate to say it, but the figure is more than 1% with the menu problem.

This morning, I got my mini. Only to find out it's got this problem. It is not cool at all. I'm very dissapointed.

OziMac
28th July 2004, 11:17 AM
Really REALLY sorry to hear that Radar. Very unfair given the epic saga of your wait for it. :(

I reckon report it to Apple Care immediately and find out what the damage/wait will be. And in the mean time at least enjoy the functionality of the Mini you have now while you can.

Radar
28th July 2004, 12:30 PM
I rang up Apple Tech Support, which I shouldn't have bothered with. For anyone that's seen Seinfeld, I was talking to a guy who had the exact voice of Babu Baht, and even said when I explained what was wrong 'That sounds like a very bad problem'. He then said I should take it to a dealer to get them to make sure the button isnt working.

I've filed an iPod Repair Request Form, where they send me a box that I send back to them with the iPod. Hopefully, it all happens quickly.

OziMac
28th July 2004, 12:41 PM
That is bad. Very, very bad :D

Was his name 'Ivan'? I am trying to work out if he is located here or in an outsourced call centre in India...

Febs
28th July 2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Radar@Jul 28 2004, 12:30 PM
where they send me a box that I send back to them with the iPod.
I've heard you can get these from Australia Post. Pre-addressed to Apple and everything...
(Though as I said on OCAU, you have the right to ask for a replacement Mini).

estoyloco
28th July 2004, 04:46 PM
Apparently there have been some reports of normal iPods having some statit problems with the earpiece hole, not earphones but an internal problem.. iPodLounge reported that in two separate 40GB models it happened, and they bought them from seperate stores etc.. So thats no good either... hopefully Australia gets a good shipment.... i never heard of problems with any apple product before i came to these forums... no dead pixels, loose connections etc...

Anyways if anyone receives one soon let me know how it is!!! I want to get one soon!!! --> 4G Ipod

Currawong
28th July 2004, 07:20 PM
Unless it's changed, the Australasia call centre is located in Sydney.

Radar
10th August 2004, 05:37 PM
Well, today I finally got the phone call in class that my iPod was fixed and available for pickup. This struck me as strange, considering I didn't give them my mobile number and it's not listed, but that's another story. Anyway, I picked my mini up this arvo, and was very happy to see that it had been replaced with a brand spanking new unit, still in the wrapper.

This one works fine, and it's great. I'm definently happy with the service at the local Apple Center, and also very happy with the iPod. Although, the Apple Center didn't ask me for any ID whatsoever, so I could have been anyone. I was almost tempted to try that on the G5 PowerMac I saw out the back :)

OziMac
10th August 2004, 07:07 PM
Awesome Radar! Great to hear it! Hope you're loving every second of it :)