PDA

View Full Version : Reverting to Previous OS

back2mac
28th June 2010, 08:59 PM
Is it possible to revert to a previous OS version?

I have an iPhone 3G. Worked perfectly. I updated to OS4 recently and everything now is SO SLOW.

I would like to revert to my previous version.

Vojtin
28th June 2010, 09:18 PM
Try to reboot it ten times, it helped to me.

This Downgrade from iPhone OS 4.0 Beta, Back to iPhone OS 3.1.3 | Mac|Life (http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/downgrade_iphone_os_40_beta_back_iphone_os_313) worked with GM

kyte
29th June 2010, 05:52 AM
Try to reboot it ten times, it helped to me.

This Downgrade from iPhone OS 4.0 Beta, Back to iPhone OS 3.1.3 | Mac|Life (http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/downgrade_iphone_os_40_beta_back_iphone_os_313) worked with GM

Looks like a similar process to the one I used to get back to 3.1.2 but when I couldnt make calls with it, upgraded again (but with a pwned 4).

Its possible though that Apple will refuse to allow a downgrade. I couldn't even get it to restore to a clean 3.1.3 when I already had it on my phone. iOS4 was the only option. "This device is not eligible to install iOS3" was the message, or something similar.

lukemc
29th June 2010, 06:20 AM
A full restore and reinstall of os4 fixed the speed issues with my wifes 3G phone back2mac

nando
29th June 2010, 08:34 AM
apple should have not allowed users with 3G to move to ios4 it makes ur phone sooooo ugly slow.. :( with no real gains

Vojtin
29th June 2010, 03:57 PM
Try to reset all settings.
Settings>Generel>Reset>Reset All Settings
It will take two minutes.

Devil rolla
29th June 2010, 04:11 PM
Apple are not signing 3.1 firmwares from what i've seen and tried over the weekend. You get errors that the firmware can't be validated / activated and it asks you to restore to 4.0.

kyte
29th June 2010, 05:40 PM
Yep. The only way round that is if you have jailbroken in the past and have your SHSHs on Saurik's server. Then you can trick itunes into thinking its going to apple to verify but in fact it points to Saurik and you are good to go. If you never jailbroke.. no go.

Jay
29th June 2010, 11:00 PM
The maclife route works. I did it today and I have gone back to 3.1.3 successfully. After I have fully restored, iTunes is still telling me OS4 avbl as if I am going to buy into it. Hopefully apple releases a further security update for iPhone OS3 or atleast make a lite version of OS4 for the 3G.

kyte
30th June 2010, 05:49 AM
The maclife route works. I did it today and I have gone back to 3.1.3 successfully. After I have fully restored, iTunes is still telling me OS4 avbl as if I am going to buy into it. Hopefully apple releases a further security update for iPhone OS3 or atleast make a lite version of OS4 for the 3G.

Oh, really? I might give it a try then, I'm not really keen on iOS4, it doesnt give me anything that I really must have, and I lose MyWi.

[edit] failed, for me. Completely. Stuck on the connect to itunes, slide for emergency. I'll try once more
[edit#2} nope. Had to go down the previous path as described in another thread.

iGobbleoff
30th June 2010, 07:04 AM
Hopefully apple releases a further security update for iPhone OS3 or atleast make a lite version of OS4 for the 3G.

In all honesty, I doubt they would do this. iOS4 is the OS for the iPhone and they would continue to support it, and eventually phase out old OS's. They stop support for old OSX versions, why would they change for the iPhone.

I think you're going to find you'll eventually have to upgrade one way or another (be it OS or hardware).

battye
30th June 2010, 06:37 PM
Hopefully in 4.0.1 they fix whatever issues are causing the 3G to run slowly. It only seems to be things like time to bring up an app, or click a button in the app (ie. clicking Settings takes a long time to load, then clicking General takes a while as well). I'm sure this is something that could be fixed in the software to make it more efficient.

Jay
30th June 2010, 08:36 PM
I think iOS4 for 3G is like what vista used to be for XP loaded comps.... Needs lots of processor power, but if u have the processor power it is pretty snappy like in the 3GS. Which makes me believe 4.1 or any version of iOS4 is going to be unrunnable on 3G. That makes you think why ever Apple decided to say 3G can run iOS4. I think the answer to that is Apple felt ppl r going to cry foul if Apple said it is not allowed for 3G. Besides ppl will try to find loading it anyway. After all what is apple going to lose. U put OS4 in ur previously usable 3G, then it gets unusable, u can't go back to OS4 then what do u do? Buy iPhone4. lol isn't it a great plan lol ....

Currawong
30th June 2010, 09:55 PM
Evidently something in iOS4 is buggy. There's no need for a "lite" version, successive versions are always going to perform faster (bugs notwithstanding!). We don't have every person with a 3G who updated complaining, so conspiracy theories about Apple releasing versions of the OS that are slow are nonsense. Apple don't do that kind of thing. Comparing it to Vista is bullshit. Again, it's a bug of some kind.

smidge
3rd July 2010, 01:36 AM
it was enough to make me get myself a 3gs

luckily the price are dropping slowly

i now have an unused 3G sitting here that i won't even give away cause i wouldn't wish a phone that slow and useless upon anyone

not impressed.

BowieNIN
3rd July 2010, 08:55 AM
My 3G was painfully slow aftr upgrade - but i also had 16GB's full to the brim installed on there.. i cleared out some stuff and now have 1GB free and the phone is alot more responsive....

entropy
3rd July 2010, 09:00 AM
I think it might be that the 3G just doesn't have enough ram. Maybe the iOS4 uses more than OS3.
Browsing gets successively slower and slower until I just have to reboot.

kyte
4th July 2010, 08:53 AM
Well, I've been up..down..up...down... and now I've gone up to 4 again (pwned) and installed remove recents as I had before... I forgot, when I downgraded to 3.1.3, that I would still have the same baseband, so I could not access the older version of MyWi and now have to fork out another $10USD if I want to use it again... oh well, such is life. I've got my battery % switched off, and am not going to fret about it.

cartz
16th July 2010, 02:37 PM
I've finally managed to downgrade my non-jailbroken 2G iPod touch to 3.1.2

To do this: downgrade iTunes to 9.0.1 (temporarily rename your existing iTunes library because it won't be compatible). Download the 3.1.2 firmware (3.1.3 won't work with this method). Put the iPod in DFU mode. Use Option & Restore and select the 3.1.2 firmware. I don't know if this will work with a phone or not.

Google will find you the right versions of iTunes and the firmware and an explanation of DFU mode.

the_OM
20th July 2010, 10:07 PM
If you have push notifications on, try turning them off...... I and my friends have had some success with this. It still is slow compared to os3, but definitely not as much (and no where near 30 secs to open the SMS app!).

b00
20th July 2010, 10:56 PM
Hey guys mine was painfully slow until I updated to the latest version. 4.01 is now much more zippier and actually usable on my 3G. Give this a go. Worked for me. Also noticed in the new update there is no longer a really small bar for the signal. It's got 5 bars and the first one looks like the 2nd smallest bar in oldest version.

Hope that helps. :)

bartron
30th July 2010, 06:09 PM
Well, after the hard resets and point upgrade I finally got jack of os4 and downgrade to 3.1.3

Fortunatly I had a backup from pre os4 upgrade so restoring after the downgrade was easy but worst case I could have dealt with it.

Best thing though...I have my phone back. If there is a significant update to os4 to make it work then I might consider it but for the few features 3G owners could actually 'use' it's just not worth it yet.

idiesel
2nd August 2010, 10:16 PM
Here's a "how-to" video for 3G iPhones. Looks pretty simple really

CNET Link - Downgrade your iPhone 3G from iOS 4 (http://www.cnet.com.au/downgrade-your-iphone-3g-from-ios-4-339304919.htm)

warwagon
2nd August 2010, 10:51 PM
follow this link to - How to Downgrade your iphone 3G.
I used it and now my 3G is as good as it was before iOS4.... very simple to do and it works.
Remember that anything you have done with your Phone since moving to iOS4 will be lost even if you backup now. Since you will only be using a backup from before the upgrade.

How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3G[S] from iOS 4 to iOS 3.1.3 (http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g)