PDA

View Full Version : iPhone mute kicks in when talking

Mel7
28th June 2010, 11:24 AM
Hi all

When talking on my iPhone 3G, the mute key has activating itself lately, which is most frustrating. I thought maybe my earrings were hitting it, but tried using it without earrings only to have the same problem occur.

Has anyone else experience this, or is there something wrong with my phone?

dacoda
28th June 2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah I've had that happen a few times, it was my check touching it.

How often does it occur?

Exocet
28th June 2010, 01:18 PM
Make a phonecall, and then press your thumb to the left hand side of the earpiece. Does your screen go blank? If not, your proximity sensor isn't working and you should get your iPhone repaired.

Mel7
28th June 2010, 02:50 PM
Make a phonecall, and then press your thumb to the left hand side of the earpiece. Does your screen go blank? If not, your proximity sensor isn't working and you should get your iPhone repaired.

Screen does not go blank. Perhaps I should just click onto contacts in future to save the mute from appearing - as an interim measure?

Devil rolla
28th June 2010, 03:15 PM
your proximity sensor isn't working and you should get your iPhone repaired.

do this ^, asap.

interim, use the headphones + mic that came with the iphone.

gbuikstra
28th June 2010, 04:38 PM
I have been experiencing the same problem on occasions, I can here others but they can't here me. I have not noticed the mute button being activated, but this well could be the cause.

This thread gave me a hint though. My screen protection film was lifting on the top lefthand corner, right near the proximity sensor. Maybe this has caused the sensor to behave erratically, allowing the mute button to be pressed while on a call.

I have now removed the film and will see if things have improved.

Thought this may help others too.

Mel7
7th July 2010, 04:36 PM
I have been experiencing the same problem on occasions, I can here others but they can't here me. I have not noticed the mute button being activated, but this well could be the cause.

This thread gave me a hint though. My screen protection film was lifting on the top lefthand corner, right near the proximity sensor. Maybe this has caused the sensor to behave erratically, allowing the mute button to be pressed while on a call.

I have now removed the film and will see if things have improved.

Thought this may help others too.

Yep - that's what is causing the problem. I did a google search and found that some films cause the sensor to play up. My problems started when I replaced the existing film with a new mirrored film - so I could check my lippie and hair before going into meetings ;). A bit of a girlie indulgence I know. Anyway, I replaced the mirrored film with a boring old plain film and the thing is working again.

Now I need to go back to using the conventional mirror method :rolleyes:

Devil rolla
7th July 2010, 04:45 PM
mirror films, gets em every time. Glad to hear its fixed.