PDA

View Full Version : Finder won't run, as any user.

Febs
26th July 2004, 11:16 AM
Hi guys.

I've got a machine here at work running 10.2.8, and it's developed a problem where the Finder won't run. After startup, no matter which user logs in, the Finder just won't start (saying "Finder not Running", then "Application not Responding" when you try to run it). It also doesn't appear in the Force Quit window...so I can't relaunch it that way.

I've gone into single user mode, and removed the Finder prefs (for both users), as well as the WindowServer prefs (figured it was worth a shot...), but no luck.

Short of reinstalling from the CD (I don't think we've got a 10.2.8 installer, only 10.2.3, and I don't want to do a clean install), can anyone think of anything else I can try? Any other prefs/files I can delete in single user mode?

Cheers,
- Febs.

PS: The machine runs some Pro Tools, a DIGI001 deck (I think, music production isn't my area of expertise :)), but apart from that just the basics like iDVD, iMovie etc... I've tried unplugging the 3rd party hardware, no luck there either.

Febs
26th July 2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Febs@Jul 26 2004, 11:16 AM
I don't think we've got a 10.2.8 installer, only 10.2.3, and I don't want to do a clean install)
Just realised I've got an external FW HDD here that I can boot from, then install from the 10.2.8 updater...but I'd still rather solve the problem rather than stick a band-aid over it. :)

Febs
26th July 2004, 04:03 PM
Getting a few more details now..

Console details the Finder crashes, and lists the host as "B.protools.local", so the problem definitely seems to be ProTools-related.

I've removed all StartupItems that weren't necessary, and moved all the ProTools prefs out of the Prefs folder, but still no luck.

Trying the 10.2.8 combo updater now (reinstall, but not clean install). I'll see how that goes...

Disko
26th July 2004, 04:08 PM
are you sure that protools.local isn't the name of the computer?

Febs
26th July 2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jul 26 2004, 04:08 PM
are you sure that protools.local isn't the name of the computer?
Hmm..that'd make sense, but the machine was definitely named StudioB.

I guess someone could've changed the .local name though, and left the computer name as StudioB. (It can be done under 10.3....not sure about 10.2)

Anyway, I ran the 10.2.8 combo updater and it fixed the issue. I'm still curious as to what the actual cause was though...

dirtymouse
27th July 2004, 07:44 PM
in terminal:

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

press enter

enter in your admin password, press enter

away you go. watch the fun.

this should resolve any incorrect permissions that can be set by third party installers
or occassional crashes. Perhaps the finder has 'chucked a wobbly' because it, or
something it is was dependant on, had incorrect permissions set.

the update you applied would have done this automatically.
but this is for future reference.. should you encounter the problem again.

Febs
27th July 2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by dirtymouse@Jul 27 2004, 07:44 PM
in terminal:

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

press enter

enter in your admin password, press enter

away you go. watch the fun.

this should resolve any incorrect permissions that can be set by third party installers
or occassional crashes. Perhaps the finder has 'chucked a wobbly' because it, or
something it is was dependant on, had incorrect permissions set.

the update you applied would have done this automatically.
but this is for future reference.. should you encounter the problem again.
Thanks, but I knew about repairing permissions (should've mentioned I already tried it).

It didn't help in this situation.