PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IN GODS NAME WERE THEY THINKING!!

Mongrel
25th June 2010, 09:36 PM
Hello all,

Sorry for yelling, but I am so peeved it aint funny.

Today I went to Mac1 to purchase a new power supply for my 3 year old Mac Book Pro, as my one the cable is fraying.

When I pick the box up I notice the magnetic end looks different, and so I questioned the it with the sales rep, and he tells me that Apple have changed the design, but it is still compatible - don't worry.

So I get it home and after a couple of hours of running my MBP I need to plug the power in - and here is where it goes pear shaped.

I can't plug the thing in while I have a USB key plugged in, as it does not fit.

WTF were they thinking when they come up with this crap!!

It goes back on Monday and I will fix the old power supply myself, as this is just ridiculous!!

See pic below!!

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/839/imgp8689k.jpg

gehenna
25th June 2010, 09:37 PM
that is one giant usb key!

Mongrel
25th June 2010, 09:39 PM
Not really!! I have a smaller one - same thing!! There is just not enough room.

That one is an SD to USB converter as the MBP has no SD reader.

auspad
25th June 2010, 09:42 PM
surely there is another usb port you could move that massive thing to?

Mongrel
25th June 2010, 09:44 PM
There is one on the other side - However, that is the side that my cooler-pad's lead is on. It does not reach the other side. So to plug an SD card into my MBP, I now have to unplug my cooler and to plug the converter in.

What was wrong with the original design for god's sake. Why change for change sake. GRRRR!!!

Lutze
25th June 2010, 09:46 PM
There is one on the other side - However, that is the side that my cooler-pad's lead is on. It does not reach the other side. So to plug an SD card into my MBP, I now have to unplug my cooler and to plug the converter in.

What was wrong with the original design for god's sake. Why change for change sake. GRRRR!!!

Ask my boss... that's gone through 4 of the original designs.

Mongrel
25th June 2010, 09:48 PM
Ask my boss... that's gone through 4 of the original designs.

Why?

gehenna
25th June 2010, 09:50 PM
The original design frayed, as you discovered.

Geoff3DMN
25th June 2010, 09:56 PM
However in defence of what the OP is saying my new MacBook Pro (which came with the new connector) Apple have shifted the USB ports further away from the power connector than it was on the previous model which implies they were aware some USB devices would have problems.

Mongrel
25th June 2010, 10:01 PM
The original design frayed, as you discovered.

No - Mine was frayed down the other end where it connects to the converter - not at the top near the MPB.

Tomorrow I open the old supply and fix it myself. This one goes back on monday.

bennyling
25th June 2010, 10:01 PM

Today I went to Mac1 to purchase a new power supply for my 3 year old Mac Book Pro, as my one the cable is fraying.

I do believe you just answered your own question.

No - Mine was frayed down the other end where it connects to the converter - not at the top near the MPB.

Oh, okay. Then it must have been the multitudes of other people's cables that frayed (http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=magsafe+frayed).

gehenna
25th June 2010, 10:03 PM

Yeah they fray near the magsafe itself as well, the whole unit was a bit of a lemon really. I went through two on my gf's MacBook a few years back.

LCGuy
25th June 2010, 10:04 PM
Could you perhaps run the SD reader via a USB extension cable? Its a pain, and another cable to carry around, but just a thought. I usually carry one with my MacBook for fat USB devices, such as one of my USB drives and my 3G dongle.

Spalf
25th June 2010, 10:06 PM
haha come on! You had to have walked into a computer store and asked for the largest usb device they had!

It looks like the SD card reader is blocking access to the port on the other side too! Its like trying to park a tank in one of those 'small cars only' spots.

Its unfortunate for you though, however i'd have thought the newer design was a bit better than the older one as i am forever yanking the cord out when i walk past the girls computer with it hanging out the side.

Mongrel
25th June 2010, 10:11 PM
Yeah they fray near the magsafe itself as well, the whole unit was a bit of a lemon really. I went through two on my gf's MacBook a few years back.

Well the rest of the unit looks exactly the same. :(

gehenna
25th June 2010, 10:19 PM
They're not. The original magsafe has a rubber connection between cable and plug. the new one has a hard plastic connection. It's the rubber connection where the fraying occurs. Same thing happened with the Apple In-Ear headphones which is why they changed from rubber to plastic on those as well.

Mongrel
25th June 2010, 10:24 PM
They're not. The original magsafe has a rubber connection between cable and plug. the new one has a hard plastic connection. It's the rubber connection where the fraying occurs. Same thing happened with the Apple In-Ear headphones which is why they changed from rubber to plastic on those as well.

Hmm... Side by Side - these look and feel exactly the same.

Oh well. I will fix it!

gikku
25th June 2010, 10:27 PM
looks to me like your issue is with that usb device. :confused:

Mongrel
25th June 2010, 10:32 PM
looks to me like your issue is with that usb device. :confused:

No - My issue is why change things for the sake of changing them. There was nothing wrong with the design of the last one - OK some have mentioned the material was the wrong choice, but the design was fine... WHY CHANGE!!

The USB device as stated is an SD converter. As my video and photo cameras now all capture to SD, and the fact that the MBP does not have a SD card reader, I need the converter.

Anyways...

Enough said. I will sort it. I was just venting, as one does when silly decisions get made that affects one!

Cheers
-J

gehenna
25th June 2010, 10:34 PM
No - My issue is why change things for the sake of changing them. There was nothing wrong with the design of the last one - OK some have mentioned the material was the wrong choice, but the design was fine... WHY CHANGE!!

it was originally designed like that for the MacBook Air. I guess they figured it was a better design because less MBA power supplies were being returned for the same reasons as the other power supplies (just speculating), and ran with the design. Personally I like it better. For me using my 17" MBP on my knees i often knock the square magsafe out or bend it with my thigh so that it disconnects. With the thin magsafe that never happens to me.

DeanCorp
25th June 2010, 10:36 PM

The USB device as stated is an SD converter. As my video and photo cameras now all capture to SD, and the fact that the MBP does not have a SD card reader, I need the converter.

Anyways...

Enough said. I will sort it. I was just venting, as one does when silly decisions get made that affects one!

Cheers
-J

That's such an ignorant comment. If you actually bothered to try and search instead of lazily posting on the forums you would know that the previous design was terrible. PLENTY of power adapters were being returned for servicing due to fraying at the tip. The new design prevents this from happening.

Get yourself a smaller/slimmer usb key or if it's the older 15" you can buy an Express 3/4 media card reader!

this thread can be closed!!

gehenna
25th June 2010, 10:41 PM
this thread can be closed!!

Why thank you for the permission.

Seriously, the guy has a point as is backed up by Geoff3DMN - the new magsafe doesn't play nicely with older macs in terms of positioning. There is a solution - get a smaller usb key - but it costs money. It's fair to say its inconvenient for the OP and there's no law against venting frustration.

DeanCorp
25th June 2010, 10:43 PM
there's no law against venting frustration.

That's not the point I was making. I was saying that he is ignorant in thinking they changed the design for the sake of it. There clearly were issues with the previous design that have been rectified in the new design!

JimWOz
26th June 2010, 07:16 AM
I have used a 2 power adaptor solution ever since the one for my PB G3 Lombard wore out where the lead meets the transformer/rectifier box after about 4 years of use, and I had to solder cables and tape her back up. I remember looping the lead around the brick and taping it, so a different section of the cable was stressed by all the winding / unwinding.

I just leave one at home, and one at work now for my MB.

You can still get the old model as refurbs for both 60W MacBook and 85W MBP from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/A1290AR/). :thumbup:

I got one a few months back for my MB when the adaptor at work just died. - I think it was heat fatigue from working 10hrs per day every week for over 3 years.

It is interesting that there appears to be abundant refurbs. OWC have been selling them for ages. People must be replacing their laptops on short cycle now, generating a lot of saleable spares.

The design of the new one, based on the OP's image, looks like it will just clear the adjacent ethernet port on my black MB. :)

Mongrel
26th June 2010, 08:43 AM
I have used a 2 power adaptor solution ever since the one for my PB G3 Lombard wore out where the lead meets the transformer/rectifier box after about 4 years of use, and I had to solder cables and tape her back up. I remember looping the lead around the brick and taping it, so a different section of the cable was stressed by all the winding / unwinding.

I just leave one at home, and one at work now for my MB.

You can still get the old model as refurbs for both 60W MacBook and 85W MBP from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/A1290AR/). :thumbup:

I got one a few months back for my MB when the adaptor at work just died. - I think it was heat fatigue from working 10hrs per day every week for over 3 years.

It is interesting that there appears to be abundant refurbs. OWC have been selling them for ages. People must be replacing their laptops on short cycle now, generating a lot of saleable spares.

The design of the new one, based on the OP's image, looks like it will just clear the adjacent ethernet port on my black MB. :)

Hi Jim,

Not a bad idea to have 2! Might just hang on to the new one, and use it when I am out on site, and leave the other one at home. Hmm...

Mine too frayed at the transformer end - and not at the tip like stated above.

I have even noticed that on this machine it is not an easy snug fit like the old one. I have to wrestle with this one a little to get it to "mate"

I suppose 3 years of good use out of this machine, with the only real serious issue being the plug pack, is pretty good I guess.

PS: - I didn't realise it was illegal to post a message in a public forum before researching. ;)

Cheers
-J

iPirate
26th June 2010, 06:59 PM
Normal spacing of USB ports:

http://imgur.com/syYmA.jpg

Methinks you have a fat USB device that doesn't use an extension cable. Only solution will be to get one. USB plugs should also be short enough in height to allow to be put in vertically stacked USB ports as well. Methinks Apple designed their power plug well, it is your SD converter that is designed imperfectly. You were just lucky while the power plug was thinner.