PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.5 and windows 7 networking

eden_kwok
25th June 2010, 05:07 PM
Hi all. I am a nooby at networking, but thought i will give it a go and I have ran into some problems.

So i recently brought a pc thats running windows 7 home premium. As all my files are on my macbook (running OS X 10.5) I have decided to try and set up a LAN for file sharing. Firstly, I attempted to do it wirelessly by enabling file sharing on the mac (i.e. sharing the files, enabling SMB, creating guest account etc) and on the pc (i.e. enable file sharing and disabling firewall), which work well for small files but always dropped out on larger files (i.e. stuff bigger than a few GB). It was also slower than what I wanted it to be, so I have decided to do it using ethernet cables and a switch (so that I can add to the network later). I have been told that this will provide much more stability and speed, however I am stumped as to why my mac and pc cant see each other. Any ideas on setting it up would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

gehenna
25th June 2010, 05:12 PM
Well your switch will need to be connected to your router as well as the computers, so that the computers are able to get the same IP address range on them and see each other. You can't just connect the two computers to a switch and expect them to see each other. The only way that would work is if you were to manually enter IP details for the ethernet ports on both computers.

So the easiest option would be to connect the switch to your router with one ethernet cable, then connect an ethernet cable to the mac and the switch, then connect an ethernet cable to the windows pc and switch. that way both computers will automatically get IP addresses from the router VIA the switch and be able to see each other.

eden_kwok
25th June 2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks, unfortunately connecting the switch up to the router is not really possible. I live in the sharehouse and the router is placed in the living room, whilst the LAN I want to set up will be limited to my room.

I would like to know how to manually set the IP addresses on both the computers. Do the IP addresses have to be the same or different?

gehenna
25th June 2010, 06:35 PM
The IP addresses will be different for each computer, but in the same subnet. So for example:

192.168.10.5 - PC
192.168.10.6 - Mac

Make it different to your WiFi IP subnet though. You go into System Preferences, Network to set the IP addresses manually. Or in Windows I think it's in the Networking preferences somewhere.

eden_kwok
25th June 2010, 06:59 PM
so does the same subnet define what network its on?

gehenna
25th June 2010, 07:01 PM
yup it means that for file transfer from one to the other you'll be communicating on one network, while for internet access etc your wifi will be on another network

eden_kwok
25th June 2010, 07:21 PM
so I have just set the IP addresses for both computers.

Mac : 192.168.10.5
PC: 192.168.10.6

both with the same subnet. It saids its connected to a network but I cant see one computer from another

gehenna
25th June 2010, 07:24 PM
what did you enter for subnet mask and gateway?

eden_kwok
25th June 2010, 07:29 PM

Didnt put anything for the windows gateway and didnt see anything to enter a gateway for the mac

eden_kwok
29th June 2010, 12:10 AM
bump for answers

equill
29th June 2010, 02:38 AM
There is a variety of methods available, starting with just an ethernet cable between the Mac and PC, and increasing in complexity from through an ethernet switch to through the Internet.

Start from Switch 101: Migrate Your Files or your Windows System (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2518)

idiesel
29th June 2010, 08:36 PM
Home networking with Windows 7 (http://www.cnet.com.au/home-networking-with-windows-7_p5-339301383.htm#vp)

davidcolville
4th July 2010, 11:34 PM
A few suggestions:

Mac OS X calls the 'Gateway" its "router address".

Make sure that the "NetBIOS" section on the Mac includes the same "Workgroup" name as in the "System" control Panel on Windows.

Check that the Windows computer can "ping' the Mac (ping 192.168.10.6) - or at very least the Firewall on the Windows computer has been adjusted to allow "File and Printer Sharing" for computers on the local network.

See how you go and let me know if I can help

Cheers
David@keyoptions