PDA

View Full Version : Help!

sadie
18th September 2005, 07:52 AM
Hi all.

Last night my wife changed the name of, and then moved, our home directory. Since then, after restarting the mac, we have now reverted to all factory settings. We have 'lost' all items in all programs, too. When I say lost, items such as e-mails, itunes files, can be located on the HD but do not show up when the application is opened. I don't know where all my addres book contents are now either.
Is there any way to recover all settings, and files, and preferences to the way they were before? Perhaps we have our home directory in the wrong place, hierarchically speaking??
WE are running an iMac G5 with OSX 10.4.2

Any help would be most appreciated. I am willing to jump on the phone to anyone with answers if that would be easier....

Thanks.
Steve

Galumay
18th September 2005, 07:56 AM
use spotlight to see if you can find them??

sadie
18th September 2005, 08:37 AM
Some of the items can be found using spotlight, but it's going to be a very long process if I have to import all files from where thay are now to where they should be. I reckon if I can work out the hierarchy of where files/folders should be then that might fix it. I now think that we've mucked around with system level folders, such as 'Users".

dangelovich
18th September 2005, 08:59 AM
Use spotlight to find a file, then in the spotlight menu, select Show All.
Select a file you know is in the user directory and go File -> Get Info.
That will reveal the path of the file, and will let you know where to look for the full directory.

If you know what your username was (the UNIX name - called "Short Name" in the Accounts system preference), enter into Spotlight: "kind:folder username"
Then again, click Show All, then Get Info and see where the folder is hiding.