PDA

View Full Version : Outright or 24 month contract

smurphy
24th June 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi guys,
I'm a tad torn on the matter of the iPhone 4.
I'm extremely excited about this device and it's release here in Australia, whenever that would be.
When it does come available, I'm not sure as the whether I should purchase it outright from the Apple Store (i.e. pre-order and have it shipped and then get a plan from a mobile telco. The iPhone 4 16GB will most likely cost $900-1000 outright in this case and the you add your mobile plan on top of that.

The other option is to get a 24-month contract. I will take Vodafone for example on their current iPhone 3GS Plans. They have one where you pay $69 monthly for the Cap and $0 upfront for the device. You get $450 worth of credit, unlimited Vodafone to Vodafone calls and 500MB of data. The total minimum cost for that is $1656 over the 24 months (2 years). Now, unless I'm missing something, isn't that plan a way better deal then spending $1000 on the phone outright from the Apple Store. Could you get a similar 'sim-only' plan for the same benefits for 24 months for less than $656. By all accounts you would still get the iPhone 4 on release date (i.e. delivered or pick it up in store on release date)

I have been reading a bit on the forums and everyone seems to be favouring buying it outright. I have a feeling I could be missing something here. Could someone explain it and why buying it outright is a better option than that plan example I gave in the last paragraph.

Thanks,
Sam.

Balthazar
24th June 2010, 01:35 PM
Simple... if you have the money ($700 - $1100 my guess) now to spend... buy it outright (it will cost less of 24 moths) if not get it on contract for free and you will spend more over 24 months but not incur such a large initial cost.

I always buy on contract because i dont have the money upfront to spend.

hendot
24th June 2010, 01:42 PM
Simple... if you have the money ($700 - $1100 my guess) now to spend... buy it outright (it will cost less of 24 moths) if not get it on contract for free and you will spend more over 24 months but not incur such a large initial cost.

Its not quite that simple. Sometimes the cost on a plan is less over the 24month than if you bought outright and got a plan separtely.

No-one knows until the plans come out.

smurphy
24th June 2010, 01:49 PM
Hi Balthazar,
Say I was to buy an iPhone 4 16GB Black outright for approx. $1000 and get it delivered on the release date.
Looking back at that Vodafone plan in my original post, how much would I be looking at paying for a plan. Are you saying that for 24-months, I would be looking at paying no more than $700 for a plan with calls/texts/500MB of data?

I'm just asking because I definitely have the $1000 or so to buy the iPhone outright, but that Vodafone plan I mentioned just looked like a way better deal.

Also, how does the micro sim system work. I noticed that in some of the iPhone 4 unboxings I have watched, there is no sim tool included. Would I just go into the Vodafone Store say and get my plan setup, then once I get the iPhone 4 in the post from the Apple Store (considering I buy it outright) what do I do then? I'm still not 100% sure how it works.

Thanks,
Sam.

Balthazar
24th June 2010, 01:59 PM
It depends on your usage of course, I only use about $6 a month on calls a month

macrich
24th June 2010, 03:53 PM
I have the 3GS on the unlimited Vodafone plan and I plan on buy the iPhone 4 outright this year. Since I'm already in the middle of a two year contract, I'll just do a sim swap and keep the contract going for the rest of the time.
I think personally from now on, I'll be buying the phones outright, this way it's not locked to any carrier in particular and I can swap sims around when I go into areas not covered by Vodafone (without having to pay the "unlock" fee)

mac_man_luke
24th June 2010, 04:00 PM
I bought my 3G on a 24month contract and will do the same next time.

It cost me $11 x 24 = $264 for a 16GB 3G + $39 which i would have to pay regardless if i was on a contract or outright

VOOK
24th June 2010, 04:09 PM
Will be getting it outright unless I can get one for free from Telstra somehow (doubt it).

~Coxy
24th June 2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah, plan pricing can often make sense especially with discounts on handset repayments due to "loyalty".

I had been with 3 for about 2 years, on the $29 cap.
They offered me a 16GB 3GS for $25/mo, on my existing cap, and I get a bonus 1GB of data that the normal iPhone plans get.

Total handset cost is $600, which was much cheaper than the outright cost at the time, and is still a little cheaper even now.

kevinnugent
24th June 2010, 04:41 PM
Also, because Apple historically (which will also probably continue) bring out new products each year, and if you are like most of us you will want to get that new product. Sometimes being halfway through a 24 month plan can make that difficult or too expensive. I'd recommend looking at a 12 month plan if available.

NeoRicen
24th June 2010, 05:10 PM
Only go on a 24 month plan so long as you're not going to be one of those people who bitch about not being able to end it early in 12 months when there's a new phone.

A 24 month contract is a 24 month contract.

DIESELBOY
24th June 2010, 05:20 PM

I always buy on contract because i dont have the money upfront to spend.

I agree with you mate. I think I am going to do the same. :)

icant
24th June 2010, 05:22 PM
In retrospect, Virgin’s $70 per month 24 month contract has been really good. She gets to make a lot of calls—including international, has lots of data, for a fixed cost.

(Optus network sucks though).

At the time, I didn’t understand the “yes time”, “yes whatever” that Optus was offering, Telstra was pricey, and Vodafone had poor data prices. 3 weren’t offering.

It depends on your usage of course, I only use about $6 a month on calls a month

Exactly. If you find a plan that fits you, and you’re not upgrading, then IMO it’s good.

I have an outright iPhone, because my usage is more atypical—low call making, mainly need data on the go. I think if you can micromanage your usage a bit (unlike our $70 for “a lot of calls”), then you could make “buying outright & get plan separately” work for you as well.

smurphy
24th June 2010, 07:40 PM
I would probably use data (mail, web browsing) the most because I make minimal calls (probably 10 a month at most) and minimal texts (no more than 20 a month). 500MB of data and I would be sweet in my opinion. I basically want the iPhone 4 so I can combine my current, very average Nokia mobile phone with my iPod Touch 2G and have all the features in one + many additional features that neither device has (better design, multitasking, retina display, 5-megapixel camera, keyboard text functionality, video editing through iMovie, iBooks, front-facing camera + FaceTime, Voice Control, Maps + GPS functionality, Compass, Microphone etc.).

Would this make me more suited and possibly better off to buy the iPhone 4 outright and get a separate plan?

Edd
24th June 2010, 08:18 PM
I think it really comes down to not just how much on average you spend a month, but how consistently you spend $x. Consistent usage favours a plan, whereas bursts of usage favour prepaid (bonus credit, 2 month expiry, etc).

Buying the phone outright will give you 3 things:
1. You can generally switch plans willy-nilly (once per month), to save money if you are about have a quiet month. In a contract you can generally only switch up, or possibly up and down, but never lower than what you started with.
2. You can do prepaid and pay as you go.
3. You can buy a new phone without worrying about the contract.
4. You can give the network the middle finger and leave Optu... er... I mean, "that particular network" whenever you want.

However, is all of that worth about $800? I would say unequivocally no. (Except for in Balthazar's case, for example, where it probably makes sense to just buy $15 of prepaid calls for 2 months.)

So before you enter a contract, you should check the following:
• What to expect in terms of service quality. In some areas, like metro Melbourne, I'm told that Optus is unbearable. Try to get some opinions from people in your area about how the quality is, because this is what you are paying thousands of dollars for.
• The plan you want is not significantly more than you would use. Don't go for the $79 plan for the savings in handset repayments if you don't use more than what the $39 would give you. You will be paying for it for awhile.
• That you can wait 2 years for the next iPhone. Given that you have resisted the 3G and 3GS, I'd say this probably isn't a problem.

tezz27000
25th June 2010, 03:28 AM
i say split the difference and look into a 12 month plan

Minkey
2nd November 2010, 08:40 AM
Just gave the GF my old 3G and she needs to get it set up. What's be best Telstra plan for an unlocked outright phone?

She doesn't need more that 500MB data and she will probably be fine with 200MB.

Couple of calls and a couple of texts per day.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

M

Edd
2nd November 2010, 10:34 AM
I assume you want a casual plan (no contract), but unfortunately Telstra's are a ripoff:
Casual Plans - Telstra (http://telstra.com.au/mobile/plans/casual_plan.html)

Compare that to getting 4x the included credit each month, more data and a subsidised phone when on a contract.

Couple of calls and texts each day means she will need at least $100 of credit each month, if not more. $100 casual plan + $10 browsing pack. Unless I'm missing something, it would be way cheaper to just get her onto a brand new iPhone 4 contract with a $49 cap (which gets you more credit and data than that $110 package above - not to mention the subsidised phone.)

Sigh.

Minkey
2nd November 2010, 10:45 AM
I suspected the above might be the case. Oh well. I might advise she get the new iPhone 4.

M

cappuccino
2nd November 2010, 10:33 PM
Telstra 24 month plan $49 per month + $149 upfront = $1,325 total cost for iphone 4 16GB

iphone 4 16GB = $859

the plan is $466 /24 = $19.42

there are of course other providers that have even cheaper plans, but I picked the telstra one since all others have reception soooooooo bad, you might as well not have your iphone connected to a network hahahahaha

I would get plan because even if you bought the iphone outright, any mobile plan will start at around 19/29 per month BYO (well the ones with phone + data). so you've saved nothing.

the only way you save is if you get a prepaid or postpaid plan where you have no data usage, or you go with a very crappy provider like dodo or something.

ALSO, if your not in a rush, most providers have a promotion, telstra had a 3 month credit for people who brought their number across from another provider.

I got the above Telstra plan with 3 months credit for bringing it over from vodafone, i.e. total cost was 1178, so the plan was really $13.29 per month for $400 worth of calls and 500 mb download.

got thousands upon thousands in the bank and still get everything on plans hhahahah.

i think a while back buying outright was cheaper cause the iphones where starting at like $79 per month, but now there are lots of $49 plans making it less worth it.

cappuccino
2nd November 2010, 10:38 PM
I assume you want a casual plan (no contract), but unfortunately Telstra's are a ripoff:
Casual Plans - Telstra (http://telstra.com.au/mobile/plans/casual_plan.html)

Compare that to getting 4x the included credit each month, more data and a subsidised phone when on a contract.

Couple of calls and texts each day means she will need at least $100 of credit each month, if not more. $100 casual plan + $10 browsing pack. Unless I'm missing something, it would be way cheaper to just get her onto a brand new iPhone 4 contract with a $49 cap (which gets you more credit and data than that $110 package above - not to mention the subsidised phone.)

Sigh.

hahahaha, yeah the telstra casual plans are a massive rip off, but most BYO plans are, unless you seriously only make 10 minutes of calls a month... in that case, prepaid is better, virgin prepaid is massive value for money.

get the $49 telstra plan on 24 months + 149 upfront. its $400 worth of calls, which on their charge rate = 250 minutes of calls, of course you'll get around half of that since of connection costs etc. So just get your past mobile phone bills, total up the minutes used and the amount of calls, simple.

remember that the caps mean nothing, $400 worth of calls on telstra can be worth only $200 of calls on vodafone, use basic maths and logic to reduce plans to their 'true cost'.

cappuccino
2nd November 2010, 10:48 PM
I think it really comes down to not just how much on average you spend a month, but how consistently you spend $x. Consistent usage favours a plan, whereas bursts of usage favour prepaid (bonus credit, 2 month expiry, etc).

Buying the phone outright will give you 3 things:
1. You can generally switch plans willy-nilly (once per month), to save money if you are about have a quiet month. In a contract you can generally only switch up, or possibly up and down, but never lower than what you started with.
2. You can do prepaid and pay as you go.
3. You can buy a new phone without worrying about the contract.
4. You can give the network the middle finger and leave Optu... er... I mean, "that particular network" whenever you want.

However, is all of that worth about $800? I would say unequivocally no. (Except for in Balthazar's case, for example, where it probably makes sense to just buy $15 of prepaid calls for 2 months.)

So before you enter a contract, you should check the following:
• What to expect in terms of service quality. In some areas, like metro Melbourne, I'm told that Optus is unbearable. Try to get some opinions from people in your area about how the quality is, because this is what you are paying thousands of dollars for.
• The plan you want is not significantly more than you would use. Don't go for the $79 plan for the savings in handset repayments if you don't use more than what the $39 would give you. You will be paying for it for awhile.
• That you can wait 2 years for the next iPhone. Given that you have resisted the 3G and 3GS, I'd say this probably isn't a problem.

all roads lead to telstra lol, so if your out of contract, just bite the bullet and get telstra.

i've been through vodafone, optus, virgin mobile, 3, orange, every network you can think of, call allowances and data usage means nothing if you can't USE IT! you get 25% less usage on telstra than other providers but, at least you can bloody use it. vodafone gave me 2 gb on my old iphone contract, and seriously, there wasn't a moment i could get a 3G signal to use it....

so on that basis, just pick telstra, and you wont be changing providers since it is the 'end game'... remember that even when you are in contract you can change your plan will nilly, so long as the plan is equal to or more, there are no termination fees. so even when your on a 24 month contract or 12 month. when a plan with more usage and the same cost comes out you can change without extending the contract. when i'm in a 24 month contract, i've changed probably every 3-6 months, without increasing costs, they just keep coming out with plans which are the same cost but more usage.

prepaid only works if you get a cheap phone. a $859 iphone + $20 prepaid per month is the same as a 24 month contract. you get less usage as well.

worrying about contracts is usually a concern for most people, but contracts are not evil. you work out exactly how much you use and pick the right one, not rocket science, if you pick a plan which gives you too little or too much, then you really need a lesson in common sense.

if your a type of person that MUST get the new gadget every 12 months, get a 12 month contract, and at the end of it sell the phone. unlocking fees are not alot, its $25 usually. check before committing.

samuelowens
2nd November 2010, 10:52 PM
If you're prepared to sign up for 24 months, you may as well. Now that Telstra does free unlocks, you get a straight $700-$710 subsidy on the phone and a heck of a lot of calls and SMSs.

Only thing I'd caution is that there are rumours on Whirlpool of new Telstra data packs just round the corner (apparently 17 November or thereabouts).

Edd
2nd November 2010, 10:56 PM
Anyone who's thinking of signing up soon should wait for that, given they just missed out on the 1/2 priced data pack promotion that ended on the 1st of November.

6GB on Telstra iPhone 4 + 11.6" MBA is my sweet portable rig right now. Highly recommend. :)

dekco
3rd November 2010, 12:39 AM
ALSO, if your not in a rush, most providers have a promotion, telstra had a 3 month credit for people who brought their number across from another provider....

I thought it was just the $200 welcome credit. How did you get 3 mth credit?

cappuccino
3rd November 2010, 04:54 PM
I thought it was just the $200 welcome credit. How did you get 3 mth credit?

I think the welcome credit is only for BYO iphones? I just negotiated over the phone.

dekco
4th November 2010, 12:29 AM
From my understanding and here (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1507969&p=-1#bottom) that it was for all new contracts.

the BYO credit was $300 i think.