PDA

View Full Version : Is Msn Messenger Working?

slhogan
17th September 2005, 08:51 PM
For 2 days running now I've not been able to log into MSN Messenger, is anyone else getting the same problem?

I'm using the latest Mac version of Messenger and was able to use it successfully 3 days ago. I went to MS website but couldn't find any info about Messenger being down.

ADAMS77
17th September 2005, 08:59 PM
This might be an obvious answer but try checking your user name and password.
ive been using msn over the last 2 days and it went down for about half an hour today i think. but the rest of the time it was fine.
also, if your sure your user name and password is fine then try downloading Fire and seeing if that will log your msn account on. http://fire.sourceforge.net/

W2ttsy
17th September 2005, 09:06 PM
its working for me fine. and also for a few other users who share the computer...

maybe a config thing? try tossing out your prefs for messenger and starting over. or checking your firewall? maybe you arent letting messenger through? especially if you have changed the topology of your network in the last couple of days..

W2ttsy

marc
17th September 2005, 09:07 PM
Or www.adiumx.com (http://www.adiumx.com).

zac
17th September 2005, 10:34 PM
Yeah get Adium, I used MSN for years before I discovered it. You will never go back, guaranteed.

andrewcod
18th September 2005, 12:13 AM
I don't see why everyone seems to love Adium so much. I tried it out a couple of weeks ago to log into MSN and iChat simultaneously. Personally, I found it was so much easier just to have both MSN and iChat open instead.
Adium often didn't save my display picture and I couldn't even change the font i was typing in. Also, why give up audio and video conferencing from iChat when you can only use text with Adium? It has so many downfalls, I seriously wonder why people don't just have two programs open instead. The only thing Adium really has going for it is that it looks nice. :S

adamjc
18th September 2005, 01:01 AM
Messenger has been working fine for me the past week or so, have been on it constantly.

emacmark
18th September 2005, 07:58 AM
MSN has been offline for about a day down here as well. I vah open out hotmail mailbox but not log in to Messenger
Mark

edit: is working as of 0815 sunday

The Architect.mac
18th September 2005, 09:08 AM
i take on board your points andrewcod and no it isn't a big deal to have 2 apps open, but I for one am of the belief that a IM client should be able to IM well and Adium has great widgets to match and the toolbar icon thing and its an open source project (i beleive - show some support)

Messenger 5 would have had me back with a little bit of audio or somethin but they wasted all their time on Live Comms Server integration and display pictures.

My progression through IM clients.

Messenger
then got mac and .mac account

Messenger and iChat
then attached msn name to a jabber.org.au

just iChat for both accounts
sucked

then
AdiumX
all accounts and future accounts and it gets upgraded!!!!! explore a little more it can do more than you think - the skinning and modding alone is cool enough to use it. (Purple duck icon with a powerbook - luv it and the yoda one is cool.

Cheers

DJY
18th September 2005, 11:53 AM
MSN did go down for me yesterday as well.
I used Adium, and a few mates noticed the service didn't work for us yesterday.

Because I use Adium at least I still had ICQ though!
I do really like iChat... but it is a shame that Apple are soo American-centric and only allow for connections with AIM.
The quality of the audio and video chats in iChat are much better than anything else I've ever seen - either Mac or PeeCee based.

cnidus
19th September 2005, 12:36 PM
My messenger isnt working either...

I can access web msn (e-messenger.net) on the ibook, can logon to msn on hte windows box... but neither messenger 4.1 or 5 is owrking on the ibook. just takes ages to try and sign in and finally comes up saying "the service is either unavailable or you're not connected to the internet"

I have retyped the password a few times so I know that to be correct, and Im definitely connected to the net.... safari is working flawlessly.

Ive got a usb adsl modem attached to a wiondws box that is using windows ICS to share the connection accross the network... works fine.

Can anyone help?

Graham
19th September 2005, 08:32 PM
My MSN Messenger refused to log in for the last few days. Tried it at 4pm and still nothing. Just tried it again and it works.

Since my parents got a new eMac to go along with getting broadband we've been using the audio chat feature on it. It's fantastic as (a) we always know when the other person is there and (B) it's a lot cheaper than interstate phone calls. I'll think I'll be asking some of my MSN contacts to use an AIM client since MS doesn't want to add voice to their Mac clent.

Squozen
19th September 2005, 08:39 PM
I use Adium for Jabber (Google Talk), MSN, ICQ and AIM. Sod using four clients when one will do everything. I'd use iChat for videoconferencing if I had an iSight and friends with Macs, but I don't so :)

andrewcod, Adium saves my avatar just fine. It's constantly being updated, but if you find a bug you need to REPORT IT. One of my pet peeves is people that complain about a bug or missing feature in a program but never actually tell the authors of their problem. I think it's just an Australian thing, to quietly stop using something instead of trying to make it better. Apparently it happens a lot with restaurants too (I know I'm always too gutless to say 'No, actually that meal was crap and I'm offended to have to pay for it' when the waiter asks if we enjoyed ourselves).

edit: Oh, and I just remembered, there's a way to use MSN and so on with iChat and Jabber, just Google for it. :)

emacmark
19th September 2005, 08:43 PM
Graham,
Have you tried Mercury?
http://www.mercury.to/index.php?sub=WhatIsMercury