PDA

View Full Version : Ibook Internet

joz31
17th September 2005, 07:52 PM
hi,
when i get a new base model iBook G4 12 inch,
do i have to go onto the internet to register or anything?
do you have to have internet access on it?

thanks

creativeshed
17th September 2005, 07:54 PM
Nope - it'll all work without need the internet. :thumbup:

joz31
17th September 2005, 08:04 PM
does anyone actually know exactly what you need to get broadband on an ibook?

;)

dangelovich
17th September 2005, 08:07 PM
It depends on the broadband type.
Most ISPs will supply a modem of some kind...
It's best to get a modem with an Ethernet port for use on a mac. Then you don't have to worry about drivers or anything.

marc
17th September 2005, 08:13 PM
A lot of ISPs won't supply ethernet modems (TPG for instance!). They only provide USB. I had to buy my own.

Don't worry though, they're cheap and pretty easy to set up.

Mine cost about $90.

spy
21st September 2005, 02:09 PM
Or you could always get cable and link it to a wireless router.

napes
21st September 2005, 02:55 PM
Heya Joz31 :)

I've got an iBook at home. It connects wirelessly to my broadband connection. I've got an Airport Express connected to a cheap DLink 302g modem. I get excellent coverage over the whole house. Also have an old G3 iMac & a G4 wirelessly connected too.

Your new iBook has airport extreme already installed. The above setup or aimilar would probably suit you just fine. A few hundred dollars to set up initially, but the hassle free cable-less internet is worth every cent in my opinion. :)

spy
21st September 2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by napes@Sep 21 2005, 02:55 PM
Heya Joz31 :)

I've got an iBook at home. It connects wirelessly to my broadband connection. I've got an Airport Express connected to a cheap DLink 302g modem. I get excellent coverage over the whole house. Also have an old G3 iMac & a G4 wirelessly connected too.

Your new iBook has airport extreme already installed. The above setup or aimilar would probably suit you just fine. A few hundred dollars to set up initially, but the hassle free cable-less internet is worth every cent in my opinion. :)
i second that. :) wouldn't go back to wired internet

joz31
21st September 2005, 03:01 PM
thanks everyone!

:)

richbowen
21st September 2005, 03:05 PM
I'm with Napes.

Wireless from iBook to Airport Express ($199 from Apple). Ethernet cable from Airport Express to Broadband modem. I use Optus cable and the Motorola modem they provided has worked flawlessly for 18 months.

Wireless on a laptop is fantastic for home. If you add a $2 cable from the Airport Express to your stereo you then have AirTunes, which is absolutely fantastic - iTunes on your home stereo controlled by your laptop which can be somewhere else in the house.

:thumbup: :D :thumbup:

saaaahm
26th September 2005, 08:24 PM
i dont need an airport extreme router for my ibook do i? I can just use the dlink router my housemate has?

tommelbourne
26th September 2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by saaaahm@Sep 26 2005, 08:24 PM
i dont need an airport extreme router for my ibook do i? I can just use the dlink router my housemate has?
Yep, it will definitely work, you just need to have the iBook configured so that it can pick up the signal.

limpboy
27th September 2005, 07:08 AM
do i have to go onto the internet to register or anything?
do you have to have internet access on it?

Nah. OSX doesn't require registration but you will need internet access to get all the updates.

Quick note about connecting to a wireless router. It should be fine but if you have problems with your WEP key try putting a $ in the front of it. (I spent a bit of time retyping the WEP key in before I found out about that little gem)