PDA

View Full Version : Ibook To Another Family Member

kaisersozay
17th September 2005, 11:50 AM
The iBook is setup using OS 10.2.8 with my name as Computer Owner and I would like to just change the christian name to another member of the family. Before proceeding. I will explain why we are stuck at 10.2.8 [and happy enough]. Because we are in the bush and use Telstra ISDN we cannot upgrade as there are conflicts with 10.3 and above. Telstra have no solution [to anything much].
Anyway, I am sure this is a duh question, but I do not particularly want to just reinstall [unless that is the simplest method]. After all it is a lengthy procedure with 10.2 discs, then the 10.2.6 combo update, followed by the 10.2.8 combo update. If I have to, I will, but something tells me there is an easier way and if there is... someone here will know about it. Keep in mind, I am a dolt and require simple explanations, often accompanied by expletives and instructors screaming 'No, no, no!'
So please be kind [the government classifies me as elderly].

g4cube
17th September 2005, 08:14 PM
My guess would be to look under accounts and change the admin name.

Wheels
17th September 2005, 08:53 PM
I doubt that changing the admin name would change the computer name.

I know under Tiger, you go to System Preferences, then click on sharing, and its up the top under the field "Computer Name." I have no experience with 10.2 so sorry if I'm not very helpful but at least look for sharing or even network.

wheels8989

kaisersozay
18th September 2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by wheels8989@Sep 17 2005, 08:53 PM
I doubt that changing the admin name would change the computer name.

I know under Tiger, you go to System Preferences, then click on sharing, and its up the top under the field "Computer Name." I have no experience with 10.2 so sorry if I'm not very helpful but at least look for sharing or even network.

wheels8989
And the Oscar goes to Wheels8989!
Simplest and best solution. Worked instantly. Thanks a million. About two minutes before reading your post I had the Install Disc 1 in the iBook ready to start the complete process. I have been searching everywhere for this solution and have read tons of answers in Terminal and Console, all of them fraught with danger. I must say I even read 900 pages of the Missing Manual without a solution and I am stunned that Wheels8989 appears to be the only person on the planet to know this gem. 'Mac Help' had no answers and like a dope I went into Accounts and My Account looking for possible solutions, completely overlooking Sharing.
Many people must buy second hand Macs and either everyone knows about it or they just leave the old owner alone. I appreciate that it is a great way to make certain the owner has a legal Install Disc, but they are not necessarily available with used gear.
Does anyone know if it is (a) okay to make a backup of the 3 discs and if so how to?
Just by the way, I have about 6 other Macs [not all will handle OSX] but those that do can now be passed on with the new owners name thanks to Wheels8989. It would be nice to have all the family have their own Install Disc set.

SimplyBea
9th June 2008, 01:28 PM
And the Oscar goes to Wheels8989!
Simplest and best solution. Worked instantly. .......
Many people must buy second hand Macs and either everyone knows about it or they just leave the old owner alone. I appreciate that it is a great way to make certain the owner has a legal Install Disc, but they are not necessarily available with used gear.

I have just taken over bf's 18month old 24" iMac and he has installed Leopard on it for me. I have been using the iMac for about 2-3 weeks? now and it is really annoying that everything is in his name.... as this is kind of secondhand - everything is still registered in his name and when we d/l and install new programs it is still using his name and password..... so do I have to reinstall from scratch to change that or can I just reset it as you have done???

I am so afraid of making some irreversible change and don't have time machine set up yet as i am waiting to see which hdd i should get..... so i am nervous and need reassurance on best way to go about it - did a search and couldn't find any other thread on this ???