PDA

View Full Version : Attaching photo to email problem

Philip
21st June 2010, 01:04 PM
I have tried different ways to attach a photo from Iphoto into an email message. The picture does not appear, but a dotted rectangle gets attached instead. It has a down arrow picture and "Mail Attachment" text. This file does not open into a photo.

Appreciate any help. I run MAC OS X 10.6.4 and an early model Iphoto 08.

TJA77
21st June 2010, 01:38 PM
Sounds like your mail is set up to give you the option to download the pic rather than just loading it straight up. If you press the rectangular icon does it load your picture?

Philip
21st June 2010, 02:55 PM
Sounds like your mail is set up to give you the option to download the pic rather than just loading it straight up. If you press the rectangular icon does it load your picture?
Hi,
Double clicking on the "Mail Attachment" box opens a page titled Mail Attachment. There is nothing listed on this page.
I've just tried something. The problem appears when I try to drag and drop photos from the Iphoto library. But if I load a disc with photos, which then opens up in Iphoto, I can drag and drop these photos into email from here OK.
Perhaps it is an Iphoto issue?

stewiesno1
22nd June 2010, 10:53 AM
Drag the photo or a copy of it to your desktop and attach it from there.
Do a get info on it to make sure nothing like permissions are restricted on the photo too just to check.
Sometimes I've found the paths ( if that's what its called ) from iPhoto get broken or corrupted.

Stewie

Philip
22nd June 2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I can't move a photo to desktop and make it 'stick'. Following on your idea of a broken pathway, I note that my Users/MyName/Library doesn't have iPhoto listed. I actually have iPhoto Library in a separate folder called Users/MyName/Pictures. Is this where the problem may be? Not sure how to rejig the folders if it is.
Cheers!

Balthazar
22nd June 2010, 02:28 PM
Rather than opening iPhoto by clicking on the iPhoto application, Find your iPhoto library using the finder then double click on it, this should open iPhoto using the active location and might fix your problem as it sounds like your library cant locate the files and i referring to library thumbnails perhaps?

Fingers
22nd June 2010, 03:14 PM
Can I ask a silly question.....Why are you running the latest OSX 10.6.4, but only the 08 iPhoto...?

Would that be anything to do with it?

Before I knew how to drive iPhoto......I had all my photo's in a folder on my desktop......I would send the email straight from Mail, as an attachment and just select the photo file from the desktop?

If all else fails, you could just do this, by dropping and dragging the photo from iPhoto onto your desktop.....?

MarkW
23rd June 2010, 11:03 AM

stewiesno1
24th June 2010, 02:31 PM
Well mine is in Users/myname/pictures/iPhoto library too, so I'd suggest that something is messed up, probably as a result of you using Snow leopard with 08 iPhoto as Fingers says.
Maybe create another folder in Users/myname/pictures without using iPhoto - just as a normal folder until you get it straightened out.

Stewie

Philip
8th July 2010, 04:03 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice. My problem has been solved (can't drag and drop iPhoto pictures). As someone suggested, there was a pathway problem and there was a file permissions error. I contacted Apple support and they were also very helpful.