PDA

View Full Version : Installing OSX issues - diagnoses required

su888
19th June 2010, 09:40 PM
Ok here are the facts.
I have a 15inch macbook pro, and 13inch macbook pro in the house. (both are unibody i5s)

I recently decided to format my 15inch macbook pro computer, and went to reinstall snow leopard but was unable to find my disc. So went out and purchased the DVD, and went to boot up - it recognises the disc when booting holding the option key. However, it gets to the grey screen with the apple logo and pauses there for 30 minutes... so i turned it off and tired the disc on my 13inch. It works fine and boots into the installation after resetting and option key.

So - this illiminates the disc issue which was highly unlikely since it was a new one. So more then likely, it would be a drive issue - so to verify this i put my original DVD's from the 13inch macbook pro into the 15 and it actually boots up and gets me to the installation screen (obviously won't install as its designed for a 13inch) it got me stumped! I can use the tools from the installation cd and did a disk check and there are no problems.

Tried a SMC reboot - hard to tell if it works or not???
and a PMU but the same problem above continually re-occurs.

Can anyone please advise what other suggestions i should try, unfortunately the machine is just out of warranty... by 3 months so taking it back to apple is a last resort.

:(

cosmichobo
19th June 2010, 09:53 PM
Get a firewire cable and boot the 15" in firewire mode, hook up to the 13", and use the new Mac OS Instal disc to instal to the 15"'s hard drive.

su888
19th June 2010, 10:07 PM
Ok will try that tomorrow - but why isn't it working at the moment with what i have

gehenna
19th June 2010, 11:16 PM
Try booting using the C key instead of the Option key.

harryb2448
20th June 2010, 08:23 AM
As above boot and hold down 'C".

Holding down Option will give you a list of drives to boot from.

su888
20th June 2010, 09:48 AM
Tried the C key - but still the same problem.

Will try the firewire cable route.

Currawong
20th June 2010, 10:55 AM
If it's one of the latest models, chances are the retail DVDs don't have the drivers necessary to boot and install Mac OS X on them.

Here's a lesson for everyone: When you buy a new Mac, keep the box, receipt and install disks in a safe place together. :)

dev_enter
20th June 2010, 01:25 PM
I was thinking that, Currawong, but he said it's out of warranty. A retail Snow Leopard disc should work on any MacBook Pro except the 2010 released machines...

sleek881
20th June 2010, 04:14 PM
How can they be out of warranty if they are i5 machines, (Released April 13 2010)? To be 3 months out of warranty it can't mid 2009 (Released June 9) so it must be early 2009 (Jan. 6 2009).

Brenno
20th June 2010, 04:36 PM
Currawong is correct. You need a very recent version of the install cd to boot the i5's (and presumably the i7's)

The 13" wouldn't be an i5, which is why it boots.

I went through a very frustration exercise when trying to use a CCC image of a C2D Macbook Pro on my i5 Macbook pro - it just won't boot.

su888
20th June 2010, 05:44 PM
Guys, thanks for the help!
Went back through the paperwork - and the 13inch is out of warranty and the 15inch is not (Its actually a purchase from Jan this year).

So it explains why the retail snow leopard disc don't load on my 2010 i5 15inch machine.

Any suggestions on what to do -

Brenno
20th June 2010, 06:17 PM
If it was purchased in January then it wouldn't have an i5 processor - they were released in April.

If it is definitely an i5 then the only way around it would be to acquire an original install disk for the updated Macbook Pro's, or perhaps Apple are shipping some updated retail install discs now.

dev_enter
20th June 2010, 07:01 PM
Please use this site (currently down) to find the exact model of your MacBook Pro: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do