PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver Basics

new2mac
15th September 2005, 11:02 PM
Ok I've decided to build a web site using Dreamweaver.

Have bought book etc. Know what my pages should look like etc.

Now what. I'm staring at Dreamweaver and need a some basic 1,2,3 steps to get started (books too techie).

Can someone give me an example of their first steps in design please? Hoping that after a kick start I'll find some confidence. :huh:

gmask1
15th September 2005, 11:55 PM
The first bit of the Lynda.com course on learning dreamweaver is available to preview at:

This page. (http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=72)

You could do worse than a free overview of the proggy... :)

konni
16th September 2005, 09:34 AM
I always start with a paper sketch/plan of the site architecture. This puts in the back of my mind what I may need regards CSS classes, variations on the theme for different pages in the site etc.

Next I design and build the look of the interface in photoshop (or you could use Fireworks) then slice it up and move it to Dreamweaver. This stage includes turning on and off layers, deciding what parts will be image and what images will later be discarded and added back in as HTML text objects. Also I determine any roll-over images and background tiles etc. that I might need.

Once in Dreamweaver, I consider how I will simplify and nest tables (means adding in a spacer row using spacer gifs for the width of each column and 1 pixel high) or convert areas to div-layers. Later I get rid of spacer gifs in the areas that will contain text etc. Next comes site-wide functionality - navigation, behaviours, linking to CSS and Javascripts - so that you end up with the blue print (or template) for the whole site. Then add the content.

Kind of a simplistic guide to the planning and design phases but you can't expect too much in a forum for what would easily be minimum a 1-day workshop. Eventually you're going to want to understand HTML-4 or XHTML - which sound working knowledge of, in my opinion, is where web development starts, and turns Dreamweaver into a handy tool.