PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro -> iPad and iMac

inrainbows
16th June 2010, 03:56 PM
Has anybody made this switch or is considering it? Do you miss having a full powered portable? I find myself using my MBP less and less and rather than upgrade I thought maybe I would get an iMac instead for home use. I'm a uni student and mainly use my MBP as a glorified PDF reader when at uni (and procrastination machine :). I might keep the MBP until it dies as a dedicated music computer.

Am I overestimating the usability of the iPad? I am going to try it for a while but am interested in other peoples opinions/experiences.

gehenna
16th June 2010, 03:58 PM
Personally I swing the other way. Full powered 17" MBP and no desktop. I have had desktops for years but really I just don't need to be tied to one location, and the power of the MBP is great for my needs. Having an iPad would supplement that by meaning I could do quick tasks without needing to take out my MBP, or I could leave it set up as my desktop replacement from time to time without taking it with me.

ajbeardy
16th June 2010, 04:11 PM
I have a MBP 15" and an 24" Apple LED. I am thinking along the same lines of getting rid of both of these and buying a iMac and using the iPad for portable needs. When I bought the MBP I thought I would take it with me more but it just sits on the desk all hooked up.

I am also tempted to look at the new Mini and sell the MBP..

Lucas
16th June 2010, 05:25 PM
I have found since buying my iPad I haven't used my mbp and only rarely my iMac. I don't even think it's the new toy thing. It's just the net when and where I want it in a small package. The iMac I use for torrents & typing etc. Buying a bluetooth keyboard I would see the ability to ditch the mbp for sure and use the iMac even less. I think I will always have desktop & laptop though I'll just replace them less often. If I had no tech I would do what you have thought about - desktop & iPad easily.

kyte
16th June 2010, 05:28 PM
I am also tempted to look at the new Mini and sell the MBP..

new mini is tempting me to sell my imac. ipad, jury is out. I'm enjoying it, but....

iCantwait
16th June 2010, 06:42 PM
I'm running the last gen 2.66 MBP with a 20" ACD pretty much as a desktop 95% of the time.
I also have an iPad and thatcovers all my travelling needs.
I love the look of the Mac Mini 2.66 but what puts me off is the lack of dedicated graphics.

iMac will be the way to go. I think I might get the 27" refresh i9 FTW and drop the MBP

hosko
16th June 2010, 07:01 PM
I went from a MBP to a Mac Pro + iPad. Its awesome. Having said that I do a lot of video editing in final cut and photos in aperture. Sure its nice to have the pro apps available on the go but really I find it more practical to have an ultra portable device with me all the time instead of hardly ever wanting to cart my MBP around.

kungfucamel
16th June 2010, 07:16 PM
i'd love to be able to sell my MBP and get an iMac and use my iPad. Would good for for running Sharepoint VM's as well - the MBP can struggle at times.

SlyOne
16th June 2010, 07:20 PM
Since owning the iPad i have been using my iPad for remote task to my MacBook and windows machine. I am thinking of getting e new mac mini to replace the lack of performance with apps used.

I use my Macbook for torrents and streaming media and also aperture work. The only thing which is slowing me down to put money do is the small hdd, performance needs for vmware fusion and parallels and the possible graphic slugginess when playing steams games

But at the end of the day the iPad is a great laptop replacement, yes I said it! So now what do I do about replacing the Mac book with....new Mac mini or iMac i7??

guy
16th June 2010, 10:17 PM
I've settled for iPad+netbook. Netbook for syncing and torrents. If I need to do a lot of typing I'll buy a wireless keyboard.

I'd recommend getting the iPad first, see what residual things u use your existing computer for, then make a decision on what to replace it with.

aswitcher
17th June 2010, 07:17 AM
iPad is going to replace my MBP. I think this is a good solution, iPad and iMac.

thats awesome
17th June 2010, 08:12 AM
I'm a uni student and mainly use my MBP as a glorified PDF reader when at uni (and procrastination machine :)

Why not buy an iMac and use the University computers to read PDFs as you're reading them on campus anyway.

Am I overestimating the usability of the iPad? I am going to try it for a while but am interested in other peoples opinions/experiences.

The iPad can read PDFs, however you might want to look into the process of getting the PDFs onto the iPad in the first place.

Not everyone is satiated with the iPads PDF readability.

inrainbows
17th June 2010, 02:10 PM
Why not buy an iMac and use the University computers to read PDFs as you're reading them on campus anyway.

The iPad can read PDFs, however you might want to look into the process of getting the PDFs onto the iPad in the first place.

Not everyone is satiated with the iPads PDF readability.

The uni computers are generally either all taken or in noisy computer labs. I use them at the moment when I need I need to use some software, print or cant be bothered to take my MacBook.

I agree there is no perfect solution for getting PDFs onto the iPad at the moment. Dropbox, goodreader, quickoffice and iannotate are all useful but cant do everything. Im hoping quickoffice will add some more features soon and become a complete solution. This is still a really new device remember. I think 6 months from now it will be able to do just about everything I would want in a portable (multitasking, printing, I think it definitely needs a better way to manage files something integrated into the OS and not an app by app thing)

I really, really want a pressure sensitive Bluetooth stylus that will allow note taking/annotating. Hopefully the iPen is released at macworld. :D Also an app that can do mathematical type (if there isn't already...)

I think I am going to wait for the next, next update (so ~12 months) of the iMac though.

DanGleibitz
17th June 2010, 03:00 PM
What is wrong with "the process"? It's easy.

Via the cloud: Dump them into Dropbox (or similar)
or
Via the Wifi: Drag & Drop into Goodreader
or
Via the Plug: Upload via iTunes

Not everyone is satiated with the iPads PDF readability. That may be true, but for reading A4 size PDFs on the move, I'd argue it's pretty much unbeatable. The vertical resolution and 4:3 format means that it displays almost all A4 documents full-screen and readable. The same can't be said for the 13" MBP... unless you hold it on its side! :laughing:

jbjose
17th June 2010, 03:20 PM
I have an iMac and iPad at the moment.

Excellent set-up and perfect for my level of mobility. iMac as the workhorse, iPad as the mobile media consumption device.

Benefit: Your home computer can be "always on"; downloading, streaming as a home media server, web serving or available for remote ssh.

Disadvantage: iPad is not as capable as a laptop. But... if all you're doing is reading pdfs... it's perfect.

nez
17th June 2010, 03:43 PM
i too have an imac / ipad combo.

imac for creating content. ipad for consuming content.

if you plan on taking notes at uni then I would stick to a macbook / pro. I'm not sure the note taking apps on the ipad are heavy duty enough for uni but that's just a guess and not speaking from experience.

inrainbows
17th June 2010, 04:44 PM
I have an iMac and iPad at the moment.

Excellent set-up and perfect for my level of mobility. iMac as the workhorse, iPad as the mobile media consumption device.

Benefit: Your home computer can be "always on"; downloading, streaming as a home media server, web serving or available for remote ssh.

Disadvantage: iPad is not as capable as a laptop. But... if all you're doing is reading pdfs... it's perfect.
I'm not "only" reading PDFs. Obviously I use it for email and web browsing as well which the iPad is definitely capable of. I think it would be perfect though. It's a much better size and i wont need to take a charger. As long as I can download any PDFs I need directly (which I can with iannotate and goodreader but they don't sync with dropbox :( currently) then it does everything I need. I'm doing mechanical engineering/physics so I don't do any typing at all.

I use the lab computers whenever I need to use any software that I don't have or need to print currently anyway. Some of the mathematical/calculating apps out already though are excellent. Wolfram Alpha is great for physics and maths as I used to use Mathematica a lot. I havnt fully explored the iWork apps or quickoffice yet.

i too have an imac / ipad combo.

imac for creating content. ipad for consuming content.

if you plan on taking notes at uni then I would stick to a macbook / pro. I'm not sure the note taking apps on the ipad are heavy duty enough for uni but that's just a guess and not speaking from experience.
Im doing maths based courses so i can't really type out notes anyway. I want something that will allow written and typed input and will allow me to integrate and supplement my notes with the course notes in PDF form. And keep them organised and synced! Obviously there has to be a stylus that works first though.