PDA

View Full Version : What are your Macs called?

Febs
24th July 2004, 11:15 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only person here who's spent ages choosing a name for their new Mac...so, if you're in the same boat, what are your machines called? (Also include iPods/other Apple gear, if you'd like).

My main Mac (DP 500MHz G4) is called "Tank". Named so because of the "Tank" series of tv ads that accompanied the G4's release.

My printer (Laserwriter 12/640) is called "Jammy", because it jammed a LOT when I first got it (which is why it was freeeee :D). It's since stopped jamming, but it keeps the name. :)

Finally...I'm getting an iPod and 12" Powerbook next week, but I have no idea what to call them. I was thinking "Mr iPod" for the iPod (yes, I'm terribly creative). Not sure what to call the PowerBook though. Any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers,
- Febs.

PS: (Though it's not an Apple product) if you're ever doing a search for BT devices and you see "So'sYourMother"...that's my phone. :P

elvis
24th July 2004, 11:20 PM
Any mobile device I own instantly gets the title "elvismobile" (as in "bat-mobile", etc).

So far I've only ever had one laptop/notebook/mobile device at a time, so no conflict of names there. :)

_xfire
24th July 2004, 11:24 PM
my 12" ibook G4 800MHz is called 'whitey'.

the parents old PC i like to call the brick ;)

a picture of whitey (http://users.bigpond.net.au/rodski/midnite_vultures/4.jpg)

Ozi
24th July 2004, 11:40 PM
My pBook is tentatively called "Silvia" (as in Plath, the poet) but I have nightmares that one morning i will find my pBook has gassed itself to death in the oven, so I am still trying to think of a name. I have only had it since they came out, so I need longer to think about it. My T610 is called "Pro" or "lil' pro" because Pro => Prozac => depression => feeling blue => colour of my phone. (its a Blue T610)

Silvia => silver => colour of my pBook, so thats simpler to work out. :rolleyes:

frenchtoast
24th July 2004, 11:42 PM
well my G4 14" ibook is named "Quack"
and i also have a bluetooth apple mouse named "Danger Mouse"

i plan one day soon to get a 4g 20gb ipod (if they ever actually add the dock and remote like i was planning that they would a month ago but didnt, bastards) but not sure what to name him.
Maybe "Franz"

as for your family additions
suggestions of names you could use for your new Powerbook: "snooty bastard" (as it seems ibooks are looked down on sometimes by powerbook owners) "hotpants" or "the baron" (because they could burn your lap, and testicles, if your not careful) "AL-1333" or "AL-1.33" (like HAL-9000)
oh and if you name your ipod make some reference to having it because you own a mac and arent a yuppy like windows users who have ipods but still dish out slander on macs, the heathens

then again these are just some stupid ideas

stickman67
25th July 2004, 12:04 AM
If I told you what I call my old G3 I'd have to wash my mouse out with soap! :lol:

cmetom
25th July 2004, 12:33 AM
my iPod is called tomPod (yes yes, dredful creativity). my previous iPod also held this name.

my G3 PowerMac is called "g3-paloalto", named after the Xerox R&D labs where they invented the GUI, the mouse, Ethernet, etc. These labs were (are?) in Palo Alto, California.

my G4 iBook is called "g4-cupertino", named after the location of Apple HQ. Cupertino is also in California.
oh, my friend showed me "Speech" the other day and my iBook is called "HAL" for all speech-recognition related issues. :D

p996911turbo
25th July 2004, 12:49 AM
The 5500/250 is called "Darth". The Performa 580CD is "Stormtrooper". Mum's PC is less movie themed and is named "Mechtild" (I normally refer to it as 192.168.0.3). The Classic is called 8GF (derived from its 8Gflop/s speed ;) :P ) The two SE/30s I have were already named when I go them, can't remember what the first one is called but the other one is "Screen R/S" hehe. My iMac itself doesn't really have a name (apart from 192.168.0.2) but the HD partitions are called Eric, Anna, Fred, and Zoe. ;) :P

zefi
25th July 2004, 12:52 AM
My mac is named Zefiris.

It is taken from the name of a dragoon that appears in the anime series 'Scrapped Princess'. The dragoons of this universe are ancient weapons built by humans, their design was superceeded by another type of weapon that was designed to protect human beings. But in reality their cold logic is oppresive... anyway... this character mostly appears in the series as a very loyal and obedient little girl that is used to great effect to kill these monsters.

Mmm... that's the stroy behind the name.

Febs
25th July 2004, 12:56 AM
Ahh yes...my HDD partitions. Just been doing some DV work and it reminded me.

"The DV Depot" (raw DV, iMovie projects and iDVD projects)
"The Music Mart" (Mp3s)
"The Dish" (OS + general files)

"Tiny" (2.5" USB HDD...very small)
"The Backup Bank" (3.5" Firewire HDD used for backups)

Crambo
25th July 2004, 02:18 AM
I kid you not. Sexatron 69000.

http://www.users.on.net/~kynanr/Sexatron69000.jpg

MightyAtom
25th July 2004, 07:59 AM
Powermac "Thor"
14" iBook "Osiris"
12" Powerbook "Precious"
iMac "Snowy"

Sony-Ericsson T610 "Champy"

Radar
25th July 2004, 12:22 PM
iMac 350 = Lucy
Wallstreet PB = Sophie

I have no idea what I will call my iPod mini when it arrives, probably something to do with the color, eg. If it's pink, it will be called Floyd etc.

Currawong
25th July 2004, 12:57 PM
Various machines I had took on similar bird names to what I currently use online.

My main machine was usually "Currawong" or "Magpie".
Server or gateway or testing machine was "Wren" or "Lark".
Currently my Powerbook is "Gandalf" and the server is "Merlin".
The P4 games machine currently Magpie.

Things would get confusing in this regard, as the hard disks would be named the same as the computer, then sometimes ended up being switched to other machines.

kim jong il
25th July 2004, 01:41 PM
EDITED

After a hard drive failure........ and now, years later: kim jong il, kim il sung, osama bin laden and stalin. All madmen and are/were to be feared as killers (osama is a bit of an amateur in this group but he gets to stay).

They're current volume names. All names but kim jong il are temporary (the third machine is just 'untitled'), just an old naming convention of mine :blink:

kim

pipsqeek
25th July 2004, 02:01 PM
My iBook was appropriately named "Kaboom" and had Marvin The Martian as the icon.
Appropriately named? It went kaboom last week. Will call it something else resembling.....
"In Working Order"

My G4 450 Tower is named Powerpuff. Because its puffy, not a boxy shape. And its more powerful then it sounds. Especially when I upgrade the CPU.

Steve

purana
25th July 2004, 02:51 PM
My Powerbook is called "purana"
My Athlon is called "utopia", after my old linux router/gw from the last few years.
My wife's notebook is named "bindi" after one of our dogs.

Cam
25th July 2004, 03:39 PM
Names

Powerbook 15": Razor
Win2k3 Server: Oregon
Athlon64 3000+: One
iPod: Cam's iPod
External 120gb HD: Yet to be named...

Squozen
25th July 2004, 03:53 PM
My PowerBook: Gonzales (cos it's speedy)
My gaming PC: Bickle (after Travis Bickle, Taxi Driver)
My gateway/firewall: Loomis (Dr. Sam Loomis, the paranoid doctor from Halloween)
My mail server: Clavin (Cliff Clavin, the mailman from Cheers)
My iPod: Mini-Gonzales!

I had a music machine named Dupre (after the musician in Five Easy Pieces), but it sucked for music, being a PC, so it's been decommissioned. I had a DVD-playing box in the lounge called Lewis (Mark Lewis from Peeping Tom).

Maybe I put too much thought into my PC names :)

Febs
25th July 2004, 05:24 PM
Seeing as we're including servers...

Gateway/Firewall: "Yoink", as I "yoinked" it from work (with permission).
Web server: "Intarweb" ;)
Video surveillance machine: "Security" (yeah, heaps creative :))

Currawong
25th July 2004, 05:24 PM
I just had a thought that I should really name my server "747" because that's what the SCSI array sounds like - a 747.

Drek
26th July 2004, 02:06 AM
My setup had a desktop PC ("Balthasar"), a laptop ("Melchior"), and a Pocket PC ("Caspar")- the Three Wise Men (for Biblical types), or the Magi (for anime types.)

The palmtop took a short trip to a hard surface and the laptop is about to be superceded by a Powerbook, but don't tell it, it would hurt its feelings.

D

the_argon
26th July 2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Drek@Jul 26 2004, 01:36 AM
My setup had a desktop PC ("Balthasar"), a laptop ("Melchior"), and a Pocket PC ("Caspar")- the Three Wise Men (for Biblical types), or the Magi (for anime types.)
Nice one. (I'm an anime type.)

Mine are:
G4 - Hobbes
iMac - Calvin
6200 - Suzie

A mate of mine had a truckload of Hard disks he named them all after NGE characters Rei, Misato, Shiji, Kaji etc. :D

Edit: and the ipod was PenPen :D

DVD Plaza
26th July 2004, 01:29 PM
17" PowerBook - Enterprise
15" PowerBook - Galactica
DVD Plaza server - Anamorphic

Can't remember what I assigned to my phone, pocket pc, etc

Ozi
26th July 2004, 02:41 PM
fans of anime: http://www.applegeeks.com/

sorry about the off topicness of that! but its a great comic series.

Oh and my speakers are called "dogs" because their bark is worse than their bite! (they havent bitten me yet, but they bark a lot when i turn them up. :D)

Mr.Sparkle
26th July 2004, 03:18 PM
My eMac's name is "Mr.Whoopee." No real story behind the name...I just thought it was a cool name. And I have yet to name my G4.

baggss
26th July 2004, 03:33 PM
G4 Desktop: Margaritaville.
iBook: iBook (not very original I know).

matrixgeek
26th July 2004, 03:46 PM
My iBook - Zion ("access codes to the Zion Mainframe...")
My iPod (when I get it!) - Osiris (if I drop it it will be it's final flight...haha)
My current phone (changes often, have bad luck with phones) either Dozer or Mr Wizard
(anyone see a theme here???) :P
Mat

Ozi
26th July 2004, 07:49 PM
My iPod (when I get it!) - Osiris (if I drop it it will be it's final flight...haha) LMFAO! :lol: :D :) :lol:

Ah thats great. Gotta love the matrix.

My dads TiBook: Hugin.

kim jong il
27th July 2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Drek@Jul 26 2004, 02:06 AM

SNIPPED
SNAP?

1993 LC 475: melchior, 1994: balthazar (in the LC), 1998? power computing powercenter pro: Caspar. Then the drive failed.............. see earlier post

kim

EDIT: these names no longer in use

fompsweeva
27th July 2004, 03:35 PM
My 12" ibook is called "PARANOID" (That's the disks volume name, anyway)

When I talk about it i just refer to it as "iBook", but it's always referred to as a person.

"Should I bring ibook?"

Instead of

"Should I bring my ibook?"