PDA

View Full Version : Can removed important files with Monolingual be replaced with Time Machine back ups?

hasanito
14th June 2010, 03:45 AM
I've, being an inpatient id**t, removed some important language files while using monolingual (such as -English (American) -English (British) not realizing these are subset of -English), rather then read the faq first... now some programs are appearing in weird character formats.

Can I replace those files with my Time Machine back ups?
Which folder would I need to replace back with previous file?
Since I did this only late last night, I should be able to just replace a certain system file folder, without causing much headache, I'm hoping!

lord
14th June 2010, 11:02 AM
You should just be able to restore the whole application from the time machine backup. All the edits are from within xx.app.

hasanito
14th June 2010, 12:23 PM
You should just be able to restore the whole application from the time machine backup. All the edits are from within xx.app.

it's not the application(s) I'm trying to restore but the system language settings. Basically, after I used monolingual to delete English American and British, it deleted some of the English subset files too, which happens to be necessary.

I suppose I could restore the entire system files but wouldn't there be a specific folder with all the language settings?

lord
14th June 2010, 01:13 PM
it's not the application(s) I'm trying to restore but the system language settings. Basically, after I used monolingual to delete English American and British, it deleted some of the English subset files too, which happens to be necessary.

I suppose I could restore the entire system files but wouldn't there be a specific folder with all the language settings?

Ah! I thought you meant removing the language packs from specific applications (think xSlimmer).

I'm sure someone around here will know where they are located! Its something I've never had to play with before.

Currawong
14th June 2010, 03:03 PM
Does Monolingual have a log of what it removed?

hasanito
14th June 2010, 03:36 PM
Does Monolingual have a log of what it removed?

good point and checked it to see if there are any log files... but couldn't find any.

So far, I could only see wrong characters (Japanese I think) in Adium, iChat and Skype