PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Reinstall Macos?

jerrah
15th September 2005, 01:53 PM
Given the recent poll whereby Mac users were asked how long they kept their machines, I noticed that a large proportion of the users kept their machines for a very long time. Given that hard drives fail and I'm only a recent user of MacOS (habitual annual reinstaller of windows).

How often on average do you reinstall MacOS?

I've noticed most users which I support have never downloaded the point upgrades for MacOS, and are unaware that they are available to them.

iSlayer
15th September 2005, 01:58 PM
about every 2-3 months for me.
i Like to keep the system clean to get the best out of it.
Im dont think ive ever been forced to do a re-install yet though

purana
15th September 2005, 02:04 PM
I'd say about 6months to 12 months.

It's alot less frequent then that of say Windows :P

Bart Smastard
15th September 2005, 02:04 PM
I voted "Never (Still using the factory install)" but I've only had my Mac since June this year.

One of the main reasons for switching from Windows to Mac was to escape the regular OS reinstalls that Windows NEEDED to keep functioning "normally".

I will review the Mac's performance next June and decide then if I should reinstall (but I'm really hoping I won't have to).

I have installed all the upgrades though.

adamjc
15th September 2005, 02:06 PM
Is it very common for the hard drive to fail and what has the run been like on the new iMacs?

I have had mine since June, should I be re-installing the operating system anytime soon?

jerrah
15th September 2005, 02:12 PM
By hard drive fail, I don't mean a software fault, I mean a complete and utter hard drive failure where you need data recovery software and even then it might not be recoverable.

I thought the days were over where hard drives just died on whim but recently I've had a series of near new drives from different manufacturers dying in varied machines.

So I would think that this would teach me to make more backups - but it hasn't. ;)

If you're not having problems with your computer I wouldn't imagine you would need to reinstall macOS.

I am curious to where the mail.app stores its mail (so I can back that up) and various other app's like itunes. I suppose I could copy itunes music off the drive and reimport it again, but the mail.app will have a database file somewhere.

iSlayer
15th September 2005, 02:15 PM
Is it very common for the hard drive to fail and what has the run been like on the new iMacs?

I have had mine since June, should I be re-installing the operating system anytime soon?

nah.
There is no reason to re-install really.
I do it purely because i have a very loaded system with alot of apps and im generally running very 'heavy' apps such as dreamweaver,photoshop,xcode etc.
I want the best i can get for them and a re-install every few months works perfectly for me.
For general users i dont see the need though.
Best time to reinstall is when a new version of Mac OS X is released :)

Benah
15th September 2005, 02:18 PM
I'm a newish Mac user too, since Feb I guess. I've updated from 10.3 to 10.4 that was my only MAC OS X install change, but to be honest that really isn't a reinstall to clean up the system.

I think I am due for a reinstall, mainly because I was new to the OS I installed a LOT of applications mainly shareware which I've decided not to keep. And tried apps such as Virutal PC which seems too install a lot of crap all over the place. I guess a fresh install of Tiger would be nice.

Anyway my mac install is now 6 months old, never missed a beat. In the meantime I've had to rebuild my AMD 1800+ twice, and have ghosted a base XP install onto the 2nd partition so when it happens again the rebuild time is greatly reduced. *sigh*.

I hope that when Apple goes to Intel chips we see a version of VMWare release for Mac. (There's a version for Linux, I imagine it's just the CPU which stops VMWare from travelling down the Mac path.) This will allow me to run an OS X Virtual Machine where I can test new apps and allow that VM to get "dirty" before installing/updating the base OS.

Benah
15th September 2005, 02:22 PM
Jerah,

Look through your HD > Users > "username" > Library, you will track down the mail. (I think there's the core DB, and then each mail item is also written to your HDD so spotlight can "see" your email. I am unsure about this though.

Secondly use a program such as "What Size" to track down large folders, my mail takes up a bit of space because I keep it all. Using WhatSize I find it pretty quick because I just trace the big folders under my User Folder. (I hope i make sense)

Also I would imagine that Mail.app has an import/export feature, I don't have access to my mac ATM, but will look tonight.

Byrd
15th September 2005, 02:36 PM
About every six months here on my machines - there comes a time when I've installed so many .point updates and old programs that reinstalling the OS (and using the final combo updater, eg. 10.3.9 or 10.4.2 at present) makes the system noticably faster and more responsive - and gives back heaps more disk space. I usually format the boot disk and backup everything onto an external drive (twice).

It doesn't take long to do - about one hour - in contrast my XP machine takes 3 hours+ to install and configure everything as I like it.

JB

purana
15th September 2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Benah@Sep 15 2005, 02:18 PM
I hope that when Apple goes to Intel chips we see a version of VMWare release for Mac. (There's a version for Linux, I imagine it's just the CPU which stops VMWare from travelling down the Mac path.) This will allow me to run an OS X Virtual Machine where I can test new apps and allow that VM to get "dirty" before installing/updating the base OS.
I agree, a mate and I are hoping the same thing. We hope they make a vmware client for GSX that runs on OSX, not mention release a version of vmware workstation for the platform.

If this happens, who knows. I guess I should start telling people in the company who are vmware associated. Although we have no vmware employees in my branch or offices. :(

soulman
15th September 2005, 04:21 PM
I used to reinstall MacOS regularly - every 6 months or so - but have rarely found the need to reinstall X. I installed a (legitimate) pre-release version of which I kept updating (got to 10.2.x) until I got another machine. Current machine went from 10.2.6 to 10.3.5 before I changed disks.

I've reinstalled X because I thought it would improve things but haven't found it to have the same fresh-install-snappiness that the old MacOS did. This may be because my hardware (G4 1.25DP) is fast enough for it not to be noticeable or it may be due to the OS. Or both.

sikosis
15th September 2005, 04:38 PM
I voted Never ... but it's not the factory install. Within 3 days of owning my Mac, I managed to nuke the OS by installing some app. So, I had to reinstall from scratch and no problems since.

Mark T
15th September 2005, 05:54 PM
I was going to vote "never" but chose "when I'm bored" instead.

And I sure wish I would get bored one day so I could sit down and re-install my OS. :angry:

(sometimes, i'ts humbling just to see how the other half lives)

Rayd
15th September 2005, 06:00 PM
ive never re-installed the OS on my quicksilver :D never had to, still running great after 4 years :D

tranp
15th September 2005, 06:59 PM
Besides an update to 10.4 from 10.3.9, never. I attempted to format my old hard drive after it had started to feel sick but then it got worse and could never install the OS properly so I got it replaced.

LCGuy
23rd September 2005, 01:30 AM
I only reinstall whenever i need to. If Panther didn't almost kill my iMac at the end of last year i'd still be running the very first OS X install that i installed on my iMac in 2002.