PDA

View Full Version : Disk Permissions

dholms
12th June 2010, 10:14 PM
Hey there,

Quick one...

Should I be worried about permissions that cannot be repaired?

I have a photo of what comes up when I repair disk permissions and which ones cannot be repaired.

Picasa Web Albums - dholms (http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/b-8GDHxwfCvQYRBUolf-gA?feat=directlink)

If this is not a good thing, how do you go about fixing these?

Cheers,

D

gehenna
12th June 2010, 10:45 PM
Don't worry about permissions. Let OS X manage itself and everything will be fine.

dholms
12th June 2010, 11:12 PM
Cool, no worries then. Haha just had a kernel panic and was told by my Mac to hold the power button down to power the machine off.

I believe it was due to my iPod Shuffle having some issue. The iPod keeps mounting then dismounting while I scroll through my iTunes media.... I should only be concerned about this if it re-occurs, correct?

gehenna
12th June 2010, 11:21 PM
In my experience it's usually hardware that causes a kernel panic, though not always.

Rant
13th June 2010, 12:38 AM
If you still have problems, or anyone else reading this has permissions problems, you might try another permissions trick.

I had tonnes of permissions warnings. I checked, and Apple's tech note was that this wasn't anything to worry about.

I had major problems just doing a simple file copy. Many files came back with "You don't have permission", even though I was Admin. I tried logging in as Root, even did the repair permissions as Root. Still no joy, most especially if I logged back in as Admin.

I then went through folders and files, finding many, many files that wouldn't copy.

What finally worked was

doing a Get Info on the top level folder (in some cases, a disk's icon)
clicking the unlock (if necessary).
using the Cog at the bottom of Get Info to apply permissions to everything under this

No need for Root access, just the Admin login, and that cured the 'nothing to worry about' permissions errors and the file copy problem.

vecsty
13th June 2010, 10:21 AM
doing a Get Info on the top level folder (in some cases, a disk's icon)
clicking the unlock (if necessary).
using the Cog at the bottom of Get Info to apply permissions to everything under this

No need for Root access, just the Admin login, and that cured the 'nothing to worry about' permissions errors and the file copy problem.

I would NOT recommend doing this to the root level.
Repairing permissions using Disk Utility not the same as modifying the permissions on a volume and applying that to the enclosed items.

Rant
13th June 2010, 01:24 PM
I would NOT recommend doing this to the root level.
Repairing permissions using Disk Utility not the same as modifying the permissions on a volume and applying that to the enclosed items.

Fact is, Disk Utility doesn't repair permissions for User files at all. If you have permissions problems with user data, Disk Utility won't help and you need to get creative, like I did & not assume anything.

Funny thing is that I did not modify permissions, I just applied the permissions from the top level to everything underneath it, which is what you'd expect to be the situation, especially for a data-only volume formatted by the Admin of the same computer.

I also had a situation of being told I didn't have permission to copy various files from my user folders. I trust that's a VERY rare occurrence, but if you're having permissions problems, Disk Utility cannot fix them.

Root is to be avoided if at all possible. I included that info to show that Disk Utility at the highest possible access level, would not fix the problems and still reported permissions it could not fix even for 'system' files, much less user files. (Yes, I had problems with 'system' including apps permissions too, but I left that out of the discussion.)

User file permissions. You're on your own. Disk Utility can't help.