PDA

View Full Version : FW400 PCI Card

PhilA
24th July 2004, 08:26 PM
:blink:

Maybe someone can help with advice on which FireWire 400 PCI card I can get for my Dual 1GHz G4. I tried the Sonnet card a while back but unfortunately it would not allow the computer to go into Sleep mode. Very annoying having the fan running all the time.

I'm after a card with at least 3 powered connections that is not going to interfere with the operation of my machine - not too hard an ask I would have thought.

Byrd
28th July 2004, 11:55 AM
Hi PhilA, welcome to the forums :)

Have you tried updating the Sonnet's firewire drivers from their site (http://www.sonnettech.com/downloads/adapter_sw.html#deepsleep), and is the firmware of your Dual G4 the latest?

Definately update to 10.3.4!

If nothing like this helps, any OHCI compliant PCI Firewire 400 card will work in your machine - even cheapies from your local PC store or a swap meet.

JB

PhilA
28th July 2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks bYrd,

Actually I made a mistake in that it was a LaCie PCI card I tried before, not Sonnet.

From what I understand there are occasional problems with at least the LaCie cards (they knew of the problem but weren't able offer a fix) and possibly others as well. Also not all cards are able to supply the full 12v power to the connection.

I'd like to buy the Sonnet Allegro FW400 card but the Oz importers don't bring that cheap model in, only the much more expensive FW400/USB2 card. :-(

I'm on 10.3.4 and neither the LaCie or Sonnet cards use drivers under 10.3.x

Byrd
28th July 2004, 12:43 PM
Tried switching the card to another PCI slot? Eg. the topmost card nearest the AGP slot is usually given higher priority; or if it is try it lower down the chain.

JB

PhilA
31st July 2004, 06:01 PM
Yes tried it in several slots. :blink: