PDA

View Full Version : iCal & timezone shifting

avolve
12th June 2010, 02:58 PM
I have travelled quite a bit over the last several years and somehow not had this issue before. When I changed to timezone in my date and time preferences, all of my events shifted to a different time (i.e. taking into account the time shift and converting to the equivalent time zone here).

From what I have read, I could hack a back-up of my iCal entries (global replace for each of my 16 individual calendars —one at a time) to change my time zone to floating (remove the TZID for events). I would then need to do this for every subsequent entry as well (set as floating, as floating cannot be set as default?).

It seems that time zone support in iCal is ideal for those who work across time zones, yet far from ideal for those who travel. As in, you can set events with a specific time zone so you can keep track. Yet if you set events with a common time (i.e. 8am = 8am wherever you are), this will be changed based on time zone.

I have years of event set at specific days/times that I want to stay at those days/times —*irrespective of whichever time zone I am in. Why can I not disable time zone support in iCal and have all events not converted when I change time zones in date & time preferences???

Anyone have a solution to this?

avolve
16th June 2010, 03:12 AM
Has no one had these issues?

Back2Bedlam
16th June 2010, 05:15 AM
Yes, I've had them, but found that once your clock updates, all is good.

I wish I could figure out, that when I'm in France, and hook up to wifi, why oh why, does Google always go to Google.fr and won't stay with an english version. I can't read the feckin thing. ;)

DJY
16th June 2010, 09:56 AM
I travel extensively as well and have never had this issue - until last month when I was in the USA. I usually leave my laptop on the same time zone - but with 2 x iPhones and an iPad now - i have iCal entries that are all wrong.

Similarly, in iCal some entries now have Aust Eastern as the time zone.
I suspect it was as my iPhones are set to automatically update time zones, and then when i sync them I suspect i have problems. I manually have changed appointment times in iCal but am still looking into this one.

avolve
16th June 2010, 10:12 AM
Yes, I've had them, but found that once your clock updates, all is good.

I am not sure I follow. If I disable time zone support, all events in my Calendar shift in relation to the current time zone (Pacific Time). If I change my time zone back to Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), they shift back.

If i enable time zone support, all of my events are AEST. If I select AESD that from the top right of the iCal window, they all sit nicely at the time and date they were. If i change to Pacific Time, they shift around as above.

I see that the only option is to have everything in the same time zone (AEST) with time zone support enabled, irrespective of where I am. This is far from perfect...