PDA

View Full Version : Mac Plus

Oldmacs
11th June 2010, 07:11 PM
Hi
Is it normal for a mac plus to make crackly pop noises?
I got my mac Plus out and put a new Battery in and instead of tripping the circuit brakers it loaded to the flashing floppy sign, But there were some Crakly pop noises from inside it but besides that nothing else happened.

Brains
11th June 2010, 09:09 PM
No, that means the high tension electricals are short circuiting. Sadly, when they start doing that, the only place they belong is in the scrap-head as they are a serious safety hazard.

cosmichobo
11th June 2010, 09:32 PM
Not worth trying to salvage the floppy?

iMic
11th June 2010, 09:49 PM
Everything in it should be salvageable sans the Analog Board, easily identifiable as the large, vertically mounted board with the power connector on it. Even if you could find one of those (or get the existing one repaired?), the Mac Plus should work again. Otherwise the other parts can definitely be reused in another machine.

Being a relatively old board with fairly simple electronics, I would say it's no surprise it's acting up, but there's also a good chance an electronics shop could repair it if you chose to take that path.

In its current state, I wouldn't run the machine. Crackling or Popping noises are certainly an issue with the high voltage electronics and as such are quite dangerous to run. In addition though it could cause damage to the rest of the system, so it's best to avoid powering it up until they're either swapped out or fixed. In the case of a Mac Plus, you may choose to find another machine and keep this one for spares.

Oldmacs
12th June 2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the help,
Thanks for telling me about the noises, I was going to get it out today as I just got a new Pram Battery and the other week when I turned it on after putting the battery in (When it made the noises) and it seemed to work fine, the picture was normal, the only thing was that I don't have a bootable disk ,Which was what my project was to make this weekend.I seem to have bad luck with mac pluses my other one has serious problems.
I read somewhere else that the crackly noises is just the crt adjusting and getting rid of moisture after being put away a long time could this be true?

cosmichobo
12th June 2010, 09:35 AM
Nearly inspiring me to see if my Plus still starts/if my Plus's ext hdd will start/still has readable files/System on it... :)

iMic
13th June 2010, 01:19 AM
I read somewhere else that the crackly noises is just the crt adjusting and getting rid of moisture after being put away a long time could this be true?

Personally I haven't heard that from my Macintosh 512Ke. If it just sounded like static from the front of the CRT, then it may not be so bad and the machine could work just fine. On the other hand any remotely loud crackling from inside the machine, especially if it's from the top-left vent (facing the front of the machine) could indicate serious problems. If it has previously tripped the circuit breakers, then I would suspect a circuit issue. If it hasn't, then it's hard to tell.

Oldmacs
13th June 2010, 10:24 AM
Hi,
The Noise was not too loud and it seemed to come from the middle of the computer, Both my Mac Pluses have tripped the circuit brakers, but then I Replaced the pram Batteries and they didn't, the one that made crackly noises just loaded to the normal flashing floppy and the other one showed zig zags and checkers.