PDA

View Full Version : The end of multiple GB data allowances?

coranda
11th June 2010, 02:12 PM
I just read that O2 in the UK are scrapping their unlimited data plans as of the iPhone 4 release. It appears that low cost plans will get 500MB and the expensive plans will max out at 1 GB before additional data charges kick in.

Their rationale is that as user numbers go up the network clogs, but only due to a minority of heavy users. They claim that most users are well below 500MB but that 3% of users are swallowing 36% of their capacity.

I wonder if that's ever going to become an issue here?

Vzzzbx
11th June 2010, 02:42 PM
Nah. We don't have unlimited plans now, and requirements (and network capacity) are only growing, so if anything the allowances will only increase.

The only discernible difference would be Optus taking the 'unlimited' label off its unlimited plans which are not unlimited anyway.

NeoRicen
11th June 2010, 03:16 PM
No, we're going in the opposite direction, the US and UK are just finding out they can't take Unlimited data at the moment. They're dropping down to low numbers now but will continue to go up again over time, just like we are.

Anyway their rationale is completely valid, I don't see anything wrong with it.

coranda
11th June 2010, 09:35 PM
The UK networks are also expanding but it's a question of investment versus return. What I think is interesting about the O2 announcement is the claim that 3% of users are consuming 36% of bandwidth. When that occurs that 3% can't ultimately expect to escape extra data charges.

I just wonder what the balance is here.

On my iPhone I have 250MB per month but I think the most I have ever used is 68MB.