PDA

View Full Version : iPad ePub problem!

VSAGB
11th June 2010, 12:55 AM
Hi Guys,

I turn to you for help on my little situation.

Basically my boss wants to be on top of technology and askes that i find out the way to do the following.

convert pdf to epub
put this ipub on our website
human with ipad clicks on epub file and it opens up like a page flicking ibook.

dont know if you got this
i've literally searched videos, mac help center.

maybe i dont make myself clear. this is totally melting my brain ^_^

so any help is apreciated hehehe

macrich
11th June 2010, 05:21 AM
Here is a quick run down to convert your PDF to epub properly.
1. Take your PDF file and run it through an OCR program like Omnipage Pro.
2. Export the Proofread version to a word document. Fix any remaining errors.
3. Save your word document, open InDesign CS5. Setup a document.
4. Add a second master to your Indesign document (just one page will do)
5. Go to File/Place in InDesign and place your word document while holding down the shift key (this will start the autoflow).
6. Remove all Formatting from the document and setup your character and paragraph Rules for the document in InDesign. Apply those rules to the text to format the document.
(Don't forget to remove all headers and footers including page numbers from the document).
7. If your PDF contains tables, you will have to extract them in Photoshop and anchor these images to the appropriate paragraphs in InDesign (epub doesn't support tables natively).
8. Setup your Table of Contents on the first master in InDesign.
9. Go to File/Export/Epub
10. Make sure that your images are exported at the best resolution and JPEG
11. Set it in the options to export with a TOC
12. Click done

You will be prompted to name your epub file and it will be all done. Drag your epub file to iTunes and sync to your iPad and check for any problems. Don't remove your InDesign file or image files until you are sure that you have the entire thing set out properly and the way you and your boss want it.

Hope that helped.

titan44
11th June 2010, 08:39 AM
Take a look at ecub, it's not a 400 pound gorilla like indesign, I find it a lot quicker to build epubs with.

And before you OCR the PDF open it in preview and see if it's text selectable, if it is just select all and copy/paste into a new TextEdit doc, it'll save a bit of time

d_mini
11th June 2010, 11:32 AM
I've been using Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). Free and pretty easy to use.
D.

kyte
12th June 2010, 08:21 AM
convert pdf to epub

This has been well explained, BUT

put this ipub on our website
human with ipad clicks on epub file and it opens up like a page flicking ibook.

As far as I know this is not possible.

If boss wants human with ipad to have the epub, they will have to download it, drag it into their itunes and sync with ipad to get it into ibooks.

humans without ipads will have to use a different reader. Well, humans without ipads could just use the pdf.

Come to think of it, humans *with* ipads could just use the pdf. Not sure if those are readable online though, or if they would have to be downloaded.

Now someone can come along and tell me I'm wrong. It usually happens :)

macrich
12th June 2010, 11:11 AM
Humans without iPad can open an epub using Adobe Digital Editions (it's free).

As for ecub and others like it. Converting a PDF to an epub will work on those types of software, but if it contains anything like graphics, tables or headers and footers, they usually screw up the conversion.
The safer bet, and the more professional way is by using InDesign.

Sure it's slower, sure it's more expensive software wise, but it does give a completely professional finish to an epub book.

SimplyBea
12th June 2010, 11:36 AM
I've been using Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). Free and pretty easy to use.
D.

Hi D
Please forgive my ignorance.... I have lots of tutorials which have been downloaded as PDFs and my hope was that when my iPad arrives, I will be able to load them on to my iPad from the iMac and 'flick' the pages as I go through them.
I have watched the demo on the calibre site but am still not sure if it is an easy enough process for a non techno user like me???

tia

bigg
12th June 2010, 12:22 PM
The new release of ibooks (in a week or two) will support PDF's.

It was shown with the WWDC keynote and iTunes 9.2 beta puts
PDF files into your book section. You just can not sync it yet

kyte
13th June 2010, 05:33 PM
One of the points the OP made was that his (or her) boss wants it viewable online. Can that be done with the Adobe Reader browser plugin?

However, I'm reading that the boss wants it looking like its in ibooks and I can't see how that can be done, straight up.

macrich
14th June 2010, 07:44 AM
Digital Editions is a free download software from Adobe. Kind of like Acrobat Reader.
You can't view an epub file through a browser as yet. Maybe someday, it may become a possibility.

Digital Editions will display the epub file as an ebook kind of like the iPad, but not exactly like the iPad. After all a computer is not an iPad. Every ebook reader displays epub files in a different manner depending on the capabilities of each ebook reader.

This is the reason that an epub is just a free flowing text document with little to no formatting. The least amount of formatting done to the document, the more cross platform compatible the epub becomes.

My recommendation, is to leave it in PDF format. Since the iPad can now* view PDF like an epub, there is no real need to convert it to epub, unless you want to do a real bang up professional job and offer it for sale on the iBookstore.

*By now I mean, as soon as the iPad gets the IOS4 update

iTrooper
14th June 2010, 03:50 PM
Thank God for the new iBooks, so many PDF files I have that I'd like to be able read a bit easier with.

Been using Bookman myself, seems pretty decent for a freebie app.