PDA

View Full Version : Safari 5 Kills your ADSL CONNECTION?

NORMANDY
10th June 2010, 12:40 PM
It seem many people around the world are reporting that Safari 5 kills their internet connection.

It seems to be related around if you have set your PRIMARY AND SECONDARY DNS settings, IF THEY ARE set to auto or blank then it dies... if you manually set them then all is fine.

klif
10th June 2010, 01:04 PM
Why would you manually set them, most people I'd imagine would like me have their DNS servers set via DHCP.

I'm using Safari 5 now, and have been since it's release at home and work with no issues whatsoever.

shiny
10th June 2010, 01:05 PM
Hmmm this may explain my sudden drop outs, will check my settings tonight.

NORMANDY
10th June 2010, 01:08 PM
Why would you manually set them, most people I'd imagine would like me have their DNS servers set via DHCP.

I'm using Safari 5 now, and have been since it's release at home and work with no issues whatsoever.

you may not... but many around the world are... and thats the fix...

its also related to certain types of modems.. see this Apple - Support - Discussions - Safari 5 crashing/killing my DSL ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2454885&tstart=0&start=15)

Seakip
10th June 2010, 08:40 PM
YES. Happens to me.

amstrad_mac
10th June 2010, 09:53 PM
Whoa... hang on.. i've been getting drop outs on my NB6 modem after installing Safari 5..

I've pulled out my NB5 modem and it's super fast than my NB6 no drop outs.. what the?

*edit - just to confirm - Manually putting your DNS address into the modem fixes the problem (so far anyway)

drzeus
10th June 2010, 09:59 PM
Damn had this happen to me last night....internet was inaccessible. Then I restarted my Airport Extreme and bang I was back online.

angusg
10th June 2010, 09:59 PM
Ah awesome!!! Was wondering why everything was so slow.. iTunes store downloads are normally bleeding fast at home (I'm on iiNet) but since installing Safari it's been frustratingly slow.

antzzz
11th June 2010, 01:12 AM
AHHH! Thank god! and thought it was my Bigpond modem or Airport that was screwed!!!

I couldn't load anything, it just hung!

To be honest, I'll open Safari and load up about 6 tabs at a time - but it would just hang and hang and hang... I ended up using Chrome which worked ok - but in the end I was just so fkd in the head I restarted into Boot Camp with Windows 7!! Now thats desperation!

auspad
11th June 2010, 01:42 AM
no problems for me yet.

i have missed you loading bar!!;)

Steve_D
15th June 2010, 10:16 AM
It seem many people around the world are reporting that Safari 5 kills their internet connection.

It seems to be related around if you have set your PRIMARY AND SECONDARY DNS settings, IF THEY ARE set to auto or blank then it dies... if you manually set them then all is fine.

Yeah this is the issue. Its due to the DNS pre fetch in the safari 5 browser.

Simple solution like Normandy says is to put your ISPs manual DNS settings in your browser. Unless you change ISPs every few weeks then this wont be a huge issue as it probably should have been done when you first set up your modem.

Go to here DNS Servers - Australia - What's My DNS? (http://www.whatsmydns.net/dns/australia/) to find your ISPs DNS settings.

Even when they patch the issue, this fix will only benefit your connection being that it should make the prefetching even faster. :) win!

There is also a few threads floating around the internet stating that a part of the issue was due to RSS feeds and having to delete the database.sqlite3 file but if you dont use RSS feeds then this isnt an issue. Just set them to off in your safari settings.

Balthazar
15th June 2010, 12:03 PM

OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/)

Goggle Public DNS (http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/)

and many more...

Steve_D
15th June 2010, 12:09 PM

And its more than likely that your work has their DNS listings put into their modem properly by the IT department or your ISP and unless you set up your modem manually its probably installed by your ISP already too.

This is why some people are having issues and some are not.

Lockley
15th June 2010, 01:06 PM
no problems for me yet.

i have missed you loading bar!!;)

Me too, Im so glad its back!