PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a Blueberry iBook to 10.3.9

iTrooper
9th June 2010, 09:33 AM
I got an old Blueberry iBook from a coworker, he was wondering if there is anything we can do with this piece of Mac history.

It's currently running Mac 9.0.4, but from research, it should be capable of maxing out at 10.3.9.

The question is, where could I find a copy of the disc images/restore disc for this classic iBook?

Byrd
9th June 2010, 10:00 AM
Make sure you update the firmware on the iBook before installing OS X - it should be 4.1.9 from memory.

OS X 10.3 is available easily enough on eBay etc (go the retail version, not the machine-specific installs - they don't work), and you can update to 10.3.9 using software update.

JB

iTrooper
9th June 2010, 12:43 PM
What's the best way to find out what firmware it's running?

OS 9.0.4 is such a different beast.

Byrd
9th June 2010, 12:51 PM
That'd be going to the Apple menu --> Apple System Profiler, think it's at the bottom of the first tab. You then need to get the firmware from here:

iBook Firmware Update 4.1.7 Information and Software (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75128)

JB

LCGuy
9th June 2010, 01:04 PM
Another thing you have to consider is - how much RAM does the machine have, and how big a hard drive? These machines shipped from the factory with 32MB of RAM, and a 3GB hard drive, neither of which is anywhere near enough for OS X. That 32MB of RAM is soldered to the logic board, and there is one slot, ideally you'd want a 256MB PC100 (or PC133) SO-DIMM to bump that up to 288MB, and at least a 20GB HDD (at the very minimum) Just be aware however that while the RAM upgrade can be done by a novice, and only takes a couple of minutes if that, the hard drive upgrade is the complete opposite, the entire machine has to come right apart, definitely not for the faint-hearted.

iTrooper
9th June 2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah, this old dog is from what I can tell the higher end model. Has a 6 gig drive and 64megs of ram (WOW!!! Impressive! hehe)

The way things are looking, I really doubt we can do very much with it.

I think I found what might be the firmware description. It says "Mac OS ROM file version: 3.7"