PDA

View Full Version : Spaces: effective use

audax2
8th June 2010, 09:14 PM
I recently started using Spaces, with each window dedicated to one application.

I ran into problems when I wanted to refer to data in an Excel spreadsheet (Space 9), while writing a letter in Word (Space 3). I couldn't find any way to have both the Word and the Excel documents both open at the same time. I had a similar problem when I needed to see a Safari window and a Mail window at the same time.

I know that one way around this is to have two applications allocated the same space, e.g. Word and Excel, but this rather defeats the purpose of Spaces in reducing clutter, and it doesn't allow for other unforeseen combinations of applications where you might want to see a window of both applications open at the same time.

bartron
8th June 2010, 09:29 PM
Set up a hotkey to change spaces
Click and hold the application titlebar
Switch to the space with the other application
Do what you need to do
Drag the application back to it's own space

Some applications are better 'spaces' aware than others. If it's just dragging and dropping content around you should be able to hotkey your way around different spaces to do so.

NeoRicen
8th June 2010, 09:38 PM
You can also set a key or hot corner to 'Activate' spaces, which shows all your spaces. Then just drag one app into the space you want, then when you're done, activate spaces again and drag it back.

For me, I use the bottom left corner to activate spaces. If I have Mail in Space 2 and Safari in Space 1 and I want to view them side by side I just whip the mouse into the bottom left corner, drag the Safari window into Space 2, release, and then click to enter that space. When I'm done, the mouse goes back into the corner, I drag Safari back, then click into Space 2.

Tip: Expose works when viewing all spaces, so if the app you want to drag across isn't the frontmost app, activate expose, then grab it.

koinonas
8th June 2010, 09:41 PM
Spaces is one of those things that can do your head in. It's either incredibly productive or an incredible waste of time and source of frustration.

Personally, I love spaces. It's taken a while to find an efficient way of working, (which is still evolving), but I'm now at a stage where I actually find it very restrictive not to have.

I don't actually have any apps assigned to individual spaces. Rather I have individual spaces assigned to different activities. And I just jump between the spaces and move apps and windows between spaces according to what I'm doing.

For example I will often have all my calendering and communications in one space (iCal and email), general web surfing in another space, and "work" in another.

So for example I might be just checking out stuff on the web in space 2, when I hear an email come in. So I jump to space 1. I find that I've got an email containing some documents that I might need to present at an upcoming event. I then check iCal in the same space to confirm details and timing etc, before I double click on the word attachments to open to open it up. I check that its consistent with the email, before dragging it into space 2 so I can easily see and transfer information from the word document into the Keynote presentation which I'm working on.

So the way I use spaces is activity based, and the apps move between the spaces, rather than being application based and having my activities jump between spaces. As I've said, my process is still evolving, but I've found this to to be the best so far. Everyone works a different way, so just experiment until you find the way the works best for you

iPirate
8th June 2010, 10:26 PM
I only have iChat/Adium/Skype/Transmission allocated to Space 1, and iTunes to Space 7 or 3 (depending on how I feel about grid size). Everything else goes wherever I open it.

Of course now my 1st space has 6 contact lists and one torrent list reaching in total across 1920 pixels but that's the price of tidyness.

banjo
9th June 2010, 07:52 PM
If you have the shortcuts set up to be Ctrl+# of your space, you can click and hold on the title bar of a window then press, for example, Ctrl+1, to move that window to space #1. When you're done, you can move it back to its original space the same way.

Jaste
1st January 2011, 05:04 PM
Why we are talking about spaces, is there a way to set desktop icons or dock icons to only appear in one space? ie I'd like to have my Meta X and Handbrake icons in Space 2 where I use them but not appear in the other spaces. I'm trying to cut down on the clutter in my Dock and on my desktop.

snark
1st January 2011, 06:11 PM
...is there a way to set desktop icons or dock icons to only appear in one space?
Unfortunately not as part of OS X, but a quick search shows that someone has written an app to do this: Download Dock Spaces for Mac - Have 10 different docks and swap them from the menubar. MacUpdate.com (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27841/dock-spaces)

Jaste
1st January 2011, 09:31 PM
Unfortunately not as part of OS X, but a quick search shows that someone has written an app to do this: Download Dock Spaces for Mac - Have 10 different docks and swap them from the menubar. MacUpdate.com (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27841/dock-spaces)

Thanks. I am already running Hyperspaces so I don't really want to add another program if I can help it. I will check it out though. Maybe Hyperspaces will go instead :crazy:

Marcsteel
7th January 2011, 04:50 PM
I love spaces and like some here have hot corners that do things for spaces and expose. I' currently fiddling with my magic mouse to see if I can create some gestures that may do the same things. Anyone else tried that?

Cybix
7th January 2011, 05:23 PM
You can also set a key or hot corner to 'Activate' spaces, which shows all your spaces. Then just drag one app into the space you want, then when you're done, activate spaces again and drag it back.

For me, I use the bottom left corner to activate spaces. If I have Mail in Space 2 and Safari in Space 1 and I want to view them side by side I just whip the mouse into the bottom left corner, drag the Safari window into Space 2, release, and then click to enter that space. When I'm done, the mouse goes back into the corner, I drag Safari back, then click into Space 2.

Tip: Expose works when viewing all spaces, so if the app you want to drag across isn't the frontmost app, activate expose, then grab it.

Whoa! I do this exact same thing, including mail in space 2 and safari in space 1! except my hot corner is top left :)

I am very very productive with spaces. I use six spaces. All web in space 1' mail in space 2, ilife apps inc iTunes in space 3, finder windows in space 4' space 5 random, space 6 all IM clients. It rocks on hot corner setup...

landog
7th January 2011, 05:43 PM
i would love to see an article on how to use spaces. I have NFI how / why / when i would use it and what its for but I love the idea of moving stuff into their own "space". Like my virtual machine with office apps on one space, my im/skype/twitter on another, browsing on another ?

is that how one would use it?

hey MT blog thingo, do a tutorial!

snark
7th January 2011, 06:44 PM
This is how I use Spaces. I have 4 spaces set up: 1 for general OS X stuff (Mail, Finder, browsing, etc.), 2 for Pixelmator (lots of palettes), 3 for VMware, 4 for Citrix and Remote Desktops.

Basically, anything that I like to run full screen gets its own Space.

dekco
7th January 2011, 07:30 PM
i have all my main screens in one space. primary email and ical in another, secondary email in a third space, and all non important misc stuff can go in another space. bearing in mind; i am running a dual display, so effectively, i can have "two" screens to handle my apps. makes computing a breeze really.

landog
7th January 2011, 09:10 PM
and whats the best way to move between the spaces?

actually whats the logic / idea behind spaces. I gather there is some issue moving info / data / clipboard between spaces?

snark
7th January 2011, 09:15 PM
and whats the best way to move between the spaces?

actually whats the logic / idea behind spaces. I gather there is some issue moving info / data / clipboard between spaces?
I suppose the idea is to reduce window clutter.

I have set up both hotkeys (Ctrl-1 thru Ctrl-4) and a corner in Expose, and use one or the other depending on whether my fingers are on the keyboard or the trackpad at the time.

The clipboard is common across all Spaces, so no issue there. You can also drag an app window from one space to another if you need to. I've never had a problem moving info / data between space, but that may just be the apps I use.

Jaste
7th January 2011, 10:42 PM
I suppose the idea is to reduce window clutter.

I have set up both hotkeys (Ctrl-1 thru Ctrl-4) and a corner in Expose, and use one or the other depending on whether my fingers are on the keyboard or the trackpad at the time.

The clipboard is common across all Spaces, so no issue there. You can also drag an app window from one space to another if you need to. I've never had a problem moving info / data between space, but that may just be the apps I use.

I do the same. I am also running hyperspaces so I can click on the icon and it gives me a grid view of all my spaces so I can click on the one I want. It also allows you to name your space. I run 6, Main (browser, pathfinder etc), media, games, mail and messages (and BusyCal), newsgroups and virtualisation.

landog
10th January 2011, 08:37 AM
So i have set up spaces / dloaded and installed hyperspaces and have a couple of config questions:

1. what hot keys do you guys use out of interest. i.e. what do you have bound to bring up hyperspaces and then cycle through the spaces, or indeed just move from space to space?

2. I would like space 1 to be my windows parallel partition, in full screen. what app do I allocate to the space and how do i cycle to other spaces when the VM is in full screen?

landog
10th January 2011, 08:39 AM
This is how I use Spaces. I have 4 spaces set up: 1 for general OS X stuff (Mail, Finder, browsing, etc.), 2 for Pixelmator (lots of palettes), 3 for VMware, 4 for Citrix and Remote Desktops.

Basically, anything that I like to run full screen gets its own Space.

how do you cycle through these spaces when they are in full screen, i.e. hot keys dont apply?

what app should i allocate for parallels to have its own space for my windows vm - parallels or the vpm?

cheers

snark
10th January 2011, 04:33 PM
how do you cycle through these spaces when they are in full screen, i.e. hot keys dont apply?

Exactly what I said in my previous post. Hot keys do apply. I can press Ctrl-1 while in my Windows VM, and it will zip me back to my primary OS X screen.
I've also set a hot corner in Expose, which my VM honours.

what app should i allocate for parallels to have its own space for my windows vm - parallels or the vpm?
Go into System Preferences > Expose & Spaces, and click on the Spaces tab. In the area labelled 'Application Assignments', you can add an application (eg. Parallels), and then choose which space it should live in.
Below that, you can set your hotkeys to switch directly to a space - using Command, Control, or Option.

<edit> I'v never used Hyperspaces, so I have no idea whether it will interfere or get in the way of OS X native Spaces.

landog
19th January 2011, 06:47 PM
guys I have a small problem. All apps respect the space I assign, except the new twitter app. after a reboot I have to unassign and reassign the twitter app else it applies to all spaces, even though when I look at preferences its assigned to space 3 only.

Why?

tonyarnold
22nd January 2011, 01:38 PM
<edit> I'v never used Hyperspaces, so I have no idea whether it will interfere or get in the way of OS X native Spaces.

It won't. Hyperspaces sits on top of Apple's Spaces - the only place you might find a conflict will be with setting keyboard shortcuts, but it should warn you about conflicts.