PDA

View Full Version : Magic Trackpad Revealed

NeoRicen
7th June 2010, 06:27 PM
Remember this (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2009/10/19/tomorrow), and this (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/26/apple-files-trademark-application-for-magic-trackpad/)?

Yeah, well, it turns out it's real and coming out very soon.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/magictrack1.jpghttp://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/magictrack3big.jpg

Full Story on Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/apples-magic-trackpad-revealed/).

jack112006
7th June 2010, 06:31 PM
Wow. Nice. A version the sheet of an A4 sheet of paper would be pretty awesome.

Apoptosis
7th June 2010, 06:33 PM
What. The. Fuck.

As retarded as the idea originally seems to me. I kinda think I'd use one... Normal mice just feel 'wrong' on OS X to me so if it operates like the built in trackpad i'd hit it!

Also - there better be a stylus option for this!

jack112006
7th June 2010, 06:41 PM
Just had a mega brainwave - this would be the perfect method for controlling a new Apple TV. A remote or keyboard is too fixed and you can't really use a mouse in your lap. This would be perfect for the TV situation.

mattcooper
7th June 2010, 06:42 PM
wow... touch base input to use apps on the mac maybe>?

ts10
7th June 2010, 06:42 PM
Wow. Would be sweet if you could use this similar to a Wacom tablet (with finger and pen).

Crazy stuff...not what I expected.

yagankiely
7th June 2010, 06:44 PM
wow... touch base input to use apps on the mac maybe>?Like… on a MacBook Pro, for instance? :S

Meh 626
7th June 2010, 06:48 PM
Would be okay for a small (and cheap) graphics tablet, get a pogo sketch stylus to draw with and away you go.

mattcooper
7th June 2010, 06:49 PM
Like… on a MacBook Pro, for instance? :S

ruegen
7th June 2010, 07:00 PM
I’m confused. I need someone from Apple to tell me its use. Tomorrow :D

gehenna
7th June 2010, 07:02 PM
Wacom will not be impressed. There goes their Bamboo line.

Apoptosis
7th June 2010, 07:08 PM

Knowing apple they will price this above the bamboo price point. And unless this comes with a stylus (and Apple hate styluses iirc) it's not even the same class of product anyway.

jack112006
7th June 2010, 07:08 PM

No, it doesn't. This thing doesn't look much bigger than the trackpad on my MBP. Wacom makes most of their money off of larger sized tablets.

gehenna
7th June 2010, 07:10 PM
No, it doesn't. This thing doesn't look much bigger than the trackpad on my MBP. Wacom makes most of their money off of larger sized tablets.

There's no way you can judge the size from the images. And unless you've got statistics to back up your Wacom claim you're just conjecturing, like I am.

Huy
7th June 2010, 07:14 PM
You can see it takes up 2x AA batteries. Measure that out?

Compare it to the Bluetooth wireless Alu keyboard which also takes 2x AA.

My guess is that it's the length of an iPhone (bit bigger) and same in height.

MacTime
7th June 2010, 07:15 PM
Awesome! I struggle using a standard mous ever since I started using the multitouch trackpad on my MacBook Pro.

jack112006
7th June 2010, 07:19 PM
There's no way you can judge the size from the images. And unless you've got statistics to back up your Wacom claim you're just conjecturing, like I am.

I can get a rough idea of the size by looking at things like the battery compartment, which give the impression that this thing isn't much bigger than the trackpad on my MacBook Pro. And my statement on Wacom's revenue stream is an educated guess. Basically everyone I know that has picked up a Wacom tablet (myself included) has opted for a size that is at least A5 or larger.

mattcooper
7th June 2010, 07:32 PM
lets have a price guess... Im bidding

$69.95 if its small
$99.95 if its a decent size

NeoRicen
7th June 2010, 07:34 PM
Nah, this is clearly intended for finger use, you'd be mad to buy this thing and expect to use it for anything approaching serious graphics/pen use.

lets have a price guess... Im bidding

$69.95 if its small
$99.95 if its a decent size
I'd bet on the same $99 price point as the Magic Mouse.

What do you mean by 'decent size'? This isn't a tablet, it's a trackpad, there's no need for it to be big, just large enough to do gestures and give some room for finger movement.

nibbles
7th June 2010, 07:44 PM
Perfect for laying on my bed and using my iMac, it gets a bit hard using a magic mouse while laying down. If it's the size of a mbp I'd like it to be about $30

cosmichobo
7th June 2010, 07:46 PM
Given the design (ie current model keyboard-ish), wouldn't it be safe(ish) to assume(ish) that it'd be about that depth? Make sense to me - have it sitting to one side of your keyboard... would look silly being bigger/smaller than it.

And... I'll go all out here, and say - it'll be an option instead of the Magic Mouse... (nearly said "replace" the Magic Mouse, but it's only just been released relatively recently, so doubt that.)

Oh, and - just cos I gotta mention it - if real, it wont be Apple's first stand alone touchpad...

http://macorstock.com/img/20th_anniversary_mac.jpg

hamusta
7th June 2010, 07:47 PM
anyone know what the chinese writing says?

nibbles
7th June 2010, 07:58 PM
No idea but that made me think maybe it's for Chinese character input? Let's hope it's available tomorrow...

coranda
7th June 2010, 08:03 PM
Ever since I first used multitouch on a MBP I have been wishing they'd bring out a touch pad to use with an iMac. I never really thought it'd happen though.

Jopher
7th June 2010, 08:06 PM
If this does turn out to be real I won't be all that keen to get one. As someone who spends a lot of time in photoshop using a mouse it doesn't seem like it would be great for making fine movements.

Vzzzbx
7th June 2010, 08:12 PM
北京 = Beijing
拓 = develop
思科 = Cisco (the company)
技 = skill

Perhaps someone who's less crap at Chinese than me can make better sense of it, but I reckon it just means the tablet was developed by Cisco in Beijing.

QQ is an IM service. The QQ number is like an ICQ number.

Edit: Okay, the QQ account belongs to a 苹果电脑专家 (Apple technician) from Beijing who is in the 计算机业 (computer industry). I know, fascinating.

harrisonx
7th June 2010, 08:24 PM
Not the device for me, as I've recently switched to an iPad full time at home, and a trackpad isn't suitable for the design work I do on my iMac at work. I'm also using TouchPad on my iPad and iPhone to control my MacBook Pro which is now my media centre.

However, if it was a 2 years ago and I was still working at home, I could definitely see how this would be absolutely awesome. I suppose it could replace using my iPad and iPhone to control my MacBook Pro, but that seems unnecessary.

kiwijohn
7th June 2010, 08:24 PM
I do miss multi touch when I haven't got it. Using the MIL's Dell laptop is painful. Even my old ibook with iscroll is better than that piece of junk.

asphotos
7th June 2010, 08:30 PM
it better be powdered by a powerbook g5..

Mael
7th June 2010, 09:23 PM
Judging by the basic dimensions I think it will sit right next to the wireless keyboard and have the same height dimensions.

My guess is that 5 minutes after launch there will be accessories allowing you to attach it to the side of your keyboard.

idiesel
7th June 2010, 09:28 PM
Funny how things work out if this device is for real...

When researching for my recent iMac purchase I was tossing up getting a Windows 7 based touch screen desktop, thinking this may be the way forward for simple computing, viewing photos etc at home. However, I just couldn't get over the fact that a 5" iPhone screen is easy to clean with 1 swipe on a shirt sleeve, but a 22" or 27" screen with finger prints all over it is just not practical, so it was another win for Apple and they got my hard earned cash.
This seems to solve that problem, though not as intuitive as touching something on a screen, it's a possible better interpretation...

We'll see very soon I suppose.

Mael
7th June 2010, 09:37 PM
Another thought.

When using the iPad with a keyboard, some things still need to be touched on screen, perhaps this will allow you to complete all of the navigation without having to touch the iPad at all.

Many possibilities.

Ken-f
7th June 2010, 09:41 PM
Very lucky I didn't end up buying a wacom bamboo! I didn't like it coz it took too much space. This looks great! Lets hope the pricing is 'fair'

yjs
7th June 2010, 09:42 PM
Perhaps Apple is going for the HTPC market and will be selling this along with a HDMI-enabled Mac Mini?

euphospug
7th June 2010, 09:43 PM
Damn i! Really hope there's ONE surprise left tomorrow! Lol

Vipster
7th June 2010, 10:04 PM
Damn i! Really hope there's ONE surprise left tomorrow! Lol

Updated MAC PRO!

Hey I would buy that trackpad if it meant getting a new Mac Pro. I would never use it thou!

AnthoMac
7th June 2010, 10:08 PM
You cant use a stylus on the existing MBP trackpad so Wacom has nothing to worry about. Unless this allows precice movements then they should be worried. But you know what Steve says about styluses.

bigkidnafe
7th June 2010, 10:24 PM
so is this the evolution of keyboard and mouse...

It would be a great innovation, when you have a thought whether your writing a book doing school work or just work at home, its a natural human instinct to want to record your thoughts before they pass on paper as it requires hiting no keys or space or delete

Hopefully that makes sense its i suppose to sum it up its easy to write on paper then type your thoughts. Hopefully with this is a evolutional tool in the computer world

MacMatt
7th June 2010, 10:27 PM
I still don't see it! Keyboard + Mouse + Trackpad ????

MacMatt
7th June 2010, 10:36 PM
I take that back!, The trackpad isn't for the Mac, It's for the new Apple TV!!!

thenewblack
7th June 2010, 10:50 PM
My pitch for the Magic Trackpad ad campaign tagline:

"I'd tap that".

MacMatt
7th June 2010, 11:00 PM
My pitch for the Magic Trackpad ad campaign tagline:

"I'd tap that".

OMG! lol.

bennyling
7th June 2010, 11:32 PM
北京 = Beijing
拓 = develop
思科 = Cisco (the company)
技 = skill

Perhaps someone who's less crap at Chinese than me can make better sense of it, but I reckon it just means the tablet was developed by Cisco in Beijing.

QQ is an IM service. The QQ number is like an ICQ number.

Edit: Okay, the QQ account belongs to a 苹果电脑专家 (Apple technician) from Beijing who is in the 计算机业 (computer industry). I know, fascinating.

As someone who is more crap than you at Chinese (trust me, I am), I applaud your efforts. Nice work :thumbup:

gareth
7th June 2010, 11:38 PM
Also - there better be a stylus option for this!

Doubt it

YouTube - Steve Jobs: "Who wants a stylus?" - Apple - Steve Jobs at Macworld 2007 in San Francisco (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YY3MSaUqMg)

cosmichobo
8th June 2010, 12:14 AM
I haven't used a Magic Mouse beyond showroom display... but - I dare say the touchpads on Apple's powerbooks (yeah, I mean the Macbook/Pros) is a much better input device.

Like I said... I can't imagine Apple deleting the mouse from their range... but ONLY because the Magic Mouse only came out last year. If this device were to appear next year... I wouldn't be shocked to hear Steve say - the mouse is dead...

thenewblack
8th June 2010, 10:18 AM
So no announcement? Just vaporware, or a future release? It looks to me like a natural progression.

Vzzzbx
8th June 2010, 10:21 AM
As someone who is more crap than you at Chinese (trust me, I am), I applaud your efforts. Nice work :thumbup:
Hah, thanks. 科技 could also have meant technology, but Cisco (思科) seemed to make more sense in context. I dunno.

grep
8th June 2010, 05:58 PM
It could also be used as a cheeseboard. :D:D:D

Japester
8th June 2010, 06:59 PM
I would so like this thing. I'm drooling.

davidw89
8th June 2010, 09:35 PM
Since WWDC will run for a while, does this mean more conference/announcement from steve jobs himself?

NeoRicen
8th June 2010, 09:41 PM
Since WWDC will run for a while, does this mean more conference/announcement from steve jobs himself?
No.

entropy
8th June 2010, 10:02 PM
Funny how things work out if this device is for real...

When researching for my recent iMac purchase I was tossing up getting a Windows 7 based touch screen desktop, thinking this may be the way forward for simple computing, viewing photos etc at home. However, I just couldn't get over the fact that a 5" iPhone screen is easy to clean with 1 swipe on a shirt sleeve, but a 22" or 27" screen with finger prints all over it is just not practical, so it was another win for Apple and they got my hard earned cash.
This seems to solve that problem, though not as intuitive as touching something on a screen, it's a possible better interpretation...

We'll see very soon I suppose.

At the risk of totally derailing the thread, I admit I was considering a windows 7 touchscreen machine too. Especially since ALDI will be selling one for $999. However, the ad in the ALDI catalogue turned me right off:
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/media/offers/W23_AllInOne_Entertainment_Centre_PD.jpg

They seriously expect to sell it with a gigantic hand smudge as a feature.

yagankiely
13th June 2010, 11:19 PM
I still find touch desktops incredible impractical. Touch laptop… maybe, but that's still impractical.

nibbles
15th June 2010, 07:45 AM
I still find touch desktops incredible impractical. Touch laptop… maybe, but that's still impractical.

I agree fully, in the shop they are cool as they are right there at a good height when you are standing and they are close to you, take it home and they become very impractical especially on my desk, there is about 80cm the iMac and me and that's a long way to reach just to touch something.

auspad
20th June 2010, 04:51 AM
gotta be carefull with those touch-desktops, they'l get us all fit :D

cosmichobo
20th June 2010, 08:02 AM
I wonder if there's any official provable figures on increases in health since the arrival of the Wii... :)

jeremy_warnock
20th June 2010, 09:48 AM

I cant see it would effect the bamboo line too much. touch is not actuate enough for creatives, and pressure through touch?? too hard to define, and we all know dictator jobs hates the pen input

nibbles
23rd July 2010, 08:36 PM
It has surfaced again on Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/apples-magic-trackpad-gets-fcc-approval/) lets hope it come soon

MattJelonek
27th July 2010, 11:06 PM
revealed! Apple - Magic Trackpad - The Multi-Touch trackpad for your desktop. (http://www.apple.com/au/magictrackpad/)

and purchased!

idiesel
27th July 2010, 11:09 PM
As I posted in another thread, I'd be keen to find out if it supports pinch to zoom and rotate gestures.

MattJelonek
27th July 2010, 11:12 PM
and i bought that battery charger! why bloody not!

MattJelonek
29th July 2010, 12:54 PM
Got it this morning! It's so sleek and nice.... but would have to get use to it if used as a mouse. My hand automatically wants to hold it like a mouse and instead of using my index finger I use my middle one which hurts after a while! odd.

Pics

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs240.snc4/39336_10150234687895287_875530286_13868437_1198102 _n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs086.ash2/37650_10150234688970287_875530286_13868445_5383669 _n.jpg

miaoliver
29th July 2010, 02:26 PM
since i use a wacom for work...be interesting to see how this matches up...keen as!