PDA

View Full Version : PalmOS: Docs To Go Crashing With Mac

harps
14th September 2005, 10:49 AM
Are any of you fellow palm users having problems with getting Docs to Go to sync successfully with your palm & Mac?
Since upgrading to my new T5 I've been having a hell of time in getting Docs to Go to sync with my Mac without crashing.
I've enlisted help through 1src.com formum websites but nothing has worked for me.
Any tips would be greatfully received.

koala
14th September 2005, 09:50 PM
missing sync is a good thing for macs & palm.....you need to pay though

hows life in the birdcage?

yitzyf
14th September 2005, 10:33 PM
I've got the same setup and it's working fine - assuming you're on Tiger with the latest Palm Desktop (there was a Rev B for Tiger compatibility). Although, occasionally Hotsync Manager unexpectedly quits when it gets to Docs to Go. I don't think it helps this issue, but there is a firmware upgrade for the T5 (click here) (http://www.palm.com/au/support/downloads/tungstent5/tungstent5update.html).

I remember having issues with the permissions settings on the Conduits folder. Have a look at ~/Library/Application Support/Palm Hotsync and get info to check who the owner is. It should be your user name I think. If it's not change it to that. You have to go into the menu twice for some weird reason if my memory serves me correct, it switches back to what it was before that otherwise. Then click "Apply to enclosed folders..." Just close the Get Info and open it again to double check.

To keep going with suggestions, I have attached a little Palm app that I got from Dataviz (free - totally legal) called Dataviz Tech which allows you to copy the Docs to Go apps to/from SD card, oruninstall them. Try uninstalling them, then in the desktop app, there's an option under one of the menus to reinstall the Palm apps.

I don't know if any of these will help, but I do remember having an issue with syncing after installing the latest Palm Desktop - I just can't recall exactly what the problem was.

Good luck - I hope at least some of this helps!
yitzyf

harps
19th September 2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. Fortunatly (or unfortunatly as I had to pay) I've now got everything working (touch wood) after purchasing Missing Sync. Docs-to-Go is working perfectly and after a couple of time out crashes coping my entire calendar, contacts, etc from Entourage back onto the palm this is now working well also.
Whilst Missing Sync is a great product and easy to use, I'm disappointed that the standard palm HotSync is so unreliable with Mac.

yitzyf
19th September 2005, 07:14 PM
I've never had to use Missing Sync - I've been using Palm Hotsync for Several years through three generations of Palms, going all the way back to OS 8.6 through to Tiger now, and have never encountered any major problems. So this whole "unreliable" thing is really news to me!

Anyway, glad to hear you're all working!

harps
21st September 2005, 03:54 PM
As an update, Missing Sync is working perfectly for all applications although I am still having a couple of problems with Docs-to-Go.
It worked perfectly on Sunday when I fist installed Missing Sync, but it has played up every day since.
On Monday to fix the problem I reinstalled the entire Missing Sync program.
Last night to fix the problem I installed the DTG 7.006 update patch. http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13662
This patch got Docs-to-Go to work once but then it crashed again.
Obviously something in my Docs-to-Go is unstable, now just need to work out what it is and then fix it!
Benefit of Missing Sync over HotSync is that you can easliy select which programs you sync with, so I was easily able to back up all my data bar Docs-to-Go without crashing the process.