PDA

View Full Version : iPhone OS on desktop computer.

auspad
7th June 2010, 01:58 PM
Hi again I'm gunn a give you all some more hard questions.

I have the option to pick up a eMac 750mhz with 1gb ram for $50, and seeing as the rest of my family will only be using it as a email/facebook checker and now that there used to the (my) iPad, is there any way I can load the iPad/iPhone OS onto it?

Basicly so it could be a cheap thick ultra non portable ipad:D

EDIT: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F%3Fgl%3DGB%26hl%3Den-GB&hl=en-GB&gl=GB#/watch?client=mv-google&v=2wklrVOFMKA) mouse could work like this one here and escape key could be the "home" button.
I think I should have put this into the iPhone OS section, sorry

Keving
7th June 2010, 02:10 PM
Impossible sadly

auspad
7th June 2010, 02:11 PM
Impossible sadly

Why?

gehenna
7th June 2010, 02:12 PM
Because the iPhone OS is designed to work only on specific hardware, namely the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.

Keving
7th June 2010, 02:15 PM
Nobody has made a compatible version. Probably due to hardware restrictions.

You might be able to run the android os. But you'd be much better off with a desktop os.

auspad
7th June 2010, 02:18 PM
Aww. Would you know how to go about putting android in it?

gehenna
7th June 2010, 02:19 PM
here (http://tinyurl.com/3ybv4pp)

auspad
7th June 2010, 02:25 PM
here (http://tinyurl.com/3ybv4pp)

Hahaha that is funny. 1 problem. iPad doesn't have a mouse.
I asked here before search because I trust you guys more than standard Internet noobs

Darwiniandude
7th June 2010, 06:35 PM
The desktop version of OS X is compiled for X86 CPUs. The iPhone/iPad etc use ARM processors, (Acorn RISC Machine) which work in a totally different way. It simoly can't be done. You'd need the course code to iPhone OS to compile it for Intel.

The iPhone simulator that is a part of Xcode does this on the Mac when you're developing software. It compliles your app for Intel. But the simulator contains bare rudimentary applications, there isn't enough there to get a usable OS from.

Apple are no longer compiling desktop versions of OS X for PPC architecture (what your eMac runs).

The eMac will run fine if you can get Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 onto it. Leopard 10.5 will be a bit slow. I'd personally run tiger on that machine instead of bothering with Linux etc. Eg there is no Adobe Flash support for PPC versions of Linux.

For normal web browsing that machine will be fine. YouTube will work, jumpily... HD YouTube not worth bothering with.

Any Intel mac is infinitely faster than these G4 machines, consider an Intel Mac Mini if you can... Or an iPad.

But the eMac will still provide a solid virus free Facebook and Google experience, my mum uses that exact machine daily for all her needs, although she does like my iPad...

sirstaunch
7th June 2010, 10:28 PM
The eMac will run fine if you can get Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 onto it. Leopard 10.5 will be a bit slow. I'd personally run tiger on that machine instead of bothering with Linux etc. Eg there is no Adobe Flash support for PPC versions of Linux.

For normal web browsing that machine will be fine. YouTube will work, jumpily... HD YouTube not worth bothering with.

But the eMac will still provide a solid virus free Facebook and Google experience, my mum uses that exact machine daily for all her needs, although she does like my iPad...

I'll just say that my eMac is the 2005 1.42ghz machine running Leopard 5.8 with 1GB up till the other day is now at 1.5GB. However although this is a faster machine then the one you are going to buy I don't have to many issues with YouTube HD not even before the Ram upgrade. The biggest thing is probably the first ten seconds or so of a HD video may stutter as it's probably trying to cache them or something.

Converting can take some time and hog the processor too, and that could depend on the video. Anyhow I don't be to worried about buying that machine for only $50 and only use for email and FaceBook, but there would be some limits such as what's been mentioned. And wouldn't worry about Leopard just stick to Tiger.