PDA

View Full Version : Spaces

stab
7th June 2010, 10:34 AM
Do you use Spaces?
How do you use Spaces?

I've only just starting using Spaces - just haven't got around to trying it out until now!

Currently I'm trialing it on my Mini to categorize frequent apps I use; Internet, Media, Organise and MP4 (where I convert EyeTV stuff for AppleTV)

I've installed Hyperspaces too so I have different desktop images/names for each space.

What I'm wondering is;
-how and why to use it,
-have any special tricks etc.
-how much system resources does it use?
-is it worth using?

bartron
7th June 2010, 11:14 AM
Do you use Spaces?

All the time

How do you use Spaces?

I'm on a dual screen setup and have four spaces. I've changed the hotkeys to :cmd:+number so space 1 is :cmd:+1, space 2 is :cmd:+2 etc

Space 1 is general stuff. web browsing, mail etc (web on screen 1, mail on screen 2)
Space 2 is for Lightroom
Space 3 is photoshop
Space 4 is for anything that I want to run and not have other apps on the screen.

I drag stuff to different spaces by click-holding the title bar and :cmd:+number...I rarely if ever invoke the spaces view

GeoffP
7th June 2010, 11:24 AM
I have dual screen setup at work and home.

Use 6 spaces:
1 - Web Browsing
2 - iTunes
3 - Pathfinder, Word, Excel, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop
4 - Email apps
5 - General Stuff
6 - uTorrent

Any above app (plus a few others I haven't listed) throw into the relevant space automatically.

Works really, really well.

Vzzzbx
7th June 2010, 11:26 AM
Having used virtual workspaces on Unix and Linux derivatives for around 15 years, I'm still amazed that most people don't. I'm even more amazed that Macs only got a virtual workspace solution a couple of years ago, and that Windows 7 still doesn't offer one.

Virtual workspaces offer by far the most logical and least cluttered method of managing multiple windows, particularly in a working environment. They're also a damned good substitute for multiple screens.

In my current job I use Windows XP and InDesign, as well as GIMP/PhotoShop and a load of browsers. Adobe products don't play nicely with bolt-on virtual workspace solutions like VirtuaWin, so my workspace is a cluttered mess. It's just horrible.

System resources? I've not looked at Spaces, but on other systems it's negligible. All it does is allocate your normal application windows to separate workspaces, all of which use the same wallpaper. It's just a big illusion.

Is it worth using? Absolutely. The only real problem with Spaces is that parts of OS X still haven't caught up with it. The hideous modal dialogues that iTunes insists on using can render the whole app unusable, meaning you have to kill it at process level. The handwriting recognition panel for Asian languages only appears on space 1 for some reason; you have to manually enable it on all spaces if it's to be of any use at all. Other than that, it's the most logical way to use a computer. Do it.

bed
7th June 2010, 03:01 PM
I have 8 spaces and just use a single screen:

1 - File management - PathFinder / Finder, quick text editing, FTP, etc
2 - Safari full screen
3 - Mail full screen
4 - NetNewsWire (RSS Feeds) full screen
5 - Things & iCal half screen each
6 - iTunes full screen
7 - Windows VM (Parallels) full screen
8 - other - pages, XCode, whatever - generally only 1 at any time depending on the task

Running on all spaces is Adium (IM), Echofon (twitter), Evernote, 1Password

I use cmd-# to jump the space I need too. I *may* occasionally use expose in space 1 or 8. Otherwise I can jump straight to the app I want with a shortcut.

The workflow works brilliantly for me.

nibbles
7th June 2010, 04:22 PM
I have 2 spaces, usually I just use the one as my screen is big enough to accommodate what I need. I only use the other space when I am doing web design or a lot of work that is switching between open windows a lot. I used to have 4 spaces on my macbook as it was only 13" which gets cluttered quickly.

snark
7th June 2010, 05:44 PM
I have 4 spaces configured.

#1 is for general use / all applications
#2 is for Citrix client, and my preferred image editor (currently Pixelmator) - I never have both running at the same time.
#3 is for VMware Fusion
#4 is for Remote Desktop connection (controlling my old PC)

sirstaunch
7th June 2010, 10:40 PM
I've been using Spaces all the time, even in Tiger used a Third Party app that did the same. For some reason I turned off spaces last week at the OS must be so use to it that it still thinks it's on, although I don't have access to the hot keys to switch, just command/tab at present, this reminds me, turn it back on, yes it's worth it :D

Phorte
8th June 2010, 05:08 PM
i have 4 spaces setup but should really change to two.

#1 - general finder stuff, adium, irc, chrome
#2 - logic.

this is on a dell 3008fpw (30" lcd) so each space has lots of room as is.

stab
9th June 2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the comments here.

NOW it makes sense - after all your comments I can see the value especially if you only have one screen (but mines a 24" IPS so at least its a decent one!).

I'm starting to see advantages especially when you have multiple windows open and now that I've upped the RAM on the mini I'm not noticing any lag or speed bump which is good.

Thanks a mil!